Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Delete me

Lollingsgrad

Feb 16, 2011
Coventry
In all honesty you'd be safer saving up an extra 50-80 quid and buying something really very decent. Don't jump in just yet, browse the forum for a few weeks first of all, you'll be able to get a very decent high end gun for £150 to £200 even if it is a few years older, in most cases they'll still be as competitive as anything else out there.
Wise sentiments but the amount I'm offering is less to do with how much I can afford and more to do with how much I'm willing to risk on buying second hand gear for a game I haven't had much experience in yet. To be honest I'd probably be more comfortable getting something like an WGP MG7 Pro secondhand just so I can have gotten a first gun for so little that if I decide not to persevere with the sport I won't have lost a significant amount of money. I'd spend more if I was able to get into the owning-your-own-gear side of the game without... you know... owning-my-own-gear. What do you reckon my chances are of getting to go to walk-ons/tourneys/etc and borrowing equipment?

hello_moto

Feb 7, 2010
Birmingham
Walk-ons & tournies are events where you're expected to have your own gear. Most players would have happy enough for you to try out their markers, just so you can get a feel for it. As for using them for the whole day, that's probably a no.

Having said that, most tournie players also tend to have back-up markers (usually of a lower spec than their main one, for those "oh sh*t" moments) which i'm guessing they could lend out to people.

From personal buying experience on these forums, the vast majority of sellers take extremely good care of their gear which means that 2nd hand buyers essentially get mint condition kit at bargain prices! If you're serious about getting committed to paintballing, better to invest in relatively medium to high-end kit now than go through the hassle and monetary losses of upgrading from low-end>intermediate>high-end as time goes by.

Besides, there are always takers for high-end kit should you wish to leave the sport. It's far more diffcult to shift low-end stuff in the same context.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Wise sentiments but the amount I'm offering is less to do with how much I can afford and more to do with how much I'm willing to risk on buying second hand gear for a game I haven't had much experience in yet. To be honest I'd probably be more comfortable getting something like an WGP MG7 Pro secondhand just so I can have gotten a first gun for so little that if I decide not to persevere with the sport I won't have lost a significant amount of money. I'd spend more if I was able to get into the owning-your-own-gear side of the game without... you know... owning-my-own-gear. What do you reckon my chances are of getting to go to walk-ons/tourneys/etc and borrowing equipment?

I understand that.

Here's my point though. If you buy your MG7 for £129.99 and decide paintball isn't for you (unlikely) you can always try to sell it on the classifieds here, though you'd be lucky to get £50 for it. Shipped. In fact you may even not get that. You might get a couple of quid for the bottle it comes with IF you can sell it at all.

Buy a Mini or Ego 5 or similar for £150-200 and decide it's not for you, then you'll likely be able to sell it on for what you paid as it's not going to further depreciate in any significant way.

You're going through what all of us went through before you, buy a gun, need a better one very quickly, spend lots more money, can't sell original gun therefore original purchase is money completely wasted.

But hey, what would I know ;)

hello_moto

Feb 7, 2010
Birmingham
I understand that.

Here's my point though. If you buy your MG7 for £129.99 and decide paintball isn't for you (unlikely) you can always try to sell it on the classifieds here, though you'd be lucky to get £50 for it. Shipped. In fact you may even not get that. You might get a couple of quid for the bottle it comes with IF you can sell it at all.

Buy a Mini or Ego 5 or similar for £150-200 and decide it's not for you, then you'll likely be able to sell it on for what you paid as it's not going to further depreciate in any significant way.

You're going through what all of us went through before you, buy a gun, need a better one very quickly, spend lots more money, can't sell original gun therefore original purchase is money completely wasted.

But hey, what would I know ;)
lol i wish i were that eloquent!

Lollingsgrad

Feb 16, 2011
Coventry
Fair point. I may still swoop in on a second hand WGP MG7 Pro or Smart Parts Vibe/Ion or something equally horrible, because if they appear they'll be going for zero money. Since, as you say yourself, no-one's buying them. Someone's gotta make the second hand market work for the poor guys who bought trash as their first gun! If I get to try the sport for around £50 I won't consider that a colossal loss.

As for the actual decent guns, well, I won't leap on the first offer I see, but I'll keep my eyes open around the £150 mark.

lol i wish i were that eloquent!
Come to think, hello_moto, didn't your WGP MG7 Pro sell?

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Fair point. I may still swoop in on a second hand WGP MG7 Pro or Smart Parts Vibe/Ion or something equally horrible, because if they appear they'll be going for zero money. Since, as you say yourself, no-one's buying them. Someone's gotta make the second hand market work for the poor guys who bought trash as their first gun! If I get to try the sport for around £50 I won't consider that a colossal loss.

As for the actual decent guns, well, I won't leap on the first offer I see, but I'll keep my eyes open around the £150 mark.

I think this is a case of leading a horse to water if I'm honest.

Good luck with your purchase :)

Reactions: Mclovin101

Mclovin101

Apr 3, 2008

Ion's are cheap as there not made anymore and hence spares are hard to come by. Please let me know if you get a Halo too for £25 :confused::confused:.

Ive used a reloader and a reloader b and they did the trick for me.

For £150 ill look at a mini mate. Spot on guns easy to fix and maintain

I see you haven't mentioned anything about Air. Have you forgot about that ???

Lollingsgrad

Feb 16, 2011
Coventry
I see you haven't mentioned anything about Air. Have you forgot about that ???
Nah I just haven't made my mind up about it yet. I think my local field only fills to 3000psi, so I'm going to go and have a look at different bottles with my real and actual hands and face to see what I think.

Mclovin101

Apr 3, 2008
Nah I just haven't made my mind up about it yet. I think my local field only fills to 3000psi, so I'm going to go and have a look at different bottles with my real and actual hands and face to see what I think.
Ok Not quite sure what you mean by " Look at different bottles with my real and actual hands":confused::confused:

All bottles are the same depending on if your go ally or fibre wrap 3000psi or 4500psi. The sizes of the bottles are different but thats not really a major issue

Lollingsgrad

Feb 16, 2011
Coventry
Ok Not quite sure what you mean by " Look at different bottles with my real and actual hands":confused::confused:
As in I want to hold it before I buy it.

All bottles are the same depending on if your go ally or fibre wrap 3000psi or 4500psi. The sizes of the bottles are different but thats not really a major issue
Yeah I discussed this at length in another thread and came to the conclusion 68/4500 would be ideal which is probably what I'll get. My decision's going to depend on how common it is for sites to only fill up to 3000psi, how much difference carrying the extra weight of an aluminium can makes to me, and the shape of the bottle. Whilst we're on the subject though, a couple of things I'd like to know:

• Can you fill a 3000psi bottle up to 3000psi using a fill station rated at 4500psi? More importantly do all sites allow you to do it?
  • Ever been to a site that only had a 4500psi filling station?