Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Advice on attending the Millennium Series

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
There doesn't seem to have been a great deal of chat on here recently, so I'm not sure if this will get much of a response, if in fact any but I might as well try!

Okay, so this year me and the rest of my team have decided to make the jump and try to play 2 MS events. For a variety of reasons (date clashes and finances), we're planning on playing the latter two dates: Campaign Cup (4-6 July) and World Cup (26-28th September). Now I know there's probably a lot of people who will just say "don't go, it's a waste of money!" Honestly, thanks for taking the time to read this but that's not the help/advice I'm looking for. We're doing this as much for the experience as anything...

RIGHT, so my real questions are about D3 (now Open Division 2) Raceto2. Having never attended an MS event before, I was hoping someone could advise me on a few things. So firstly, how many games should we expect to play? Am I right in thinking that OD2/D3 will only be played on the Saturday/Sunday? Paint wise, I know it's always the million dollar question, but just roughly, budgeting for 25/30 cases max. Too much? Too little?

Assuming that OD2 is only on the weekend, do we need to be there to register on the Friday or something? Or could we theoretically just rock up Saturday and register then? I doubt we'll be planning on training (not even sure if that's on offer from MS?) as we'll mostly use CPPS to get our heads round the layouts. We also probably couldn't afford it. I know each player needs an ID card. Does this need to be done at our first event? Or can I add players to my roster between events? My plan was to take 7 players and try and persuade an 8th person to come with us to coach. Will that be sufficient enough? If the 8th person was to help in the pits, they'd need an ID card, correct? But if they were just there to coach, they wouldn't?

Accommodation wise, do people tend to just go for what's on offer from the MS? Or look for your own dodgey, dingey, cheap motel?

Travelling. Now this is the big question for us. Coming from Edinburgh, everywhere seems far away. Now for CC, I'd be tempted just to drive the whole way down on the Thursday, relax for the Friday, play the weekend then back up the Monday. Assuming WC is somewhere along the lines of where it's been previously, i.e. Paris, anyone got any idea if it's better/cheaper to drive/ferry, drive/eurotunnel, train all the way or fly? I understand no one will be able to give me guaranteed best figures, but any guidance/advice on this matter would be appreciated. I'm somewhat weary about flying with 7 guns and 7 tanks...

And I guess just finally, is there anything I've missed out? I know the entry fees are hefty and have to be paid in advance, and that paint is obviously vendor only (I'm working on that) but I think apart from that, I've got everything... If you've got this far, thank you for reading this much and I hope that if you've played D3 MS or really any level MS event before, you'll be willing to impart a bit of your mystic wisdom on to me. Honestly, any advice would be much appreciated. Don't want to travel all the way down and ruin the weekend because I've forgotten to sort something out!

Thanks again and of course, if you want to keep up with our travels when we do eventually go to an MS event, feel free to follow us on ye olde faceybee ;) https://www.facebook.com/DinEidynPaintball

Reactions: Havard407

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
You can register your players/pit crew on-line and pay for entry/passes in advance, then just pick up the cards and wristbands at the event. In theory, you could turn up on Saturday morning, but, if your games are in the first group (sods law they will be) you'll find it pretty hard to get yourselves sorted out with IDs, wristbands, paint and a pit space before the games start! Much better to turn up at a reasonable time on Friday, get everything sorted so you can roll on to site on Saturday morning and concentrate on getting yourself in the pits and game ready.

Paint consumption will depend on the way you guys play and the layout of the field, but your numbers should cover it, talk to the UK reps for the paint you want to shoot, shoot their paint at CPPS and work out a deal, some may even let you settle the bill when you get back from the event.

Your prelim games will be Race to two format, back to back points as played at CPPS, the rules are pretty much the same, just don't expect the refs to be as lenient as you might find them at a domestic. Not only are their jerseys black and white, but their calls are too!

