Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Help please

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
Hi,

I've just bought a 2nd hand proto rail and just started to take it apart for servicing (seems its not been much loved), it has a leak somewhere so and going to do a complete o ring swap out and re lube.

My problem is the can will not unscrew. I'm trying to warm it up with hot water to see if it will give, but so far no luck.

Any suggestions as to other things I can try, I really don't want to put a grips/clamp on the can just in case I scratch it.

N.B I've a reflex rail and an NT so know how these "should" come apart.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Aug 10, 2009
Try putting it in a vice clamped either side with soft mdf (anything that will not break/ damage the bolt kit easily) as padding.

If the vice alone will not help you loosen it by hand, try using small Allen keys in the Cans porting, insert in opposing sides of the can for leverage, with the other end in the padded vice.

This second idea is last resort as it can damage the porting unless using a better alternative to Allen keys eg. Small picks, or small rat tail files can work too.

To leave no damage at all it is all about distributing weight evenly between the two keys/picks/files.

Pm to tell me how you get on.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
These should only ever be done up hand tight - sounds like yours has been attacked by a gorilla

Bitch to get apart without damage if overtightened

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Or perhaps one of those little slip proof mats one puts on the dash of one`s car,
they work a treat.

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
I did it - used a combination of everyone's advise.

I oiled the can yesterday with 3in1 and gave it 24hours to work its magic.
I used a rubber glove for grip holding the can end,
and with a very long thin end of a spoon I used it as a lever to break it open.

I'm as pleased as punch with myself.

As I suspected it had never been opened and the bolt o-rings are in a right state. A mixture of paint, grease and grit.

So now to replace all and get this marker back up an running.

Thanks for all your advise (even the amusing ones) kept me focused on getting the task done.

Colin.

Last edited: