Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by Baca Loco
1--flashing red in front of a bull. :)

2--Occam's razor. My final word, promise. ;) (About this anyway.)
OK, agreed, we should employ Mr Occam as a mod, what do ya think mate?
My god, the wordage would be hewn down to one hundredth of what we see :):)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by jahlad
to be honest i dont really see i have a dilemma to exit.
i stated my view, you stated yours, we disagreed, end of.
im certainly not embarrassed by anything i have said.

just seems to me that nether of us now wants the other to have the last word and if we can agree on that then i guess we can happily agree to disagree and leave it there.
jahlad.... :)
No probs !
Peace

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by Robbo
OK, agreed, we should employ Mr Occam as a mod, what do ya think mate?
I think Mr. Occam's dictum given two incompatible positions simply implies one of them must be incorrect. Alternatively a somewhat more complicated response might be that universality ain't what we think it is.

Of course in the Paintball context I used to start this silliness where you used evolution to describe an ongoing process I might prefer directed design. ;) (Solves the Tyger problem.)

Samurai

www.samuraipaintball.com
May 2, 2005
UK
www.samuraipaintball.com
Not sure if I'm deviating from the topic or not?!? ;)

But has the M25 (London) venue for this (fight club) been confirmed?

If so, does anyone know where? As would be interested in coming along!!

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by Robbo
Pete i think your 100% correct that XBall is future/present for TV and spectators etc i never disagreed with that, i dont hate Xball i like it, all what i am try to say is that i personally like playing/spectating 7man more than Xball thats all,

OK Pebbles, I got no problems with this stance whatsoever, your preference as to what you like playing is your concern and I 100% respect that, but the point I bought up was that you suggested XBall was boring as against the excitement of 7man as exampled by games between XSV and Dynasty.
My rebuttal was based upon the premise of aggressive games being more interesting to watch and on that basis, XBall games are intrinsically more attractive because they have so much more action going on than the average 7 man.
The example you referred to (Dynasty v XSV) was perhaps an unfortunate one in that these two teams invariably meet when contesting the Sunday Club in the NPPL.
I don't know how much those games you watch at Ledzy's are edited but let me tell ya something Peb, those games are so frikkin boring for the most part.
The Sunday club games are an altogether different proposition from the Friday and Saturday games, the whole game closes down to a run out phase, typically followed by a 5 min techno bore phase and then the clean up phase.
To generalise the style of these games, I think you'd have to use the description of 'non-aggressive'.
XBall can, I agree become repetitive but just because it's repetitive does not make it boring, if Rooney pops in a scorching goal every time he plays, it becomes repetitive, I ain't gonna get bored watching it,
No XBall game is the same, they are virtually all aggressive and therefore, as I said, Intrinsically more attractive.
This was the point I was making, that is all.

Just like, say you prefer apples to pears some people will prefer pears and some people will prefer apples that all, i like pears and apples but i prefer apples

This is a preference in taste, much like you have stated, and better qualifies your position above. you prefer the taste of 7man to Xball, cool, good luck to ya Peb but don't try and tell me you prefer the taste of 7 man because you think it's more exciting (aggressive) than XBall., I take up no issue with you whatsoever re your preference for liking 7 man more, just your stated reasons for doing so

I just hate it when people refuse to like 7man because this new and improved format is better (in their opinion) when most of them people that have been playing more than 3 years before XBall was invented liked 7man watching/playing so they had to of liked playing/watching 7man some time in their paintball career just like you had to have liked palying 10man/7man etc back in NWC/aftershock/AAs day

I don't think people refuse to like 7 man just because XBall hits town but what most people see is, XBall is more dynamic, you have already conceded it to the future of Paintball and think about this next point very carefully Peb, if you have just conceded XBall is the future (which you did in your opening sentence) then why do you think it is going to be the future?
When you ponder the answer to that one, the veil will be lifted as to why people like this format more than 7man.
XBall is an evolutionary step along the way of Paintball, there are people like yourself who dislike it but at the same time acknowledge its inevitability as the sport's standard format.
These two facts are not easily reconcilable for people like you but it is nevertheless true.
I played 15 man, 10 man, 7 man and so on, I have seen it all Peb and trust me, we do not evolve in particular directions randomly, there is a reason why we select our different evolutionary paths, and in this instance, we are getting behind a leaner, meaner format, better suited to player and spectator and as such, this HAS to be seen as an improvement.
You may not like it mate, but it is more attractive, more aggressive and more akin to a proper sport than 7 man.

Anyway, thanks for that post, it was a good one and I hope I have answered you or at least made my position clearer.
From what i understand of it im cool at leaving at that but just to verify i dont hate Xball (as you have stated in the above) i like playing it, i just prefer 7man dats all

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by PEBBLE
From what i understand of it im cool at leaving at that but just to verify i dont hate Xball (as you have stated in the above) i like playing it, i just prefer 7man dats all

Pebs, I just re- read to make sure (I may have missed it) but I don't think I did suggest you hated XBall.....correct me if I am wrong.
But glad to see, we are cool anyways.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by Baca Loco
I think Mr. Occam's dictum given two incompatible positions simply implies one of them must be incorrect. Alternatively a somewhat more complicated response might be that universality ain't what we think it is.
My understanding is that Occam insists that the simplest explanantion is most likely correct. If there is strong evidence that a process is active locally, but not universally, I don't see a conflict. So the simplest explanation is that, "it works like this in general, but it doesn't work that way here, for some reason."

In paintball, there is intelligent design, in that there are decisions made to shape paintball by people who wish to see specific ends met. Evolution is a useful metaphor since there are competing notions of what those ends should be. Since no one party among the competing designers has sufficient influence to decide the shape of paintball by fiat, ideas (and their designers) compete like life forms do in evolution.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ukk

Originally posted by Gyroscope
My understanding is that Occam insists that the simplest explanantion is most likely correct. If there is strong evidence that a process is active locally, but not universally, I don't see a conflict. So the simplest explanation is that, "it works like this in general, but it doesn't work that way here, for some reason."

In paintball, there is intelligent design, in that there are decisions made to shape paintball by people who wish to see specific ends met. Evolution is a useful metaphor since there are competing notions of what those ends should be. Since no one party among the competing designers has sufficient influence to decide the shape of paintball by fiat, ideas (and their designers) compete like life forms do in evolution.
I have read and understood but fail to see the point you are making......please enlighten me oh Gyroscopic one.