Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

cocker experts wanted, apply within !

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Ahhh there you are !
Can you help me, i have a new pro-stock cocker which can't match the range of other pro-guns?
stood side by side with my mates shocker and impulse, all being crono'd at the same velocity, i simply don't have the range they have.
theoretically if all guns are fired at 300fps then the balls should surely travel the same distance, if not why?
Do barrels make the difference or are there other factors?
I'm not worried about fire rate, weight, shiney anodising or the latest must have accesory but i do need to match other guns range.
Any idea's guys?

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Is this under strings of paint, or indifidual shots?

Remember that the cocker is closed bolt, so if you're not firing quickly, then the ball has time to roll forward (it's already been pushed in front of the detent by your bolt) if your barrel is below the horizontal.

Paint-to-barrel match is probably more important with this kind of mechanism, and I mean size, not colour... ;)

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
same paint
same day
same time
same gas
same crono
etc etc etc
I would expect to lose out on accuracy over an expensive gun but not range if the velocity's the same.
Over shorter ranges i can hold my own with the best of them, but not at a distance. We even tried swapping guns to eliminate operator error.
We crono'd the guns many times to check for inconsistancy and were just a few FPS apart each time, (sometimes mine was reading higher).
Over to you boys ?

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
quackingplums ; paint falling short both ways, reduce the distance and i'd be swapping paint for paint, just a bit further and it's a case of duck and cover.

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Are you saying that if you put the two guns down side-by-side, on a table, with the barrels pointing at the same angle (slightly upward), and measure the FPS using a chrono, you're getting the same muzzle velocity, but then that the ball from the cocker falls shorter than the other guns?

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
well we didn't shoot off the table, but picking a distant target i'd be 30-50ft short, where the other guns were on the mark.
I've been playing since the late 80's so i know all about trajectory and the properties of the erratic site paint, but the others were all using the same, so we all had the same handicaps and therefore no excuse for my shortfall.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Could this be the old chestnut, "lower operating pressure". Try comparing it with a higher pressure marker, like a speed or ir3, or even another cocker.

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Which chestnut is that? Don't both the Shocker and Impy run at <200psi? (yes, they do - I have both :D)

Surely the basic laws of physics would dictate that at a given velocity, the trajectory traced should be the same? Regardless of barrel match, propellant, etc, the ball is still travelling forwards at 300fps... unless the Impy and Shocker have special chrono-jamming circuitry... ;)

Unless the cocker is somehow affecting the spin of the ball (in a bad way) on the cocker, why would a ball flying in the same direction, at the same speed, have less range than another, and CONSISTENTLY so? :confused:

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
we specifically tested it against a new shocker and a 1 year old impulse, but i know there was a couple of eclipse cockers, a few angels and two mags there for sure, quite which ones were dropping paint on me i'm not sure but i was outgunned on several occasions so i'm guessing it was different guns, which left me the only option to break cover, close the gap between me and them and then out shoot them on playing ability. that was fun but i got duluxed a couple of times trying to close the gap while not be able to cover fire on the run.