Ego Solenoid

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
H'okay, I have some parts I can start assembling but still no body
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/92rt095/100_1978.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/92rt095/100_1979.jpg
left is ego eye, right is DM eye.

which eye wire do I splice to fit it to the 4-pin plug?
& by splicing you just cut it half & put half the wire in one pin of the plug & the other half in another right?

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/92rt095/?action=view&current=100_1980.jpg
solenoid is left & DM battery harness is right (thanks to Robbo & Dye for the DM bits)

Rosie.

Its the black wire that you want to splice.

Firstly, using a sharp knife or pick, remove all the crimped wires from their housings. Carefully bend the white pegs up and gently pull the wires out.

See how on the ego connector it goes black red black red?
Well we want to use the DM4 eyes with the order black white black red.
So we need to turn the single black wire into two black wires.

To splice the wire cut the end off a few centimeters from the crimp.

Now you need to solder two crimped ends on to the black wire, use the one you have just cut off, and another one from the ego eye loom.

Basicly twist all 3 wires together then solder as neatly as possible, then afterwards heatshrink the solder joint.

Now put the crimps from your '4 wire DM4 loom' into the 4 way housing from the ego eye wires.

I hope I have explained that clearly, if not I will do you a ghetto diagram in MS paint :p

PS Strawb and Mikey, I would be very interested in the progress you make on finding the crimps and crimping tools, Please keep me informed on your progress I will make it worth your time.

Jonh

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
Hi :)

Thanks John I got the plug :)

just a pain doing this wire thing
I keep trying to strip the wire (the ego eye wire, to put on the DM eye wire) but I always seem to cut one of the small wires inside when doing it- do I need the inside wire to be totally complete or is it Ok if one is broken?

I bought some heat shrink from maplins...do I hairdrier it to shrink it or what?

and next after the eyes is the solenoid
what do I have to do with the battery harness wires etc?

Strawb

Platinum Member
May 8, 2005
Worcester
Visit site
It will be fine if a few of the strands are cut as long as most of the wire is intact.

You won't need the battery harness, i think that was just suggested because the plug is the same as the ego eye harness plug.

I take it you are soldering the wires together before using heat shrink:rolleyes:

Did John send you a drawing of how to connect the timmy eyes to the ego harness?

Still waiting on the bits from farnell, hopefully by the weekend.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
Strawb said:
It will be fine if a few of the strands are cut as long as most of the wire is intact.

You won't need the battery harness, i think that was just suggested because the plug is the same as the ego eye harness plug.

I take it you are soldering the wires together before using heat shrink:rolleyes:

Did John send you a drawing of how to connect the timmy eyes to the ego harness?

Still waiting on the bits from farnell, hopefully by the weekend.
Yes I'm soldering it first Strawb :p

he didn't send me a pic no but I've just got to finish stripping the wires & solder them & heatshrink it & it will be ok; he explained it well enough ;)

I'm using DM4 eyes as well- as I couldn't find Timmy eyes but Dye gave me some free eyes and a battery harness. (thankyou!!)

Ego harness, do you mean the ego plug?

And, I can use the crimped wires from the batt harness for the solenoid so it's alright ;).
Just need to know where I connect the wires to the solenoid- solder them in where the top-board slid in?

Guys,
I have been off the forum for a few days as I am in Chicago.
I hear they are holding a small tournament here this weekend.

Rosie,
Yes you simply solder the wires on where the 'top board' would plug in.
You should be able to wire them either way round. It may be the case that the ego board cannot provide enough voltage to trip the shocker solenoid but that can be worked around.

Skeet I will shoot you a message when I get back.