Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting Serious

STONESOLDIER

Planet Eclipse
Mar 4, 2007
Manchester, Stretford
When the XSV story was released one of there main focus points was to beat Dynasty, They say they train to beat Dynasty and in there discussions if they dont train as much or more they are never going to beat them.

they train all weekend they train some week days big sponsors is a big part of this

We simply cant do this

Sure having an amazing coach come over would help, But just help

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Stoney, The XSV Story should be required viewing for all up-and-coming teams.

I agree - most UK players don't have the time or money to train 2 or 3 times a week.

But what I am saying is that we need to change the way we are training, in order to beat everyone in the MS.

If Paul came over and did a clinic for a couple of teams, they could just train the way he has told them to train. And the result should be a massive improvement in performance. It wouldn't mean training 5 times a week, just changing the way you do things.

For an example of how changing the way you train improves your performance, look at this:-

http://www.millennium-series.com/team_profile.php?Team=Polar Bears Tarko Sale

From 24th place to 3 1st place finishes, and 2nd place overall in SPL in one easy step. So, who did they get to train them so well?

Or did they just get hold of some Shamen Juice?

Last edited:

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
Stoney, The XSV Story should be required viewing for all up-and-coming teams.

I agree - most UK players don't have the time or money to train 2 or 3 times a week.

But what I am saying is that we need to change the way we are training, in order to beat everyone in the MS.

If Paul came over and did a clinic for a couple of teams, they could just train the way he has told them to train. And the result should be a massive improvement in performance. It wouldn't mean training 5 times a week, just changing the way you do things.

For an example of how changing the way you train improves your performance, look at this:-

http://www.millennium-series.com/team_profile.php?Team=Polar Bears Tarko Sale

From 24th place to 3 1st place finishes, and 2nd place overall in SPL in one easy step. So, who did they get to train them so well?

Or did they just get hold of some Shamen Juice?
they didn't have their russian legion players for the first tourney.

Reactions: Sanchez

alicethegoon

Dec 30, 2008
Clinics are always a great idea, sadly never well supported as people would rather spunk money on goggle straps and crap hanging off their belts or packs, or buying the latest this and the latest that than learn. Clinics run by the right people will help no end, period.

But

What happens when you get to the event? What the UK lacks is a coach that can read games (talking x ball here) and make real time changes during games to counter teams. My point is your x ball team may have a decent level of skill maybe even better than your opposition but if the other guys have a smart coach who can call plays to counter you in terms of laning and breakouts then my money will be on them. How many times do we see teams with big point leads turn matches around? Is it because the players suddenly get better? Nope, it's because someone from the outside who is smart and can read games instigates changes to how they play and where to shoot off the break. The ability to adapt and to adapt quick enough.

Getting the likes of Paul over for a clinic is part 1, part 2 is paying him or someone HE recommends to coach you at the event

Mar 16, 2012
The idea of hiring American "ringers" to play for your team is as old as Madonna.

If you read my first post properly, I'm not advocating the use of American players, but American coaches. Two entirely different things.

I have done an analysis of the performance of UK teams in the MS over the last few years, and also in the PSP World Cup. The results aren't pretty.

So, what is the reason for our poor performance, given that that the UK once fielded world beating teams?

Is it the paint? Of course not. It's not our guns - the UK is home to Eclipse. It's not our players. We have some of the best. Then it must be the Refs. It's always their fault.

The only thing left could be the way in which we train and play. So, in order to be the best, we have to be trained by the best.

American pro teams have two or three full-time coaches, in addition to a pit crew, etc. By way of example, attached is Dynasty's player & staff rosters from the APPA website.

http://www.paintball-players.org/cgi-bin/teamprofile.cgi?ETID=NULRcbYNCM3HfLiK

The best teams in the World compete in the Pro division of the PSP. In order to make a start at becoming that good, we need to hire their coaches.

If any teams are willing to put up money to bring over a coach for a clinic, I'd happily pay an equal share to attend. You don't need to let me play, I'd be happy just to listen and watch.
I hear what you say, and id also agree that Paul is one of, if not the best paintball mind in the world. What he has done with damage and his blog is evidence of this. I definitely got a huge amount out of the clinic/ training session he did with us in the states a couple of years ago before world cup.

I agree also that having an american coach would be massively beneficial, but name me one of the top three UK teams right now that has a non player coach, who calls the line, the play, and watches and analyses the game from behind the netting? Im not denying that a player/captain/coach can do a great job, but how can you tell exactly what is going on with every play, every player, every point when you are focusing also on playing yourself and your own job on the field?

as for the way we play, I am not denying we have extremely talented players in the UK. but if you look at the top teams in the PSP, they all train against each other on a regular basis. Playing better players and teams is paramount of a team is going to improve. Of course there are exceptions, such as the legion, and joy- who have/had no other big teams to train against in their vicinity. and to an extent and with a lot of sucess they make up for this with their individual core skill levels, name me a team that practices running and shooting, lane shooting, snapshooting, first shot accuracy etc in the world more than those two teams?

which brings me to my next point- drills. maybe only two of the top mills teams in the UK right now do drills on a regular basis.

as for the point about Polar Bears, i dont know where dave got the idea they didnt have their russian legion players for the first event was, they certainly did. it looked like they had a lot of paint issues that event. sure having max as a coach must have helped massively, but those two players made a huge impact on that team.

Last edited:
Reactions: STONESOLDIER

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Spot on. So, we need full-time coaches and good teams to train against.

The first thing that springs to mind is, how about paying Twizz, Markie C or Ledz to coach?

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
Spot on. So, we need full-time coaches and good teams to train against.

The first thing that springs to mind is, how about paying Twizz, Markie C or Ledz to coach?
I have tried to do clinics before, and for free, ask Robbo, he posted up on these forums about 5 years ao that I was offering to do free clinics, but again it was lack of interest

All any team has to do is ask and I will do a clinic for nothing, I wouldn't even ask for fuel, I still do enjoy coaching. But I can't put myself in the same class as Paul Richards or any of the American or Russian coaches that is for sure.

All any Team has to do is ask.

And there is nothing more I would love is to has a season of committed players (or the GB Players) to work with, I have good players with Tigers but we lack funds, just like most teams do.

Reactions: ShelleyHicky

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
I tell you what then, I wil do a free clinic at the CPPS and one at Bricketwood and see what response we get, players will have to pay the normal green fee, but they can bring there own paint, so I will send the CPPS a email now to let him know and just make sure its ok and I will see Yorkie on Sunday and ask him also

It will be interesting to see what the response will be like, but even if I only get 5 players I will still come up from down south to the CPPS

Reactions: odins-sidekick

alicethegoon

Dec 30, 2008
I agree also that having an american coach would be massively beneficial, but name me one of the top three UK teams right now that has a non player coach, who calls the line, the play, and watches and analyses the game from behind the netting? Im not denying that a player/captain/coach can do a great job, but how can you tell exactly what is going on with every play, every player, every point when you are focusing also on playing yourself and your own job on the field?

Erm.....Well I can't name one because that was my point !! Clinics are step 1 and then a designated coach, again the likes of Paul is part 2.
The nuts and bolts of it is, in my opinion, the UK hasn't got a coach yet that can coach to the same degree as Paul or someone of a similar standard. If there was someone qualified to coach to this standard then they have to want to do it as well, giving up weekends, travelling etc which is a whole different issue.