Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

bottle weights

semtexuk

Jun 11, 2013
Bristol
Hi guys im just getting back into paintball after about a twelve year break, I have what im sure your going to regard as a newb question for you-whats the average weight difference between a steely 48ci 3000 and a 68ci 4500 carbon fiber bottle and is the price worth paying?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Can't say the actual weight difference right now, but its not significant
More important then weight is balance - the combination of gun, hopper and cylinder and how they balance in your hand

If you use a remote line system then any weight difference is irrelevant
If you use with the air on the gun then you would need a very light gun, hold it ready a long time and be fairly weak for the difference to realy affect you

Regarding value for money a 3000psi steel/aluminium cylinder is much better value for capacity per £ and life per £

If you have the funds then a 4500psi is worth having for capacity when fills are available and provided it is the right size cylinder to physically fit you. If its not ergonomics my right then it's not worth any extra money

If spending an extra £120 on initial expense will affect your ability to buy paint and play then only spend £30/£40 on a 3000psi cylinder and keep the balance to buy paint and play

Jan 12, 2009
It really depends on are you really back for good, if youre just back to test the waters, buy a cheap steely and play.
UPgrade when youre sure youre back,
It also depends if you reball alot and if you use scuba tanks to refill alot, if yes, a steely will do.
If you play at the field weekly and youre sure youre back, just get a 68 carbon fiber, itl be rubbish in 5 years but man they are nice to the grip and if you play alot, every ounce lighter counts, especially if your a frontman.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
If you play at the field weekly and youre sure youre back, just get a 68 carbon fiber, itl be rubbish in 5 years.
???????
An aluminium / steel cylinder can be considered disposable at the 5 year mark as they are cheap enough to replace as opposed to retest - but can last forever
A fibre cylinder will have a 15 year life cycle, and at around £150 isn't rubbish at the 5 year point, retest it at 5 & 10 years

The Stako cylinders become disposable at the 5 year mark. They are extremely light even compared to other fibre cylinders, however at about £150 and only 5 years of life that's a pretty serious purchase for the weight saving - and no longer necessary with other cylinders now available (EG safer) which come with exceptional lightness and the ability to retest
(Stakos also had a bit of a bad reputation - but were fine if handled and filled correctly)

semtexuk

Jun 11, 2013
Bristol
Thanks guy I appreciate the help, ultimately I think a carbon tanks on the cards as my marker is off balance with the steely by a fair amount, thanks again fellas :)

Jan 12, 2009
tommikka is right.
semtexuk at the end of the day, it depends on your need, as mentioned above, carbon fiber tanks are pretty expensive and i am a lazy twart so i bought it so my kit could be lighter... :)
And i was actually using a Stacko, have actually used 3, and i heard about the bad explosion stories, i actually met a 2 guys from which the horror stories came from.
Both explained that it was never the tank but rumours, 1 had a disc burst, so not the tank, another dived into the snake and stuck his marker into the ground, the force was so violent that it broke rail extender off and the tank sort of shot off releasing all the air, he got another marker and screwed the tank in and it was fine.
I guess everybody has heard stories about exploding tanks and never actually met the owners hence the urban legends.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
And i was actually using a Stacko, have actually used 3, and i heard about the bad explosion stories, i actually met a 2 guys from which the horror stories came from.
Both explained that it was never the tank but rumours, 1 had a disc burst, so not the tank, another dived into the snake and stuck his marker into the ground, the force was so violent that it broke rail extender off and the tank sort of shot off releasing all the air, he got another marker and screwed the tank in and it was fine.
I guess everybody has heard stories about exploding tanks and never actually met the owners hence the urban legends.
Just an addenum to the explosions, I believe there were 2 genuine explosions, 1 in Europe the other in the South of England.
There are photos about of the 2nd. There was an investigation and the design of the cylinder was cleared, from the indications of the cause it could have happened to any cylinder

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Finally something for the original question:

Guerrilla air 13cu/ci 0.2l
3000psi. At 1000psi, output 500psi
Weight 1lb 450g

Pure energy 48cu/ci 0.78l
3000psi. At 1000psi, output 600psi
Weight 3.5lb 1600g

Guerrilla air 48cu/ci 0.8l (both from markings)
4500psi At 2000psi, output 500psi
Weight 2.2lb 1000g

Empire air 91cu/ci 1.5l
4500psi. At 2000psi, output 800psi
Weight 3.7lb 1700g

Details are:
Make & size (sizes based on cylinder markings in cubic inches or litres and converted, with the exception of the .48, this accounts for differences in rounding on specs)
Pressures (maximum fill, current pressure, regulator output)
Weight (very rough on old school non digital kitchen scales)

All figures are approximate

An equivalent weight comparison of 48ci steelie and fibre show the fibre at 2/3 of the steelie. So there is a weight saving
However many people go for a standard 68ci and still talk about them being lighter because they are fibre
False perception - in this comparison the fibre is slightly heavier - because it is bigger