7 players should be enough but I would suggest you roster your 8th as if they are 'coaching' from the spectator side you will want to be able to discus game plans, what happened and what you might need to change etc. between games with out you all having to leave the pits between each game. MS don't class anyone shouting from the snake side as a 'coach', they reserve this term for what you might otherwise call a team manager. OD2 (nee Div 3) Rosters are not locked, theoretically you could turn up at each of 4 events with a completely different roster, as long as none of your players had played for any other teams in that season.

As for accommodation, even with the MS's alleged booking codes, suitable accommodation can usually be found though the normal booking sites for better value, they may be a little further afield, but not much. Unfortunately, for Basildon and Chantilly (I'm pretty sure the venues will be exactly as this year), it is harder to find self catering accommodation for groups.

When you get there you'll really need transport, the only venues with accommodation on site are Puget and Bitburg, and even then you'll need to get there! Chantilly is a way out of Paris, you could fly/take the train and hire a car, but the most cost effective may be to make the roadtrip, Check all the ferry prices the crossing is normally about 90 minutes, its quicker on the Eurotunnel and if you have Tesco Clubcard points you can exchange these for a voucher. http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=3223& bci=4294967191|Travel

Hope that helps!

One thing you forgot is media coverage :whistle: I should be at all the CPPS and MS events next year ;)

Reactions: Thorpe

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
@onasilverbike thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I think you just about covered everything there...

One thing I did pick up on from what you said, was that you needed to find a pit space? So how does that work? I'm assuming they aren't pre-allocated like CPPS and that you just use the same pit space for the whole weekend?

You mention that the prelim with be RT2 which is fine. Any idea on number of matches you get in the prelims? Assuming you get through, in OD2/D3 how many teams go through? 8? 4?

Understood about the coach though. Think I'd probably do that. Would it be better to have the 8th person as 'pit crew' or as an actual player (ID card wise)?

With the hotels, I was thinking the same UK based. For WC however, I'd be tempted to take their prices to simplify things but will make sure to have a look around first!

And yeah, I think you're right about the travelling. It's going to be pretty rubbish and involve overnighting somewhere down south too I imagine! Meaning that we'd probably have to leave even earlier to get to WC on the Friday.

And yeah, if we're making the journey, might as well look at media coverage too eh ;)

Thorpe

Lucky 15s
Mar 13, 2010
In the pits at Mills there is typically room for 4 teams at a time (2 at each end of the field), and a "players area" behind the fields/pits where you wait if you aren't playing or next to play. Your team is allowed into the pits shortly before your games start as soon as there is space, so its advised to keep good tabs on how the schedule of that field is running so you don't get caught out.

From what I remember, I'm pretty sure Div3 had 5 prelim games last year (3 Saturday, 2 Sunday morning) but there is a good few players on here that will be able to confirm if thats correct or not. The number of teams that go through depends on the number of teams that enter. There are division tables on the Mills site that show how many teams go through depending on how many enter but I can't find it right now :oops: I would say unless they get a really low turnout, at least 16 will go through to knockout stages.

In the pits you're allowed 7 rostered players and 3 pit crew (all must have ID cards). The 3 pit crew have to have IDs (either player or pit ID) but they don't have to be rostered to your team, so no reason you couldn't ask some friendly faces if you need a hand and they aren't busy with their own teams at the same time.

Hotel wise the ones on the Mills site will see you staying in hotels around lots of players, so good on that social side, but there is good and cheaper hotels nearby as well if you have the means to travel.

What I would say is even if its a bit cheaper, don't rush it by trying to get there and sort everything Saturday morning. Like Peter said, if you're unfortunate and get the first block Saturday morning, you'll want to be on site about 07:15 latest to sort paint and get sorted ready for games. Far better to get there Friday, watch some paintball, chat to players about what paint to shoot, try some paint out, get game plans sorted, and get all the admin stuff sorted (it doesn't take a long time but if the admin booth is busy Saturday morning that going to waste your prep/warm up time).

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Cheers @Thorpe that answers a lot :) Our plan would be to come on the Friday anyway, want to enjoy as much of it as possible!

