Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Drones

Apr 18, 2006
Just wondering, does anyone use a drone, to film paintball, and what do you guys think of the new breed of drones that are now emerging...???

I ask, as people like Airdog https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron are now turning up, and make follow me footage incredible easy...

As an avid snowboarder who used to paintball a lot, i think these drones could make for very interesting footage... No good in woodland of course, but hyper ball would certainly be interesting...

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
We have an Adam

Inside the woods is not out of the question, but takes skills (as above - we have an Adam)

First we used a Parrot drone, but have evolved for better control, battery flight time, payloads (better cameras and also game props)

A disadvantage that occurs is players. Paintballers shoot at things
We did have a mishap once filming / flying over our automated turret, this gave good footage but also attracted the turrets attention and it was shot at.
But we do know that at least one player ignored instructions not to shoot the equipment from the different paintballs found in the drones body

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Yup, I'm pretty accomplished with them. I fly a DJI Phantom at the minute, I'm getting a SKY Hero mini when they're available and planning to buy a 250 sized kit for FPV racing purposes.

Had some nice flights there at the weekend but here's a link for now. I'm the one doing the filming, not the one you can see in the picture. Turn the sound off, I didn't edit any music in and the noise of the rotors gets irritating after about 30 seconds!

And another where I'm just hacking around, flying by FPV from the gopro view. I don't fly when players are on, don't really fancy some arsehole knocking best part of a grand out of the sky by taking a pot shot.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
They do look cool. Footage is impressive.
I'd like to see some big game footage taken with one, but I doubt anyone would risk their gear around 1000 excited paintballers...

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
I would at a big game, just not at our site. I can comfortable fly it well out of range of a paintball marker however the footage would be from at least 500 feet away which may or may not come out ok.

My next one will have a stabilising gimbal, I would be inclined to use it instead. If the playing area was clear of a tree canopy it could look very very good......

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I can't find a copy of when the parrot flew over the turret gun, but some samples of the parrot & dji

Dji phantom
Outside & inside
(You have to guess which indoor shots are from the phantom, I can't remember)

Some idea of height over the woods, but those shots have been filtered

Quick test flight with a low battery

An early flight of the parrot
Rude word alert at the end!