Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting Serious

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
If UK teams want to make a serious assault on a MS title this year, why don't a few club together to bring an American coach over to train them?

Paul Richards - coach to Tampa Bay Damage - is running just that sort of clinic.

For example, The Firm and Disruption could have have a clinic at CPPS, or Paintball Plus if CPPS is unavailable.

Nexus & Banshees could have a clinic at Bricket Wood.

You could also talk to Todd Martinez (Infamous coach).

We need to stamp our authority on the Euro scene, just like we did in the 90's.

Mar 16, 2012
not sure if you have heard, but the Firm were relegated from SPL this year, in spite of two american pro players. maybe america isnt the answer..

Reactions: Talfryn

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
The idea of hiring American "ringers" to play for your team is as old as Madonna.

If you read my first post properly, I'm not advocating the use of American players, but American coaches. Two entirely different things.

I have done an analysis of the performance of UK teams in the MS over the last few years, and also in the PSP World Cup. The results aren't pretty.

So, what is the reason for our poor performance, given that that the UK once fielded world beating teams?

Is it the paint? Of course not. It's not our guns - the UK is home to Eclipse. It's not our players. We have some of the best. Then it must be the Refs. It's always their fault.

The only thing left could be the way in which we train and play. So, in order to be the best, we have to be trained by the best.

American pro teams have two or three full-time coaches, in addition to a pit crew, etc. By way of example, attached is Dynasty's player & staff rosters from the APPA website.

http://www.paintball-players.org/cgi-bin/teamprofile.cgi?ETID=NULRcbYNCM3HfLiK

The best teams in the World compete in the Pro division of the PSP. In order to make a start at becoming that good, we need to hire their coaches.

If any teams are willing to put up money to bring over a coach for a clinic, I'd happily pay an equal share to attend. You don't need to let me play, I'd be happy just to listen and watch.

Last edited:

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
It's the way they train that is key.

You can "train" 5 times a week, but if you aren't doing the right things, you are wasting your time.

Reactions: Rikk

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Its probably a money issue as well though. Its not easy to afford to play an entire season AND pay for top quality coaches. I played pro in ms for 4 seasons, and with the small amount of sponsorship we got (which was an immense help) it would still cost me £500 a month to train and attend an ms event. It would be an incredible strain on someone who is on a decent wage, let alone younger players.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Its an incredibly expensive hobby. I went to Germany with a suitcase of pot noodles once because it was a choice between playing and not eating, or not playing.

StubbsPKS

Din Eidyn
Sep 21, 2011
Edinburgh
www.DinEidynPaintball.com
Its an incredibly expensive hobby. I went to Germany with a suitcase of pot noodles once because it was a choice between playing and not eating, or not playing.
Now that's dedication :) I've copied and pasted your quote onto my team's facebook page. Some of them are students and you sometimes hear "Oh, I can't make it next week, I'm skint" after seeing photos on facebook of massive nights out o_O

Tony Harrison

Mar 13, 2007
Bolter, you are right. And I think that is the reason for the short shelf life of many players.

But the type of clinic I am suggesting will not be expensive for an individual to attend.

Put it this way, would a player who has committed to a full season in the MS baulk at paying £50 to attend a clinic which would be a game-changer?