The Home Of European Paintball

Fitness

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
Originally posted by Kill Crazy
Ye but Syltiz so you saying that eveyone here commenting then is qualified to advise i dont think so dude.
Plus you trying to say that every PT is not qualified then. All im getting at is everyone always thinks they know best. You may be qualified to comment i dont know but I said go to PT cus i just feel they could advise her better on wat to do.
I think you are underestimating how much of a problem this is at the moment. I have met dozens of PTs and off the top of my head I can think of 3 that I would actully recommend. The others you are just wasting your money with at best, at worst you are endangering your health, seriously.

And Stan I just misread it, I am involved in numerous areas but one of them is fitness for athletes.

Kill Crazy

Aug 2, 2005
Wirral
Visit site
well that i dont know cus i didnt do sports science etc but i am a qualified chef and i now work in finance and for those job i have certificates and qualifactions to prove it so im sure as soon as you ask the PT to prove wat they have they could.

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
Many of them will have qualifications but many of them can be hillbilly ones, where you get pass rates of 50% or lower, so people could pass and still not know half the stuff they need to and the quality of the course very bad.

There are numerous ones around at the moment and the safest way that I have seen is to base your decision on the number of different ones the PT has. The ones I have found to be quite good have had 5+years exerpience and 15+ lists of qualifications ranging from level 3 PT to sports massage. This can normally give you an indication of how commited the person is to make sure they know what is best.

HELLRAISER

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2004
CATTERICK
well i train most days due to my job

average 5 miles a day run steady state. occasionally that reaches 8 miles.

average time for a mile and a half is 9 mins 30 secs

i find steady state good or as someone pointed out before steady running with sprints mixed in ie between points.

i do a lot off training carrying up to 40 - 50 lbs of weight but again that is nice and slow paced just a fast walk..

Curcuits are good also a lot of gyms run curcuit training

cv sessions are the best were say your partner sprints round the gym twice while you do an exercise then you swap and you do this for say 6 sets of exercises..

i find doing the above keeps me fit enougth and is really enjoyable if you keep it up normally train mon to fri as part of my work then sat sun off.

nice and steady i thinks the best dont thrash your self

Personally everyones body is different & so are their goals ultimately the vast majority of us want to be high division players & yes it does take a combination of mental stamina as well as physical.

Paintball is a explosive short burst sport repeated numerous times during a days comptetition, So you need mental stamina & focus to get through the long day as well as physical indurance.

Its true there are some players who are not the fittest on the planet but these days who is.

Whats the point in being as fit as a whippet when your mental agility is carp hampering your your judgement..

Its balancing up the physical & mental sides that makes the difference...

These are simply my thoughts nothing more ..

Darky

HELLRAISER

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2004
CATTERICK
yeah John does not take much to guess that from that routine

dont get a choice in much of it but hey its fun

and keeps me healthy and i get paid for doing it what more can you ask for

Cusack

Oct 17, 2005
sorry to thread-jack (sort of) but can someone (John?) verify the positive / negative effects of protein, when and how much to take etc (im 17 - almost! so it may be different), as i've heard alot of conflicting advice about protein and those high protein shakes..

also, 'the guy' at the gym told me the following, I think he's right but could do with a little verification:

Arc training (the weights where you sit and pull weights with your legs) with 3 sets of 4-6 reps (on a wieght setting where 4-6 is all you can manage), im pretty sure this is true as this is the best number for strength increase, which is better than mass or endurance for us.

and also on the running machine, to have a 20 minute run where you jog for a few minutes and then turn it up to full for about 3 - 5 minutes (they said 5 but 3 was all i could manage). Im guessing this one's right from the lamp to lamp similarity.

I was researching how to increase my speed before christmas, and found (amongst many training schemes which are probably a good idea) sprinting technique on this website, although im not sure how much of it could be transferred to a game breakout (maybe more people will breakout from the 'on your marks' position? or start training at the local track with a paintball marker and 5 pods of paint on their back!)
heres the site, i've found some good information on there, but you do have to filter some stuff out when it gets a bit too in-depth :)
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/sprints/index.htm

This website covers a few things like up-hill running and the cone set-up, under agility training, which you might want to expand your training into: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/agilitydrills.html

I remember the last thread on this, i think I pm'd you john for some advice but you never responded :rolleyes: :p

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
I am sorry if i did not get back to you I am normally fairly good about that sort of thing.

I will start with the protein, there is a time and a place for them. And basically given your age and your relative lack of training experience they will offer you nothing. There is absolutely NO POINT in taking them. If you have a fairly health diet anyway then you should get enough protein in your meals to supply your body. If you want to take it slightly further then you could try and time your meals so that you have say lunch just before you train with a lean chicken breast or 2 in it. This will be more than enough for you. I would suspect that the guy at the gym will tell you that you must take a protein shake after training. He is totally wrong do not listen to him.

Arc training, never heard of that term but I assume you mean a leg curl. It is almost impossible to work out what is going to be best for you with out actually being there and seeing how you get on. The most important thing to remember is that you have a 20-30 rep warm up on half or less your max weight.

Running machine is also varies from person to person, i.e. how long they can run at different speed etc.

I would not bother trying to practice running with your kit on until you are happy with your running technique itself.

Brian mac and the other website are certainly for the most part some of the better ones around so most of the things they say should be good.