Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How to be a good ref...

chrizwheatley

Northern Baller
Sep 23, 2007
Near Newcastle
I have to be honest here...

When i play, i play, but when i watch, i watch the refs, more some then others if i see a "weak" ref i make it known (as i am sure gassy can confirm from the 5 man this weekend).

Personally i love to play but have to admit i like to ref better. In events where the UK refs are present i watch and love to learn from them especially Russel, Gilly & Marshy. I herd a strange quote on Sunday " gilly is bias" whom is he bias against or for he does not play or follow any team at all? I think what people forget is if you are known as a cheat or brag about cheating then of course a ref will pay particular attention to you.

In my mind a good ref uses common sense just the same as happens in everyday life. A real ref knows the rules and will not be afraid to go by the rules and stick by the decision. 1 thing that has become apparent in my limited tournament experience is there is refs whom are 'not sure' so they let the real rules slide and it then becomes the job of the ultimate to be the bad guy etc (read the rules and grow some balls). It has also become apparent that a guy whom knows the rules and is a 'good ref' has become swell headed and becomes 1 4 1 happy etc.

I guess the moral of the story is....

Learn the rules to the best of your ability.
Make sure you inform the ultimate and make your stance known on any particular call.
Watch and learn from people who are in fairness the best at what they do.
Be keen, buy yourself a chono, squeegee, towel, whistle etc etc.

And last but not least be totally inparial and say what you see (especially not what the side line viewer sees).

1 thing that always sticks in my mind was something Gilly said to me... "by all means cheat but dont complain when your are caught and made to pay for it" for this i suggest any ref consider this.... there is 2 games going on within a field 1 team v 1 team and 2nd refs v 2 teams, its no secret that 'everyone cheats' to a certain extent thus is paintball, if they believe they can get away with it, when i ref i believe i am playing a game with all players on the field of who can i catch doing so and will cal it without prejudice straight down the line.

Maybe a long winded speech but i believe a ref should not be a machine and dont believe any kinda guideline or other bits and bobs can improve a ref etc

Hope this helps :D