Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Do we still need eyes?

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
I'll state from the start that I don't have a horse in this race since I can't play with electro markers and only opened this thread for discussion off a random though that came to me while reading another thread where it was mentioned someones eyes in their marker had gone down.

Pretty much everywhere you can play nowadays limits you to 12 bps at the most, any force feed loader feeds at least 20 bps so would you have less problems risking clipping the last few balls in the hopper which aren't being forced into the maker than are caused by eyes getting dirty / failing to see some paint / just plain breaking? As long as you were attentive to keeping at least 10 balls in the hopper you should never be in a situation were a ball isn't in the breach.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
@STONESOLDIER its partly eclipses fault that I had the thought - I used to run an eblade on a right hand feed body that had no eyes, as long as I left it in classic mode and fed it with an egg I got no chops.

Reactions: ringerpatrolmeat

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes we definitely still need eyes. It's not the speed of the loader that's important but the rate at which the paint enters the breach. When you are down to your last couple of balls inside the feed neck there is nothing forcing them down quick enough, you're only relying on gravity at this point. Additionally if it's just a few balls rattling around the hopper, it isn't going to feed them perfectly one after the other so you need the eyes to make sure every balls fires correctly.

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
With the pretty wide variation of paintball sizes that exist around the world eyes are very important to make sure the ball has settled correctly in the breech.

Eye technology and logic is so good these days. Unless using clear paint I can't remember the last time I had a problem with eyes on any gun I've used for many many years. The only time when I've seen them an issue for other people has been exceptionally poor maintenance and when chumps have pinched wires.

Reactions: Canon Fodder

kudosbudo

Dec 2, 2010
Yorkshire
I had my first taste of using a marker with eyes this year during a limited paint game. I was using a old Ammo-box style hopper attached at the feedneck with a short length of pvc tube. It would feed 8-10 balls fairly fast then i'd give it a short rattle or tip forward and it would feed 10 more.

Having eyes was a blessing. No more dry fires to give me away, no more getting caught short, it was awesome. I'm actually surprised that they are not used in magfed markers. They'd actually be really useful.

Reactions: Canon Fodder

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
**off topic***
Because magfed players still have a stiffy for stone-age technology, I think they feel mech is more realistic or some crap.

Although it's a somewhat flawed and overpriced product, the DAM really does embarrass it's competition

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Yeah, level 10 theoretically couldn't chop but I'd still say an eye system that prevents the marker from cycling if the ball isn't seated is better than a system that cycles then fails to fire. Also lvl10 can be a bit twitchy to setup properly.