Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Generic responses when you tell someone you play paintba..

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
1 ?@&$ that it hurts
2 why don't you just join the army
Positive spin for your responses to them please - we've had 2 good ones

1) it hurts-
Yes it does, the first paintball hurts, then you realise it wasn't that bad, you get back into the game, the adrenaline kicks in, you get shot again and it doesn't hurt
However - if you don't realy want to play, and sit at the back hiding it will hurt, you keep getting caught at the back and every hit hurts
So think realistically, do you want to get out and have some fun or is it absolutely not for you

Potentially add a little comment of applicable to you, that the reason you come back with bruises all the time is you get stuck right in at the front, you're hardcore, most normal people try to avoid being shot

This does 3 things - it changes the perception of paintball equalling pain, it lets them know they don't have to be as hardcore as you, it challenges the competitive spirit / macho image to be as hardcore as you

2)the amount of time I get shot in the head, going to war with real bullets is a pretty bad idea
Or if you're a speedballer then let them know you don't play soldiers, let them know paintball can be played in many ways

Reactions: Biscuit

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
So guys, how do you respond then?

Main response is, Are the guns automatic?!!?
Are they automatic? What paintball to you play, is your gun 'automatic'? What's the difference between 'semi automatic', 'full automatic, and the safety implications of full automatic. What about aided modes that go beyond semi automatic but remain under control

Don't forget the: do you play saving private Ryan?
Do you play 'saving private Ryan?', have you ever played the 'saving Ryan's privates' events that took place in the past?

Four pages and nobody has posted one of the most common: "What is Paintball?"
Good question - what is paintball, what do you play, what other forms of paintball are there, what would the person you are talking to be interested in?

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
So guys, how do you respond then?
Varies massively depending on who you are talking to - their age, gender, apparent attitude and level of interest. Kids who really want to know what you do get a decent chat with simple and (hopefully) interesting explanations, as well as a chance to fiddle with your gun. :)
Whereas someone who is older and potentially trying to patronise you for being an army man will be dismissed with a short answer.*

*The examples given in this paragraph are fictional and not based on real life events. Characters described are not based on any real life person.

Kdc1980

Jul 30, 2013
Hinckley
Side note, I never understood why some sites don't count headshots. People get hit in the head regardless of if you allow it or not. Ultimately if a punter gets hit in the goggles he's not gonna be able to see jack so getting out of play is probably for the best as the chance of lifting goes up. Likewise if they catch one in the back of the noggin', most people aren't very interested in continuing to play so why encourage it?
It's so that you don't just aim for the heads I believe only on punter days so that you don't scare them off hitting them in head might make them not want to come back. So they make head shots not count in a hope that you won't headshot

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Varies massively depending on who you are talking to - their age, gender, apparent attitude and level of interest. Kids who really want to know what you do get a decent chat with simple and (hopefully) interesting explanations, as well as a chance to fiddle with your gun. :)
Whereas someone who is older and potentially trying to patronise you for being an army man will be dismissed with a short answer.*

*The examples given in this paragraph are fictional and not based on real life events. Characters described are not based on any real life person.
My responses on this thread are primarily aimed at those who post up to ridicule & laugh at the comments of 'people' as opposed to 'paintballers'

They tend to not be interested in a conversation unless the listener is astonished by the extreme sport skills of the talker, and if 'ignorance' is shown they like to laugh at it

It falls in line with the negativity of some threads such as paintball being expensive and its not fair, or its ruined by other people being 'noobs', or its not in the Olympics ......

Your quote on the other hand points to a good question and conversation piece
You could have been being sarcastic and slagging people off for ignorance, but your follow up on varying responses and conversation due to circumstances shows a much different point of view

The 'patronising' discussion could be an opportunity, but you've probably shown the ability to assess if the conversation is worth the effort and to act appropriately

Brisance

Tom
Sep 19, 2007
Berkshire
In the case of people asking if they are automatic is usually when i'm marshalling so i answer with the best of my ability and explain further if they are interested.
At no point did i intend to post on this thread to ridicule and laugh, I was just posting as a generic question i get.
After all I wouldn't ridicule someone for asking a question that i most probably asked at one point before i started.

Last edited: