Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

07 to Axe?

roy2k14

FE
Oct 13, 2014
East Midland, United Kingdom
I'm currently running a nice decent Ego 07, it has got a really nice colour and shoot really smooth also consistently with a +/- 5fps. I like the gun but I think with all the new guns coming out this year it's starting to get old and parts are already hard enough to get hold of. So I looked at the Axe and the second hand going price for a standard one is just about within my budget range, but the thing is I'm still not too sure whether it's necessary to upgrade to an Axe as I'm quite happy with the Ego performance. Would be nice if you guys could throw some opinions at me cheers

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
Axes are beautiful guns, theyre quiet and simple to maintain. Easily the best gun for your money. However, you do need to spend money upgrading them. So if your ego is still on form then id stick with it and spend your money on costs of playing

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
no you dont at all. All any gun has to shoot is 10ish bps these days, what "upgrade" is needed to do that better? They work really good from stock, its all in your head if you think they need money throwing at it to "upgrade".
I would suggest the barrel and the stock board. Ok so 'need to' is perhaps a strong word but ive been using mine for the last 2 years amd found the stock barrel utter crap and the stock board a pain to programme and reprogramme in the event of leaving the battery out. The superfreak barrel kit compliments the gun amazingly and the redline makes board programming far, far easier. You could say no gun needs upgrading because upgrading is done to improve the gun. The Axe, though an incredible gun, can still be upgraded and I would personally say SHOULD be upgraded to get the best from it.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
both those upgrades can add £200 or more to the cost of the gun that costs £250 second hand.

a shockwave board is under £30 and remembers your settings and personally, a barrel is a barrel is a barrel. They are all shiney on the inside. The stock may be a larger bore, and so, a couple of other options wouldnt go a miss.

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
[QUOTE="Bolter, post: 1559367, member:]both those upgrades can add £200 or more to the cost of the gun that costs £250 second hand.

a shockwave board is under £30 and remembers your settings and personally, a barrel is a barrel is a barrel. They are all shiney on the inside. The stock may be a larger bore, and so, a couple of other options wouldnt go a miss.[/QUOTE]
Well yes those two upgrades do add a considerable cost and youre right there are cheaper options out there; the shockwave being one of them. There are also alot of barrel options out there. My point was that the Axe, though incredible, does benefit from upgrading. I would suggest things like new bolts, feednecks and triggers are desireable but not as important as a new board and barrel

Reactions: Bolter

roy2k14

FE
Oct 13, 2014
East Midland, United Kingdom
Thank you you lovely people, I think I'll keep the Ego for now. If I'm getting an Axe I would definitely have to spend some money for an OLED board as I can't stand the standard LED board, and OLED board are quite costy even in the second hand market. @olliewidd the barrel isn't a problem as I already own a full SP freak kit, I will have to agree about the stock board, it will be a pain in the ares to change settings and hard to tell battery level too

southernP8nt

Aug 20, 2008
Thank you you lovely people, I think I'll keep the Ego for now. If I'm getting an Axe I would definitely have to spend some money for an OLED board as I can't stand the standard LED board, and OLED board are quite costy even in the second hand market. @olliewidd the barrel isn't a problem as I already own a full SP freak kit, I will have to agree about the stock board, it will be a pain in the ares to change settings and hard to tell battery level too
I have to say that I made the exact change that you were thinking about, Ego 07 to Axe, and I do personally think that the Axe is a nicer marker. I found it shot smoother than my 07, was a bit softer on paint, more efficient with air and for me it felt nicer in the hand however despite all of that there was nothing at all bad about the Ego, it still shot easily well enough to do whatever was needed and right now unless you feel strongly that you want to shoot something different (which is why I changed, I was simply a bit bored of Planet Eclipse markers) there is no need to change.

The one last thing I would add is that the standard LED board isn't bad at all. Let's be honest, once you've got your marker set up properly how often do you change anything on the board? I know that the only things I ever change once my marker is set up as I like it is the fire mode if I'm going from airball to woodsball when I'll switch from ramping to semi and even with the LED board that could be done in about 10 seconds without the need to a manual.