Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Barrel size question......

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The efficiency gains aren't really worth it if you get one break in the number of shots you get off a tank, plus how often do you actually run out of air?. If you're trying to get 40 shots out of a 12 gram then it is worth it but otherwise its not in my opinion.
The absolute truth

At a walkon or tournament when you go in and out of games then you have a very inefficient gun, a tiny air source or are spewing paint. Even with 3000psi fills players should be capable of lasting a game

Those that I have seen run out of air have been those who failed to refill - make it routine to fill as you leave a game. A certain amount of cockiness may come from efficiency

Even at big games then the chances are you will be in and out at reasonable times

Efficincy is a factor that can be worked on, but it does not have to be a deciding factor. With efficiency, consistency and accuracy I would prefer consistency
'Accuracy' in paintball comes from consistency which gives you a better sense of whether a ball will go in the direction you point it at a distance from what you're pointing at

Efficiency is low on my priorities - can I shoot the paint I'm carrying?

There is no real penalty to me for being inefficient on air - it's free to me as a player (it costs the site in generator, fuel & maintenance)
And unless there are giant queues I have easy access to air. If there are giant queues then I can choose my times, or queue with the rest of them

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
The absolute truth

At a walkon or tournament when you go in and out of games then you have a very inefficient gun, a tiny air source or are spewing paint. Even with 3000psi fills players should be capable of lasting a game

Those that I have seen run out of air have been those who failed to refill - make it routine to fill as you leave a game. A certain amount of cockiness may come from efficiency

Even at big games then the chances are you will be in and out at reasonable times

Efficincy is a factor that can be worked on, but it does not have to be a deciding factor. With efficiency, consistency and accuracy I would prefer consistency
'Accuracy' in paintball comes from consistency which gives you a better sense of whether a ball will go in the direction you point it at a distance from what you're pointing at

Efficiency is low on my priorities - can I shoot the paint I'm carrying?

There is no real penalty to me for being inefficient on air - it's free to me as a player (it costs the site in generator, fuel & maintenance)
And unless there are giant queues I have easy access to air. If there are giant queues then I can choose my times, or queue with the rest of them
good post, and solid info for new players and old players to live by.

my only reason for posting as i have is that there are a LOT of misguided players who believe a bore match is everything and it just isn't truth and it catches a lot of people out when they moan that their so and so "supergun" is really inconsistent and as such inaccurate

Reactions: Canon Fodder

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I try to size match my bore to paint if possible (especially on closed bolt markers) and this does make a difference to performance.

A lot of paint sold now is very small making this impossible to do on factory barrel sizes. The smallest commonly being supplied is a 0.685" and I've had paint roll out of a 0.679" freak insert

Underboring usually results in a lot of breaks which is bad news in tournament play, which is why most players overbore at the expense of efficiency

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
I try to size match my bore to paint if possible (especially on closed bolt markers) and this does make a difference to performance.

A lot of paint sold now is very small making this impossible to do on factory barrel sizes. The smallest commonly being supplied is a 0.685" and I've had paint roll out of a 0.679" freak insert

Underboring usually results in a lot of breaks which is bad news in tournament play, which is why most players overbore at the expense of efficiency
unfortunately no....As in my previous post this is false but yes most players will use overbore and will have zero issue in doing so other than efficiency but a bore match is specifically worse in 99% of cases

read the data if you fancy doing some research

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
I do respect Punkworks efforts to investigate things like this, their efforts have helped dispell a lot of the snake oil in paintball.

Having said that those videos prove that paint that goes from the bag, to a hopper and get fired straight away indoors survive an extreme underbore, I've not seen an empirical test of paint thats been sitting in a hopper for two hours on a drizzling day through a major underbore but my money would be on significantly more breaks compared to someone overboring or bore matching (which would probably be under boring by the time you pulled the trigger).

Do they specify the grade of the paint in the video? (got the sound off as I'm at work).

Also the ifit inserts are chamfered so the ball isn't experiencing the same violent diameter change as it would in a freak.

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
It's field-mid grade so equivalent shield-claymore sterling etc

And to the best of my knowledge moisture makes paint swell and far more malleable so irrelevant in barrel breaking but likely to chop instead

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
At any rate my main point in this thread is that paint to bore match is bad when compared to either over or underbore on all markers.

Obviously I can't bring everyone round to this way of thinking (too many years of bad habits) but it is flat out wrong to suggest that bore match is in anyway positive over the 2 alternatives even if you play in a swamp...

ckennedy

Feb 28, 2016
I'm mainly asking from an accuracy/consistency point of view. I have a gtek with a 1.1l tank so efficiency isn't really a problem. Even taking 4 160pods and a full hopper out I still have air left after a game and fill up between games. My biggest problem is I have fired live ammo and the round hits where you aim rather than flying off like paint can/will. I just want to get idea how to improve the accuracy and consistency of my shot.

A lot of what has been said makes sense and I know a certain percentage is trial and error but I only started the sport this year so the more input the better.

I have stopped buying site paint as most of what I was getting at the couple of sites I had been to was a bit 50p like in shape. The last stuff I brought was nice and round but a bit to hard so didn't always break when shooting at someone. The paint of course being probably the biggest improvment you can make?

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
I'm mainly asking from an accuracy/consistency point of view. I have a gtek with a 1.1l tank so efficiency isn't really a problem. Even taking 4 160pods and a full hopper out I still have air left after a game and fill up between games. My biggest problem is I have fired live ammo and the round hits where you aim rather than flying off like paint can/will. I just want to get idea how to improve the accuracy and consistency of my shot.

A lot of what has been said makes sense and I know a certain percentage is trial and error but I only started the sport this year so the more input the better.

I have stopped buying site paint as most of what I was getting at the couple of sites I had been to was a bit 50p like in shape. The last stuff I brought was nice and round but a bit to hard so didn't always break when shooting at someone. The paint of course being probably the biggest improvment you can make?

From an accuracy point of view, ball on ball.
You need a consistent marker that outputs the same amounts of air at each trigger pull.
A quality bottle regulator that does the same.
I slightly underbore, so i can't blow it through the barrel with my lungs.
Use quality paint, you do get what you pay for, unless it hasn't been stored correctly or its old.
I've tried lots of markers the most efficient combo I've ever found is a GEO 3.5/ LV1 with a Ninja pro reg.
Selection of barrel backs or a Freak kit and your good to go.

Reactions: GRIMLOCK