5 prelims? Wasn't expecting that many but that would be good! So absolute maximum of 9 matches.

Okay, sounds good about the pit! Will definitely try and bring an 8th person though I think. Will definitely bear in mind what you've said about accommodation though. I guess it's hard to know what's best until the actual event details come out.

Thanks again for the help, I think that answers pretty much all my questions

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
In the pits at Mills there is typically room for 4 teams at a time (2 at each end of the field), and a "players area" behind the fields/pits where you wait if you aren't playing or next to play. Your team is allowed into the pits shortly before your games start as soon as there is space, so its advised to keep good tabs on how the schedule of that field is running so you don't get caught out.
Thorpie, the 4 teams in the pit is race to 4, in the race to 2 division the whole group will be in the pits for pretty much the duration of the prelim sets, therfore, unless you want to get stuck in the ****ty corner, its a good idea to get in the pits sharpish and bag a spot, likewise, unless you want to abandon your kit in there, you need to stay until your games are done. ;)

Thorpe

Lucky 15s
Mar 13, 2010
Thorpie, the 4 teams in the pit is race to 4, in the race to 2 division the whole group will be in the pits for pretty much the duration of the prelim sets, therfore, unless you want to get stuck in the ****ty corner, its a good idea to get in the pits sharpish and bag a spot, likewise, unless you want to abandon your kit in there, you need to stay until your games are done. ;)
See, much better to hear from someone that knows what they are talking about :cool:

Reactions: frobinson

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Ohh, one last question, how far in advance of the dates does the MS allow team registration/payment? Will the booking open up all at the same time, or do they tier them in accordance with the event dates? So basically, should I be worried trying to gather money now or do I have time? :p

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
Like it's been said, in Div 3 you'll be split into groups and then you'll be in the pits throughout the whole of your groups games on the Saturday.
On the Sunday, you'll be pulled into the pits a game or 2 before yours to get sorted (and more than likely always start to the opposite end than where your pit is ;))

We played Campaign this year, and made it through to the Last 8, and I think we used 18 cases of paint altogether. Although when we got home we probably still had 1-2 cases podded up, but bearing in mind the finals are Race-to 4 then i'd probably say 25 cases as a maximum if you were to go all the way. Best to ask someone from Lethal Bizzle and they're the ones who knocked us out and went on to win the finals.

And as for accommodation then always look around, we've just sorted accommodation for Bitburg for £161, and the hotels they suggested would have cost us about £600, so there will be cheaper options. And I know you can camp at Campaign if they keep it in Basildon again this year, so that can keep your costs down a bit as well.

But whatever happens, it's a great experience and you'll love it, nothing beats playing a major event like the Mills, and at the end of the weekend then all the money will be worth it.

Reactions: frobinson

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Like it's been said, in Div 3 you'll be split into groups and then you'll be in the pits throughout the whole of your groups games on the Saturday.
On the Sunday, you'll be pulled into the pits a game or 2 before yours to get sorted (and more than likely always start to the opposite end than where your pit is ;))

We played Campaign this year, and made it through to the Last 8, and I think we used 18 cases of paint altogether. Although when we got home we probably still had 1-2 cases podded up, but bearing in mind the finals are Race-to 4 then i'd probably say 25 cases as a maximum if you were to go all the way. Best to ask someone from Lethal Bizzle and they're the ones who knocked us out and went on to win the finals.

And as for accommodation then always look around, we've just sorted accommodation for Bitburg for £161, and the hotels they suggested would have cost us about £600, so there will be cheaper options. And I know you can camp at Campaign if they keep it in Basildon again this year, so that can keep your costs down a bit as well.

But whatever happens, it's a great experience and you'll love it, nothing beats playing a major event like the Mills, and at the end of the weekend then all the money will be worth it.
Awesome! Sounds like we're planning along the right lines then! Hopefully people will be around to guide us/that I can ask!

I'm sure it'll be a great experience :)

So if anyone knows about signup dates, that would be great...