Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bicyclists of the mountaineering type

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
A mate is plaguing me to go mountain biking with him, he lives an hour away from me so it won't be an everyday occurrence, probably won't be more than once a month at most but I don't have a mountain bike. I do have a hybrid type thing which I use for scooting about but it wouldn't do, wrong tyres, wrong gearing etc

I know there are a few of you bicyclists on the forum, can anyone recommend a sub £500 hard tail mountain bike? I don't mind buying 2013 models, don't mind buying 2012 models if they're still available new.

I've been pointed at the Cube Aim Disc 29er, mate has one and likes it. Comes in at the right money too, £380, but seems a bit on the heavy side, I can live with that I guess but wondered if any of you lot would know better??

Cheers all!!

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Go for something from a major brand such as Specialized, Cannondale or Giant. All of these have offerings that are suitable for entry level mountain biking but more importantly, they offer various spec. models to suit each budget.

The Specialized Hardrock has always been a popular seller for us (I even bought one originally). The 2014 models come with 29er wheels but they also offer a more traditional 26" variant. Cannondale Trail similarly also offer various models at different prices and again, the Giant Talon has similar models.

The main benefit from buying from a big brand is that you should get the peace of mind that the core of the bike, the frame will be robust, well designed and warrantied for a period. If you're happy to buy second hand, try ebay, gumtree or pinkbike but I would definitely recommend buying new and coming into a store to sit on a few first if you're new to biking.

Any questions, fire away.

Source: I work for a bike shop in the online sales and general enquiry department.

:)

Reactions: Dusty

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Go for something from a major brand such as Specialized, Cannondale or Giant. All of these have offerings that are suitable for entry level mountain biking but more importantly, they offer various spec. models to suit each budget.

The Specialized Hardrock has always been a popular seller for us (I even bought one originally). The 2014 models come with 29er wheels but they also offer a more traditional 26" variant. Cannondale Trail similarly also offer various models at different prices and again, the Giant Talon has similar models.

The main benefit from buying from a big brand is that you should get the peace of mind that the core of the bike, the frame will be robust, well designed and warrantied for a period. If you're happy to buy second hand, try ebay, gumtree or pinkbike but I would definitely recommend buying new and coming into a store to sit on a few first if you're new to biking.

Any questions, fire away.

Source: I work for a bike shop in the online sales and general enquiry department.

:)

Marvellous, thanks. Are Cube not a decent brand then? Which shop you work for?

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
No no, Cube are a great brand, we just don't stock them so I don't have much experience with them! As far as I remember, they have a XC race heritage so a lot of their hardtails have a proper XC race styling as opposed to more relaxed trail geometry. The brands I mentioned are just a handful of the big brands that we commonly work with. I work for the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/bicycles/mountain-bikes).

In terms of the choice between 26" and 29" wheels, base it more on a combination of your height and your personal preference. Both are perfectly adequate wheel sizes however purists will generally say to stick to 26. If you're a bit taller or come from a road cycling background (with 700c wheels), you may prefer 29er wheels, however if you're not as tall you may find the larger wheels cumbersome. Personally, I'd always opt for 26" however being a bit taller (and a sales person), I'm not completely opposed to 29ers :)

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
There are some good deals at the moment. Personally, its the spec I look at, sometimes even the brand. Without paying silly money for elitist italian parts, shimano are actually really really good for brakes and drivetrain, even at the entry level called Deore.

Not so bad either, its all budget but its quality budget
http://www.merlincycles.com/beone-crd-race-alloy-29er-mountain-bike-65309.html

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Stop searching!

Found you something http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3328#tab-reiter2

I got me a canyon, I know Lump has one. Excellent German company, and you cannot buy better value.

This one comes set up with a great spec for £500, and comes with a few options not found elsewhere, like wider bars (more control) etc. Direct order from Germany, but Ive had two off them and had no problems at all. You get a mini tool kit, a bike transport box, shock pump, spares, manuals from them and they have a UK office for any technical issues @Dusty

Last edited:

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Whilst Canyon are particularly one of my favourite brands, I can't really fault what Bolter just posted! Looks not bad, I'm sure it'd be a perfect introductory hardtail to buy! :)

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
That's actually quite impressive for the money. The Easton EA30 finishing kit is a nice touch and adds a bit of value to the bike. Alivio groupset throughout with Shimano M395 hydros, it's really quite good value.

How tall are you Dusty and do you know your inside leg measurement?