Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bunkering

GeekoftheWeek

Sep 5, 2009
Ok, I know there are probably a million and 1 threads like this but I cant find any so here it goes again.

Unfortunately, I haven't played paintball in about 2 years now, so I'm a little rusty and I'm reading a lot of technique stuff again. When I got to reading about bunkering technique, I realised that there is one big part of it that I never got the hang of: timing. See, the problem for me is that when I'm playing (especially at a local field without teamates I know well), the game always seems to run so chaotically that I'm never sure about a bunkering move. Even knowing where all players are, which is not always the case, I'm never sure which players are going to be looking at me as I make a move, and I can't possibly put all of them in before making it. Unless I'm lucky, I usually just go get a 1 for 1, and that's that.

My question is this: is that how it is suppost to be? Reading about how others explain bunkering, it seems so strait forward, so black and white about when to go and what's going on. Is it normal to not really know what's going on (to a certain extent), but to just do it and see how it goes from there? Or should communication be so top notch that you should know where all of the players dangerous to you would be looking at any given time?

I guess what I'm asking is how sure are you of the situation at hand, and basically how you feel when coming to the decision of whether to bunker or not.

Thanks All

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
It all comes with experience IMO. If the game is heading towards a stalemate of gunfighting and you don't have a clear move or lane to hold then you can use a bunkering move to take out a player in a key bunker of the opposition. You just have to take the time to walk the field properly, establish the key front bunkers and be patient in game.
One thing Tommy Pemberton said that stuck in my head was that you can be really active in your bunker and play all sides of it to gain as much information on the game's direction as you can (before making your killer move).

A good (if clichéd) example of a player using the confusion and disturbance of a ref pulling two parts of a tradeout (what you called a 1 for 1) is the classic Ollie Lang killer move.

If you're unsure about the situation:
1. Play the whole of your bunker to get the information you can. This may include taking some steps back from your bunker to see where you can shoot.
2. Talk to your teammates to get the information they have.
3. Evaluate the importance of your bunker in the game and see if there's a more important bunker of the other team you can take out.
4. Make sure your teammates can cover your move so that it's successful.

My two cents anyway.

Polly

SoManc!
May 30, 2006
****ehole West Yorkshire
www.myspace.com
After playing for a while you just kinda know, your head just says, go kill that guy you can make it, sometimes it lies but most of the time its right :D

listen to one man band, his post is much more helpful than mine, but once you get the hang of it you'll know what i mean.

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
i try to think of bunker (in most situations, not all) as a last resort.

so basically you've ruled out ever other possiblity about how to get a player out, usally he will be a player whos buggering up your plan for example if your plan is based around getting into the snake and youve got a guy blocking the snake lane then u probally need to get him out.

if u plan is based around the d-side and snake 1 is holding it up u might have to go run the tape/hiway to get him out

par game closing i usally think of it as alast resort

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
The best power moves that I've pulled have been the ones where I've just done it instinctively, if you're having to think too much chances are you've missed that window.

It really requires confidence and an understanding of the game that comes with experience. Just play ball dude, dont worry about it too much.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
The best power moves that I've pulled have been the ones where I've just done it instinctively, if you're having to think too much chances are you've missed that window.

It really requires confidence and an understanding of the game that comes with experience. Just play ball dude, dont worry about it too much.
the best move that you've ever pulled got you 1-4-1'd for over shooting.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
There is only one person you should ever listen to when seeking answers related to 'the timing of bunkering' and his name is Mr Experience, ignore all the other pretenders to his throne.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!

I don't think I've really seen you pull off such moves, though to be frank, on the occasions I would have been there to witness them you've been more interested in acting up for the camera Jack!