Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

DSLR Lens used for taking paintball

mcheshire

Oct 23, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Using a canon 5d mark II, with a 100-400mm zoom. I was wondering if any one was using wider lens and what sort of shots they were going for.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
The 100 - 400mm is a versatile lens but personally I don't like the variable apperture, and it can be a bit of a dust pump, though that should be less of an issue with self cleaning sensors. It was a real pain with my old 30D, but that always seemed to be a dust magnet.

When I supplemeted mine with a 70 - 200 f2.8 that soon became my go to lens, so much so that the 100 - 400mm soon got sold. Add a 1.4x teleconverter when a bit of extra reach is needed and it covers pretty much everywhere on field. The advantage of a full frame sensor is that you can crop pretty hard when you want to.

If I'm concentrating on a tape player I might switch to the 24-105mm for the closer minimum focus distance if the sideline is tight, or my 17-40mm for wide shots, pit crew etc.

That's the basic kit, I may use a prime sometimes, the 135mm makes an excellent candid portrait, I love my 40mm pancake as a walk around and for composite images. I also have used the 8-15mm and there is a hole in my bag for that and a 300mm prime.

mcheshire

Oct 23, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Thanks for the advice. I will have to look into getting something around the 200mm mark with bigger aperture the 100-400mm f4 tends to make me push up the ISO to get the depth of field I am looking for. The 5D mark II auto focus is a little pedestrian, I tend to get a fair few failures.

Have you tried using a polariser on brightish days the blow up features tend to overexpose for me and I was considering trying it out to get more exposure balance in the shots. Used it alot when i was taking skiing shots but then snow is a much brighter back ground.

I have a 85mm f1.4 prime that is a great portrait lens will have to give that a go. I was worried that it would be too inflexible.

Have to try a few new ideas at CPPS round 4 :)

thanks again for the feedback.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
I do have a CPL filter, the bunkers are a real pain in the **** at times, the solution is normally to tweak the highlights and shadows in Lightroom. Most of the time I shoot in manual, picking my shutter speed and aperture settings, letting the camera choose the ISO and use an ND4 on really bright days if I want to keep a shallow depth of field. Generally I don't use filters, I have seen what a broken filter does when it goes through a front element and the negative effect on image quality is increased as the coatings errode with exposure to paint.

5D MkIII has a much improved focusing set-up, but mishaps still happen, plenty ends up on the darkroom floor.

mcheshire

Oct 23, 2013
Stoke on Trent
I have tended to shoot in shutter priority as i have been interested in minimising blur and then tuning the aperture with the ISO to get the depth of field I want. Interesting about the filters, I got hit on the lens recently and it didn't break the skylight filter, must have been lucky. The lens rang like a bell frightened my half to death, nearly dropped the camera lol. Heard suggestions of using 2 filters together to protect the lens but the reduction in quality and the vignetting effect puts me off.

Yes, the mark III. Going to have to do some serious saving :)

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
This is what a 100-400mm looks like when the filter has been punched into the front element:

Even without that kind of damage, if the filter goes it is likely to leave tiny shards of glass all over the front element, which will damage the lens coatings. I used the Hoya HD filters, but they are expensive but when they get paint on them they seem to degrade quite quickly.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
It went straight to Fixation UK on the Monday, parts came from Canon on the Wednesday, collected the lens on the Friday (having also bought myself a 70-200mm) and I flew out to the U.S.A on the Saturday. After the repair it was a better lens than new as it had been stripped, cleaned, lubricated and calibrated properly. Having dealt with Canon/their authorised repair network before, I cannot recommend Fixation highly enough!

http://www.fixationuk.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrage