Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Enforcing the rules and unsportsmanlike conduct

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Well, yes and no.

Originally posted by raehl
There definitely needs to be more than 4 refs on the field. BTW... were you guys at the event? I think we're starting to get the impression that all the 10-man fields had 3 or 4 refs on them or something. That wasn't the case, except for maybe a couple exceptions. All the fields my team played on had at least 6 refs, and that's been the case for anyone I've talked to directly.
I reffed the 5-Man and played the 10 at Orlando. Of the latter I doubt more than two games I played had more than 5 refs and on at least one occasion there were only 3 Judges to watch 20 players!

In most cases there were 4 or 5 refs about though so anybody thinking 3 or 4 is slightly clear of the mark.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
So, if we get back to the main point of this thread, enforcing the rules and creating a good overall structure that can really work, what kind of system can we put into place that will prevent such occurances?

I can understand that WC 2002 had unusually difficult circumstances. Lane, on the PSP forum, called it "a worst case situation". Perhaps there was something like a boycott going on by some amateur teams who were miffed by the promoter's schedule or some political problems that had to do with Chuck H, PRO or others. I really don't know.

Let's not focus too much on the past. What kind of structure ought to be in place for the future?

There are penalties in the NPPL rules for teams that don't show or who don't show up with enough refs. Are the rules enforced or are the rules tough enough?

What about the accountability of the promoter? I would guess that most likely if one of the Millennium promoters failed to deliver on certain points, number of refs particularly, then that promoter would at least be sternly warned and would jeopardize the future of him/her promoting Millennium events. Therein lies the accountability.

What kind of accountability system needs to be applied to the NPPL and/or PSP?

I really would like to hear some ideas.

Steve

R

raehl

Re: Well, yes and no.

Originally posted by Liz
Not quite Chris. Having worked on a trade stand at a number of Millenniums recently I can promise you that the refs spend nearly as much as the players at this type of event. You don't get the guys who have forgotten or broken kit buying goods, but the refs tend to have more money as they are getting paid & don't have typical tourney bills to pay.
Somehow I doubt the vendors are going to be terribly impressed by the ability to sell to 50 refs you ahve left after cutting your event down to the size it should be to effectively ccomplish everything else.

Team attendence has grown phenomenally over the past few years. Development of qualified referees has not kept pace.

- Chris

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Ah, slightly misread what Chris was on about, & I was a little more complex in my thinking. It was more along the lines of increase the number of refs per field by taking them from the playing ranks, so you might get less actual teams but the number of attendees would be the same as they are made up for by the increased number of refs. Still around 2000, but the proportions of refs & players would be different.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Yes, but the more you require players to ref, the more difficult you'll discover it is to find enough.
The main problem with paintball is the ratio of officials to players required, it doesn't happen in any other sport. E.G five fields with 10 players each, plus around half as many marshals? So we are always going to have this problem, until sponsorship appears and makes it possible to pay enough pro refs.

Cro

Permanently semi
Jan 2, 2003
Naaaarich
www.walkonzone.com
How do you go about becoming a proper ref? I marshall on the weekends for a regular site, can't afford to play as much as I would like let alone tourneys, but would be interested in becoming a proper ref.

Cro

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Cro
How do you go about becoming a proper ref? I marshall on the weekends for a regular site, can't afford to play as much as I would like let alone tourneys, but would be interested in becoming a proper ref.

Cro
Í think all you need to do is keep doing what you're doing. Learn the rules backwards and forward. Volunteer to ref at some of the local tournaments. Most fields have occasional tournaments where they often need some extra refs. Then decide if you can handle taking Chris Lasoya or Alex Fraige or Bob Long off the field for playing on or wiping (just examples of famous players, not that these people would cheat). Some people can't handle it. If you can't don't bother reffing.

In my opinion.

Steve

R

raehl

Heh, steve...

You're supposed to say "For the low low price of $500, I will make you the who has 2nd best Referee who has ever lived." ;)

- Chris