Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bob Gurnsey

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Bob Gurnsey, one of the original guys to play paintball and realise it for what it could be, is not doing so good right now. He has been ill for a long time and it appears to have got the better of him this time.

Messages of support and thanks can be sent to paintballcreator@yahoo.com or use the contact form at http://www.bobgurnsey.com/

A Message from Bob Gurnsey :
I am facing the final curtain.. I had the unfortunate, saddening, hard to come to terms with "End Of Life Speech" from my Primary Doctor this week at the Mayo Clinic. As you are aware my Leukemia has reached my organs. My Lungs are suffering extreme pressure and pain due to Malignant fluid filling them on a daily basis. I now have a catheter so that my wife Lori can drain the fluid here at home. 1 Gallon was removed in a week long period. I will be starting another experimental drug next week, last option with no guarantees. I could explain my life as it is right now as so. When to fold.
"It is like stepping into a ring with Mike Tyson knowing you're going to get beat to Hell, then your corner ties one hand behind your back and says go back in for some more! Now after you have been beaten to a pulp the 2nd time they say, now let's tie the other hand. The question is, when do you fold? That's basically where I am at. Still fighting as always though, I don't surrender easily as most of you know. I would like to say, if anyone wants a piece of my Memorabilia autographed by myself, I would do it now. I can't Thank you all enough for the life of Love and support. Tina will keep you updated as the days progress. Please head over to the page listed below, there you will find the website link with my items. Much love to you all, God Bless.
bob gurnsey.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

The Very First Paintball Game June 27, 1981:

Paintball was created from a debate among Bob Gurnsey, Hayes Noel and Charles Gaines as to who was better able to survive, a city person who had to be ever vigilant and street wise, or a country person skilled in the ways of the forest. Bob was a small businessman in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Hayes owned his own seat on the American Stock Exchange and was a trader, and Charles was a novelist and screenwriter with the Arnold Schwarzenegger breakout film, Pumping Iron, to his credit. They devised an individual game where pistols used to mark trees for felling, cattle for slaughter and telephone poles for replacement would be used to mark players out if shot. Since the debate was about survival, they called it the Survival Game. The first game was centered on the individual, where the 12 players enter a wooded area from different points and attempted to secure four different colored flags and leave the area without getting marked. They invited some friends to play the first game which included Ken Barrett, a friend of Hayes and an investment banker from New York City.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChairChimp

CraigofScotland

Naked fun time
Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
RIP Bob,

Its sad that the community in general are not all over this thread. More interestd in getting pseduo sponsorship than the things that actually matter.

Its a tough illness, and seems to have got the better of, from what I gather, a very good man.

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Sad times indeed. I know a lot of people paid their respects on the facebook thread from pbnation that was going around. Horrible illness that took Bob and many others from us, we all owe him a huge thank you.

Reactions: avituk