The Home Of European Paintball

Baldrick [Millennium] on the Rack !

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Interestingly this was sent to Ulrich MS - Thu 27/05/2010 17:59

The rules on the site are dated 2006
Is it not time that these were updated especially as various leagues around Europe use them as a bench mark.
Considering that rules are altered every year, yet the Millennium Series is only 4-5 events in the middle of the year, surely it not much of an effort to spend a couple of days to update the main downloadable document

Regards

This was recieved Thu 27/05/2010 18:11 from Ulrich MS

[FONT=&quot]Agree, the date on first page can be updated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There were no rule changes from 2009 to 2010.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Agree as well, a major update of the rules as they are presented is due.
[/FONT]

Gavin - 44pix

44pix Paintball Photography
Jun 16, 2008
www.facebook.com
I think the majority of the moans and groans are to do with cost/value for money!

I expect that the MS expenditure for putting on such events is freaking out of this world...
- cost of transporting, loaning, setting up, storage the netting/poles/bunkers etc
- cost of loaning out land

.. and the MS have to recoupe these costs from their customers (us :( ), whether that's directly or indirectly (high costs for vendors = higher prices)

I'd imagine it would be far much cheaper to host such events at sites which already exist... for example, why pay out good money to external sources (i.e. landlords) when you can circulate money within paintball. Yeah, the mills would have to find 4/5 sites around Europe that are big enough to host large events. I'm not sure how feasible this is in other countries, just keeping it local, could NTPC host such events for England? IMO - Its not impossible to host an event on the new site, yeah there's areas which would need to be looked at to host it there but I'd think it would be far more cost effective for the Mills there. My point is, the rent money will be kept within the sport... that's unless Rich decides to purchase shares in Haribo ;) ... and hopefully costs would be reduced.

I also agree on the point raised earlier... why are the events hosted in or near capital cities (London, Paris...), you're just adding more costs to the events and players!

I think the MS should take a good look at their expenditure and find ways on reducing this significantly, assuming they arent already doing so! If you make it cheaper to host events then you can make it cheaper for players, vendors and traders... then hopefully you see large volumes of teams attending and committing to MS events.

Regarding the little plastic ID cards, £35 (or £25 if you pre-registered) isnt that bad if you're playing all 4 Mill events... however I do understand people moans if they're only attending the single events.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
From what I remember about the event in Birmingham, the major gripe from the overseas teams was even though Birmingham is an international airport, the cost for them to fly there over the cost to fly to London is very disproportionate, plus the hotel costs were not significantly cheaper either.

P8ntballer.Com

Administrator
Mar 31, 2009
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Eeek!!!

Frikkin' ell, I got me work cut out with you lot :)

I think one of the problems I am gonna encounter here is distilling all these down to the ones that are the most important and I do not want to take any of you guys for granted but my guess as to what I would want looked at is the 'value for money' aspect; can you guys just let me know if I'm way off base on this or you maybe think something else usurps my suggestion in terms of prime place for consideration.

I'll leave this thread open for another 2 weeks and then once everybody has had their say, I'll try and pull out the most important problems.

The reason I think I have to do this is because if I go to those guys with all the problems listed you have all brought up then I'm gonna have to write them on a toilet roll.
But .... if you guys think I should submit all of your problems to them, then let me know and I'll do just that.
Your call people ... I am but your messenger and your advocate ... and with that in mind, let's hope the Millennium guys don't kill the messenger.

Robbo

PS The reason I am posting under this user name is because I don't want to hit 10,000 posts yet until I have sorted out the prize for you guys in the competition.
The 10,000th post will include all details of this comeption.
That won't be the only content of that post because I have thought to myself that seeing as it's a forum landmark, I should make sure it contains some of the most important things to me, either good or bad, and it would be cool to recognise this all with a great prize competition.
As for what that prize is?
I am in negotiation with someone at the moment, that's all I can say and I got my fingers crossed that he's in a generous mood.
The competition I was gonna run was to have you lot guess the number of chicks that have fallen under my pheromone spell since I was 14 .....I was persuaded not to because my wife would have eventually found out it would have totalled more than 400.

She of course believes the real number lies somewhere between 20 and 30, well she's correct in a way but what I failed to tell her was, that was for 1973 alone ....

Okay, I'll shut up now and get back to haggling with my mate for a prize ... if his generosity fails to live up to my expectations, I'll have to lob in a few quid to make things a little more interesting.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
The competition I was gonna run was to have you lot guess the number of chicks that have fallen under my pheromone spell since I was 14 .....I was persuaded not to because my wife would have eventually found out it would have totalled more than 400.

