Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Backup pew pew

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
So my main setup (now that I have to get a new GI bottle that's legal in the EU), is a Geo 3.1 Buccaneer as seen in avatar, with the IV Core. I'm quite happy with this marker and I'm not really looking to make it a backup just yet.

So some advice is needed, or viewpoints, or opinions, whichever you'd prefer.

Backup gun to grab out of the kit bag, air up and bring onto the field during practice or a tourny.

Used LV1? Currently 525-ish pounds
Used Luxe? ~500 pounds
Another Geo 3.1 with IV Core? I've seen 550-600 for those.
I've seen some super cheap DM14's as well for ~410-430

I have to admit, I am a bit worried that the LV2 is around the corner or within 6 months, and I can get one of those and make the Geo my backup.

I have not shot the LV or Luxe so not sure about personal opinion on them. For folks who have shot/owned both, how was the upkeep? I'd prefer dead simple grab and go, but I do like to tinker a bit so I'm not afraid to do it.

So any thoughts?

CameronS

Sep 30, 2013
Kent
No point buying if you don't know what they feel like, or shoot like that's just throwing cash and praying you like it (I'm a fine one to talk as I always do it!) however a LV1 is a poppet which is completely different to the marker you have been shooting and the ones you have shown an interest in.

Try before you buy!

And in my option if your getting a 'back up' it will spend 90% of the time in your kit bag (that's if you don't intend to use it) so there's no point spending loads on one that won't see much use. Get a geo 3 and stick an if core in it ! And to be honest I doubt your 3.1 will go down very often as planet eclipse guns are solid and shoot ropes no matter what.....

Compared that to a DM14.... Probably the least reliable back up in the world I'd say haha just above a proto rail or a pmr haha. Seriously tho DMs require maintenance and care if your looking for a trust marker to fall back on and save you when you need a marker most I wouldn't go for a DM unless you are 1000% clued up and you can fault find in the field pretty quick.
On the other hand despite it being a pain in the arse I loved and miss my Dm14... A lot

That's just my opinion.....

Reactions: Spikerz

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Dont waste your money on a backup. I mean, how likely is the bucc gonna go down? Backup guns, in my experience, either stay in the kitbag forever, or they are loaned out to people who havent paid for it.

Which is cool, if thats how you like it.

Reactions: H and Spikerz
May 25, 2005
Norfolk
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
No point buying if you don't know what they feel like, or shoot like that's just throwing cash and praying you like it (I'm a fine one to talk as I always do it!) however a LV1 is a poppet which is completely different to the marker you have been shooting and the ones you have shown an interest in.

Try before you buy!

And in my option if your getting a 'back up' it will spend 90% of the time in your kit bag (that's if you don't intend to use it) so there's no point spending loads on one that won't see much use. Get a geo 3 and stick an if core in it ! And to be honest I doubt your 3.1 will go down very often as planet eclipse guns are solid and shoot ropes no matter what.....

Compared that to a DM14.... Probably the least reliable back up in the world I'd say haha just above a proto rail or a pmr haha. Seriously tho DMs require maintenance and care if your looking for a trust marker to fall back on and save you when you need a marker most I wouldn't go for a DM unless you are 1000% clued up and you can fault find in the field pretty quick.
On the other hand despite it being a pain in the arse I loved and miss my Dm14... A lot

That's just my opinion.....
Nothing personal but it really winds me up when people trot out this 'DM's need a lot of maintenance' guff.
I pull my DM7 out of my bag every six months, put a battery in it and it's sweet as a nut, occasionally she gets a clean and a bit of lube but no more than any other marker.
I had a DM14 and it was exactly the same, ball on ball accurate and very much plug and play.

Compare that to the machine vapor I've just got where there are about a million different settings to change rather than the four options on the dye board!.

My opinion based on ten years of using Dye markers.

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Superb discussion all!

This is why I asked. Part of me is a bit of a worry nut. I'm used to grabbing an Angel out of my bag and it being bang on ball after ball with almost no love whateoever.

I had a couple issues with paint barrel match with my revenge v2 back in the day (why did I ever get rid of it) and it was nice to be like, no worries, bonebrake angel in the bag, boom ready to roll and get points.

The geo 3.1 seems to be pretty rock solid you're right. I may just be being a bit over cautious as heading to Puget is my first proper tourney in a long time.

Side note about the LV2, I only know that it will come "one day" because PE filed a patent/copyright on the name. One day could seriously be 3 years or 3 months from now, I have 0 knowledge of it's release date.

I guess it's also a bit strange to have a gun or series of guns that are so reliable. In the past if you didn't have 2 full setups you were asking to be hosed. I remember sitting at a pre game chrono and being like...oh jesus gun is down!, and being able to grab a backup with 2 seconds notice and not having to worry. Now it seems like things are really reliable and rock solid.

Last DM I played with had the uber cheater board in it, and it was like pull the trigger 2 times, wait 1 second, pull it 3 more times and bam basically full auto.

smudgerebt

Rockin VIP Cocker, So-Manc E1, LV1
Apr 19, 2014
Near Stockport
I don't do tourneys just walk-on and big games.

However, run a Autococker as the back up to the electric.

My thinking is if anything goes Pete Tong with the electric then the mech being more basic will just keep going.

As for the LV2, they did that in 2013 so probably just a bulk copyright thing.

Reactions: Spikerz

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Meh, backups are overrated as @Bolter says. If you know how to maintain your marker and diagnose any faults which may crop up then you're golden.

Short of blowing a solenoid or physically breaking a component, which is bloody hard to do. then a decent spares kit/toolbox should be all you need and much cheaper than a spare marker leaving you more to spend on paint :D

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Back up smackup, the 3.1 with an IV Core is as up to date as you can get less the QR bolt of the 3.5! I know guys who had this set upall last year in PE development guns without a problem all season. If the unexpected happens a) there are Planet techs on site, b) at least one of your team is bound to have a spare! Save the money and you can buy mee a beer on site, or even better bring me one to site ;)