Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Dead mans walk

• Thread starter Tommy Gun-Nexus
  • Start date

Mikez

Jul 6, 2001
UK
Yeah I think if that happend to the Hellfish then we would probally do the same. But if he was walking out or had no armband on we would leave him. But I see what you mean must be a real pain?

Mikez

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I already stated my opinion about dee-em-dubyaz, but what's the deal with getting pissed for getting shot again, after having been eliminated?
It happens all the time! you walk off the field, you appear in someone's field of vision, and WHACK! you get gogged again. It happens all the time. If you can't take the sting of a paintball hit (or twelve) go play lasertag.....:p

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
One problem, and solution

One of the problems I've seen as a result of the dead man's walk being legal is that of chronic overshooting. It's too bad that it happens but it does, and if the dead man's walk was illegal I don't think you'd see as much of it.

Here's a solution: REQUIRE, under the threat of penalty points, that eliminated players signal their elimination in a single, straight-foward way (such as place their hand squarely on the top of their head). Then, if eliminated players are walking off without their hands up, they get shot up AND they get penalized. That'll keep people honest, and make it much less of a debate for those of us who don't want to shoot the sh!t out of an already-elimnated player cause we'll know EXACTLY what's up and who's fault it'll be if he is or isn't really eliminated.

The MSPA did this for this season and it's been a fantastic implementation. Just a thought...

Justin
Saberwolves

Hmmm.....dead mans illegal......

How do you make the dead mans walk illegal?

Rule 4.1 - Thou shalt not walk across the field in the manner of an eliminated player in an attempt to advantage of the gulible and niave opponents.

Come on - its a walk, the player cannot raise his hand/gun or remove his armband so, for the observant, it should be easy to spot. If you are worried then just bonus ball all the players you eliminate to make sure - but then dont complain if you get hit 'accidently' when leaving the field eliminated.

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Problem tho...

Originally posted by ascutt
Come on - its a walk, the player cannot raise his hand/gun or remove his armband so, for the observant, it should be easy to spot. If you are worried then just bonus ball all the players you eliminate to make sure - but then dont complain if you get hit 'accidently' when leaving the field eliminated.
Ok, a few problems.

One tournament I saw footage of. Player raised his gun up, walked to the other side, and point blanked an opponent. The referee who saw the player raise his gun refused to pull the player for signaling he was out. After that, all players took bonus hits, and the referees took a lot more paint. And, when a complaint was lodged, the excuse became "After that walk, we're not taking chances."

Hey, I'm all for it. If you can get away with the DMW, go for it. Just realise that you're gonna be paying a price for that move for the rest of the event. And, for what it's worth, so will everyne else.

And, until the events get their acts together, and create a UNIVERSAL METHOD of signaling elimination (Hand on head, for example) there will remain this enigmatic system. I don't mind it, I don't think that it's so bad, it's just htere's a lot of repricussions for it.

-Tyger

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
No problem...

Yeah guys, it's not that I have a problem with the DMW (I don't)...it's that I have a problem with some of the consequences it causes from time to time...such as the example Tyger gave.

To me, requiring eliminated players to signal that they're dead (such as hand on head, etc.) eliminates all discussion about it.

Here's an example, that played out in a recent MSPA event:

On team "A", a player was eliminated. He got up from his bunker without calling himself out and ran across the field full steam to the dead box. Now for all the other team knew, that player was still alive and they continued to lite him up (which the player didn't have a problem with)...however, this intentional distraction allowed another player from team "A" to move into the eliminated player's bunker, unseen, during that bit of confusion.

After the game, the referees assessed a PENALTY FOR PLAYING ON to team "A", because their eliminated player failed to signal his elimination and acted in a manner which was intended to, and did, continue to affect the game. Under MSPA rules, any players without their hand placed squarely on their head are considered live...therefore if a marked player is "just walking off the field," that player is considered to be "playing on."

I would LOVE to see this rule implemented in the NPPL and such because it totally eliminates the debate about the dead man's walk...and it eliminates the question about how to do away with the overshooting problem to which the walk now contributes.

As always, my humble opinion...

Justin Owen
Saberwolves

DMW in the Millenium Series

As far as I am aware the rules in the Millenium series has no rules for indication of an eliminated player. The rules are as follows:

8.11 Players that are eliminated, immediately upon elimination, must:
- exit the field by the most direct route or as directed by a field judge. Players that take routes that are not the most direct and are meant to conceal from the other team such player’s elimination or players that refuse to follow a judge’s direction on leaving the field constitute playing on and appropriate penalties may be assessed.

And thats it. Maybe they should insist on a raised hand/hand on head.

Also - Buddha3 - I don't know Jay Clayson but some of the others might, I'll ask. Who is he?

Scutty

Paul (fusionUK)

Need Nickname?!?!?!
Jul 9, 2001
Manchester UK
www.planettribes.com
as far as I'm concerned an arm in the air signals you are out! sometimes a marshall isn't around to remove your armband. as for being shot when you're already eliminated its not that I go into a big huf about it and throw my toys out my pram its just a little annoying.:D