She of course believes the real number lies somewhere between 20 and 30, well she's correct in a way but what I failed to tell her was, that was for 1973 alone ....
Let's hope she or one of her friends do not read this, then. ;)

scott_peters

London Impact
Jul 9, 2007
cambridge
I would like to see some kind of player lock or something - By that i mean players from higher divs should not be allowed to sandbag in lower divisions ! i have played all the mills so far apart from malaga and every event there are players from much higher divs guesting for teams and it shouldnt be allowed, we all pay alot of money to play these events to get torn to bits by div 1 and higher ranked players ?

Whats next Greenspan playing M5 ?

slam

Euro, ICPL and ECPL ref.
Feb 27, 2002
North Yorkshire
The rule book as previously stated by other people definitely needs updating and the verbal rule announcements need to stop. How can the premier tournament series in Europe justify announcing rule changes without updating their published rule book?

Luke W

The Firm
Oct 7, 2006
Salford
Just to say it again, the rule book definitely needs updating. A detailed explanation on some certain issues that people are moaning about at the moment would be nice as well. In the past, different refs/fields have interpreted rules differently and punishments for players doing the same things have varied between nothing and a two-event suspension (according to a Millennium head ref). Obviously interpretations are always going to vary, but a little more could be done to make the decisions more consistent.

The entry fees are expensive, but I'd rather be paying what we paid last year for Division One and still have prize money for the top four positions, but this decision was made after team captains were asked to fill out a questionnaire at the end of last season so I doubt it'll be changed. I'd also rather pay the extra entry fee to have paid refs rather than division one teams reffing, especially when it comes to reffing Division One games.

It'd be nice to play all games on one field like in some past events (e.g. a CPL field, a SPL field etc..) to stop slightly different fields affecting games. Unfortuantely this isn't helped by the lack of teams and games from previous events having to be played. It would be nice if there was a scheduled time when players could walk the fields on the Thursday and at lunch times as well. But obviously the games that need to be caught up from previous rounds affects this as well.

Also, if they can't fill Division One then maybe unlocking it would be a good idea towards getting a few extra local teams at each event. Maybe teams who commit to play the whole series and pay their entry fees in advance would get a discount/cheaper rate but teams could still play division one by playing events on a one-off basis. Hopefully there would still be plenty of teams committing to the whole series in order to get a good series score/SPL promotion but the extra few teams would stop nearly everybody making Sunday (out of the five groups, the top three in four groups go through and all four teams in one group will make it through to Sunday. Considering it is apparently Division One of largest European paintball tournament, it is too easy to make it through to Sunday).

But on a more positive note, I wasn't in Malaga because of the volcano and I know that teams that managed to make it were annoyed thanks to the weather etc (maybe not holding it in Malaga at this time of the year could fix the weather issue) but I thought the Millennium's response towards teams that couldn't make it because of the flying restrictions was good; they could easily have f*cked over the teams by giving them no points, but the opportunity to take an average score, or play the unplayed games was very good, in my opinion.

There's probably more, but I can't think of it this early in the day :)

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com
I would like to see some kind of player lock or something - By that i mean players from higher divs should not be allowed to sandbag in lower divisions ! i have played all the mills so far apart from malaga and every event there are players from much higher divs guesting for teams and it shouldnt be allowed, we all pay alot of money to play these events to get torn to bits by div 1 and higher ranked players ?

Whats next Greenspan playing M5 ?
Pete,

This is similar to what we discussed this morning on the phone. However I was going one step further by Removing Team Roster locks and Divisionally Rank Players.

The PSP does something similar whereby a player that plays Div 1 can only play div 1 or higher. Once they go higher they can't go lower unless they have been missing a whole season. I would probably follow a similar guideline but add that players can only drop one division per season missed.

This will stop teams that were SPL last year who aren't playing this seasons MS registering a team under another name and then playing Div 3 / M5 like we have seen this year.

Of course there are some exceptions to this rule. "Operation Sandbaggers" is a good example where a fun team of experience enter the low divisions to avoid locked divisions and being forced to play every event. They would then fall foul of this and would have to play higher divisions. Of course that isn't the issue - it's the locked leagues that are an issue in this case.

Sandbaggers is also a bad example as the thread about their sportsmanlike conduct shows that some teams aren't just in the lower divisions for the spoils of glory.

In my scenario at the end of each season players rank up with their teams if they make the next division or get relegated if they have a bad year!

I would also allow transfers between teams within the same division. Whilst we don't really want people swapping willy nilly it does allow some flexibility when teams fall out and in emergencies like Malaga teams in the same division could help each other out. Perhaps adding a small nominal transfer fee of say 50 Euro would discourage the willy nillys while allowing the absolutely necessaries.

Whilst on the subject of Rosters under current rules - why do SPL & above have to name their whole roster before the first event? Why can't you fill your roster throughout the year? What difference does it really make?