Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Best marker for punter days?

wingnutLP

May 28, 2007
Co2 plume in cold weather on a syphon bottle (piss poor velocity & consistency on gas only) was like a fire extinguisher. After a few shots you vanished in a cloud of gas and couldn't see what you were aiming at, but you made a nice target for everyone else :rolleyes:
Is there any way to stop the plume you get with some guns? It is really annoying not being able to see where your shots go!

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Is there any way to stop the plume you get with some guns? It is really annoying not being able to see where your shots go!
Just in case you don't know, but the CO2 gas that paintball guns run on is stored in the bottle as a liquid, which turns to a gas as it is released to atmosphere. You generally only really get this plume in cold weather on shagged site guns. The plume of smoke is basically where a drop of liquid CO2 passes through the gun and then vaporises as it leaves the barrel, hence the big puff.

Now to start with you "MUST" have an anti-syphon tube http://www.hamburgerhill.co.uk/SPLATMAN-SHOP/air_and_co2_systems/co2_tank_anti_siphon_tube.asp fitted to your bottle and fitted correctly. basically they are just a brass tube on a screw thread that is bent up vertically inside your bottle so that when the gun is held in your normal firing position the tube sits in the vapour and not in the liquid that's inside the bottle. The problem is that as you run around, and tip the gun up and down, liquid can and does still find it's way down the tube.

A more effective method is to use a coiled remote hose http://www.shop.justpaintball.co.uk/acatalog/CMI_Coil_Remote_Hose_with_Quick_Disconnect.html that allows you to wear the gas bottle on your back in your pack, making your gun lighter but also massively reducing the risk of liquid passing into the gun.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/articles/goingremote.asp
One thing to bear in mind, if you already have an anti siphon fitted then the bottle must be worn thread downwards, if no siphon fitted then the bottle is worn thread upwards so that the gun is always running on gas not liquid.

"Or you could just go out and buy an air tank, problem solved:D
:cool::)

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
A lot of our team used to run expansion bottles or chambers, as well as remote and anti syphon rigs to prevent our semi's drawing in liquid CO2. It didn't always work 100% especially in really cold weather, but did help to make them more reliable. I also use to spend a lot of time crawling during woodsball games which made it harder to stop liquid intake as well.

HP Air makes things a lot easier and I'm pleased the game's moved in that direction. I wouldn't want to switch back to CO2 - it could be a real nightmare sometimes and latest electro semi's don't like it anyway.

arg1271

All the gear, no idea
Apr 6, 2006
Mooching round the 50, with the flag
I would have gone down the automag route, easier to setup and maintain than a cocker but then that's just my personal preference. An older one (lvl 7) should be cheap as chips, I run mine with an old shredder (pre -revvy) hopper and have used it on a couple on punter days at DF with no issues.

Outshoots site markers any day of the week.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
I would have gone down the automag route, easier to setup and maintain than a cocker but then that's just my personal preference. An older one (lvl 7) should be cheap as chips, I run mine with an old shredder (pre -revvy) hopper and have used it on a couple on punter days at DF with no issues.

Outshoots site markers any day of the week.
I've always found if you read the cocker manual, adjust it, then leave it the hell alone, then they are as reliable as anything else out there.
The Mag would be my second choice, as i do like them but they are just not quite as good (my opinion only, before anyone starts):rolleyes:

wingnutLP

May 28, 2007
Coolio :)

Remote it is then...

If a site uses CO2 is there an easy way to get your own canisters filled with air? or might they have co2 and a compressor?

I crawl a lot when playing as well by the sound of it will not help...

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
You really need to contact the site(s) you intend playing on, and find out what facilities they have for either Co2 or Air. You will tend to draw liquid Co2more when lying down - even if you do have a good anti syphon/expansion system installed, and as I said earlier this becomes a real PITA in cold weather.

Having used both I would personally go for HP air, and when you can afford it get yourself a 2nd hand scuba tank & fill rig so you can go DIY on sites if required.