Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrel diameter

AndyPandy

Jan 30, 2015
West Midlands
Hi there Bob... As Paul says welcome to the world of paintball... The guys I play with swear by upgrading stock barrels... Improved accuracy etc etc... However i have a follow on question (I'm pretty new myself) for those with far greater knowledge and experience... With a freak set you get different diameters which i understand are for different paint / weather conditions and alike... However how do you determine which insert to use...? Do you make a note of it whenever you use different paint or do you trial and error when you're chrono'ing your marker before play...? Interested in other's opinions on selecting the right insert please... Thanks

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
I use the old school blow pipe test. Take a ball, put it in the back of the barrel and it should lodge in there without rolling out. Give it a good puff and it should fly out and smack your hand or from hip height should break.
If it rolls out, it'll rattle around as it shoots so accuracy can take a small hit.

Reactions: Canon Fodder

AndyPandy

Jan 30, 2015
West Midlands
Cheers Spikerz... Good one... Actually saw someone do that at our last training session.. however he blew as hard as he could and shot the ball all the way across the pits... Haha... Any more tips and tricks...?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
There are points of view in support of all of:

Barrel match - as close a match as possible and the blowpipe test. The ball won't roll out and you can blow it without excessive puff

Underbore - the ball is tight inside the barrel

Over bore - the ball is smaller than the barrel and a cushion of air sits around the ball

There are situations to support all of the above and you may be looking for efficiency, consistency depending on your preferences

Hammerhead give a guide for accuracy through consistency

http://hammerheadpaintball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=35

AndyPandy

Jan 30, 2015
West Midlands
Nice one tommikka.. Will try this out at the weekend... Definitely better to err on the side of caution I guess... Too tight and you will chop paint all day... Cheers

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
. Too tight and you will chop paint all day... Cheers
Just a pedantic correction, break not chop

Chops are where the ball is not seated in the breach ready for the bolt
You know this from the shell around the bolt, and this should be a thing of the past. Something is wrong if this happens

Breaks are within the barrel