Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

09 SFL cocker issues

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
Hello chaps, me again

Right, a conundrum. I have an 09 SFL with full belsales pneumatics and internals along with an empire HPR and im having dramas with operating pressure. Essentially the marker will only cycle if the velocity nut on the HPR is pretty much all the way out, anything less and its like the gun doesnt have the pressure to cycle but with the velocity nut all the way out im going to run into velocity issues as the IVG can only go so far. Ive made sure the LPR is open enough and ive installed a fairly strong main spring and with the IVG screwed in as far as itll go it makes a fairly nice bang but im concerned this gives me no room for adjustment should my velocity be under. Any ideas why this may be? Is it a mini cocker thing or is it the belsales pneumatics? Ive tested the HPR on an 01 WGP cocker and it works fine

Thoughts? @user_name @Everyinchtheanimal @Gee Tee @DR MANHATTAN @baudsenseless

Last edited:

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Disclaimer - I only know about mechanical ones, if its an electro try a new battery first?

What HPR reg is it? think you need 350 - 400 psi for a mini cocker normally but this is only for velocity since the LPR should max out about 150 psi anyway. It should actually cycle at much lower LPR pressures. Maybe the RAM needs some fettling - make sure its straight and not over lubed.

The experts will be along in a minute to give real advise.

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
Disclaimer - I only know about mechanical ones, if its an electro try a new battery first?

What HPR reg is it? think you need 350 - 400 psi for a mini cocker normally but this is only for velocity since the LPR should max out about 150 psi anyway. It should actually cycle at much lower LPR pressures. Maybe the RAM needs some fettling - make sure its straight and not over lubed.

The experts will be along in a minute to give real advise.
Its an Empire HPR that looks slightly similar to a bob long torpedo reg. I did notice that the RAM seems a bit slow so it might well be that. What does "fettling" mean?

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
I would say it's the problem behind the bolt. :)

Adjust your output pressure of the inline regulator around 300psi which is good for the 09 SFL Mini.
What internals (Hammer, Main Spring, Valve, Valve Spring) are you using?
The output press is as far as it'll go, anything less than that and the pneumatics won't operate. Or at least the ram has next to no power. The internals are all belsales evo.

Reactions: Canon Fodder

Canon Fodder

Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Sorry fettling = fiddling with, see how stiff it is to opperate by hand, checking everything looks straight.

Going back to your original post you don't control the velocity on a cocker with the HPR (well you do sort of but if the pressure is too high it will result in low velocity same as having it too low), you mainly control the velocity with the thing the cocking rod goes through. you might have your HPR wound too high.

It worries me that your LPR needs to be so high - a belsales ram should be able to run at fairly low pressures.

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
Thats the problem. Because the HPR is set so high I've had to screw the IVG in as far as it'll go to compensate against the massive input pressure. As it is its still not enough to get the velocity up. i just fired it and Id take a guess that I'm in the 220 - 250 fps range and I've got no more wiggle. The RAM seems fine by hand but theres something not right because when you fire it the recocking is really sluggish

Canon Fodder

Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Disclaimer - not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs.

Others will know better but the way I'd aproach this is first a couple of drops of oil in the ASA and fire the marker with the barrel off for five or six shots, that'll get some oil into the RAM and threeway. If that didn't help then I'd drop the hammer out of the back and check there is nothing obstructing the lower tube or anything like grease in there that could drag on the hammer slowing it down in either direction, When putting the hammer back in I'd lower the hammer lug a little at a time until its just catching on the trigger. If its still playing up I'd then do the following:

1) turn the LPR all the way down to zero.
2) turn the HPR all the way down to zero.
3) turn the IVG all the way out then 2 full turns back in.
4) Air up.remembering to cock the cocking rod before you switch the air on.
5) Turn the HPR up a half turn, cock marker by pulling on the back block and chrono.
6) raise the HPR pressure a quarter turn at a time chronoing as you go, at somepoint it should peak, you want it set to that peak ideally (you can then fine tune the velocity with the IVG).
7) now turn your LPR up until the marker starts to cock.

Reactions: Gee Tee

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
Disclaimer - not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs.

Others will know better but the way I'd aproach this is first a couple of drops of oil in the ASA and fire the marker with the barrel off for five or six shots, that'll get some oil into the RAM and threeway. If that didn't help then I'd drop the hammer out of the back and check there is nothing obstructing the lower tube or anything like grease in there that could drag on the hammer slowing it down in either direction, When putting the hammer back in I'd lower the hammer lug a little at a time until its just catching on the trigger. If its still playing up I'd then do the following:

1) turn the LPR all the way down to zero.
2) turn the HPR all the way down to zero.
3) turn the IVG all the way out then 2 full turns back in.
4) Air up.remembering to cock the cocking rod before you switch the air on.
5) Turn the HPR up a half turn, cock marker by pulling on the back block and chrono.
6) raise the HPR pressure a quarter turn at a time chronoing as you go, at somepoint it should peak, you want it set to that peak ideally (you can then fine tune the velocity with the IVG).
7) now turn your LPR up until the marker starts to cock.
Ok ill try all that. Ill take the ram apart and try giving that some love, see what happens

EELZ

never a trading complaint
Oct 29, 2003
wrexham
What type of IVG is it?

Is it the bog standard one or a PE Rex-Dialer kit?