Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Electronic markers.. Help!!

Which one would you have

• Total voters

mushuntgrrumble

Dec 10, 2013
Cheltenham
To be honest I bought one for my son at Paintfest last year with oled board, used it and then I bought myself one a couple of weeks later!! Cant fault them.

brab

Jun 29, 2010
I'm in a similar boat looking at similar markers.
Between the mini/mini GS for 150, Axe for 200 or DM9 for 150 i'm a little stuck - though it obviously depends on the deal specifics.

In my mind the extra 50 for a Axe over a mini is a no brainier (ASA on/off at the very least), over a GS...maybe, maybe not.
The DM9 is/was a top end marker and is/was in another league - but has age weighing against it.
And then there's the fact that at the moment i'm not going to be pushing the boundaries of any marker...but that's never the point! :)

A.B

London E.C.I 2008 retired
Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
if you do decide on that dm9 and it has an old board in it i have a brand new virtue oled board and grips to go in it for £75. that'll make it as tuneable and as functional as a brand new modern day marker at a fraction of the cost. As well the Dm9 is one of the smallest and lightest dm's made.

brab

Jun 29, 2010
if you do decide on that dm9 and it has an old board in it i have a brand new virtue oled board and grips to go in it for £75. that'll make it as tuneable and as functional as a brand new modern day marker at a fraction of the cost. As well the Dm9 is one of the smallest and lightest dm's made.
Will find out. Am certainly not against the idea.

Obviously it is all subjective, but where would the DM9 sit in terms of a first marker for someone that is never going to play in any tournaments just walk-ons or big games every 1 to 2 weeks? I'm sure the marker is beyond what i'd need - but is it hassle free - or a pain that needs tweaking and tlc?

A.B

Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
You'll get different opinions on all guns.

My take

The dm9 is the fith year of incremental improvements since dye took on the dm platform with the dm4, it is regarded as one of the best revisions (pb nation have a thread on the dm evolution with a table showing improvements etc).

The dm range at that age and newer have self cleaning eyes (up to a point, have fantastic ergonomics, operate at low pressures so are gentle on paint and are a very stable shooting platform.
Maintenance is very simple. Pull bolt, lube, put back in and the owners guides are up there with planet eclipse.
Spares are easily available as most of the parts are common, for example o rings, eye pipes, solenoid, boards and so on. Also you've got dye techs easily contactable if you get stuck Ash being a great example of one.

I was supported by dye in 2008, and have several friends who have or do work for dye. That said after returning to paintball after 7 years with no sponsorship ties etc, I've still settled again on a dm platform.

Reactions: brab

brab

Jun 29, 2010
You'll get different opinions on all guns.

My take
Excellent, thanks for the rundown. The spares availability is a fair point - it does seem there isn't a universe of difference between the DMs that followed it either, for a few versions.

And apologies to op for kinda hijacking their thread :)

A.B

Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
I hope the op will find some benefit, there's too much of a belief that the latest kit will be best, there are fantastic examples of markers and kit that whilst not 'this season' will out shoot many of the newer models. It's only the software that kinda takes these things out - that's where virtue stepped in ;-)