Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

HPA guerrila tanks - loctite?

matj

Mar 22, 2013
Hi all,

Had a lovely moment earlier when one of my tanks decided it disliked behaving... The gold part at the top (picture of an example below) started unscrewing after i started screwing it into my mini and became worse after being removed. I use an external on/off ASA so its not due to the excessive pressure the lack of on/off causes.

All of the air started leaking from the gap where the pin and its housing has been screwed out which resulted in me placing it on the floor and briskly walking into a different room after closing the door :LOL:... then i changed my underwear.

It looks to be a common thing whereby this does occasionally happen. I have seen the odd "use loctite" thrown around....

Should I add loctite to the thread to prevent this from occuring again or will it do more damage than good? Or is there another method I should consider instead?

If i should then what should i be using and should i do it to my second tank which hasnt had any issue yet.

Thank you all for your input, i look forward to hearing from you.

Picture of the regulator (the gold part started unscrewing. Its a myth g3 on a guerilla 3000psi steel tank)

matj

Mar 22, 2013
It's originally from rap4. It's pi marked and within date by 4 1/2 years. The one that started unscrewing is second hand, the other is brand new a week ago.

alexd

http://essexaces.co.uk
Feb 17, 2006
Essex
www.facebook.com
guerilla regs are serviceable items...

I bought mine from LIPS, so before doing anything I'd call either RAP4 or LIPS for their advice.

Loctite may be applied by bottle manufactures, but that is for the thread into the bottle, not for the thread into your ASA. It is also thread locking Loctite, not adhesive (not sure if you are aware of that)

matj

Mar 22, 2013
Although the guerrillas can be serviced I'm not a fan of touching them myself.

I was thinking just some blue loctite on the thread of the gold part (inside) to add some extra resistance but prevent the awful 'oh dear...it needs servicing and won't come apart' scenario. I used to play with a lot of hobby grade rc cars so I learned not to permanently attach anything a long time ago.

I have read people say 'if its got air in the resistance is enough don't worry!' ...it happened with 2k air left in it so im not inclined to support that view at the moment haha.

I have read that guerilla is the only one to not use loctite but as you say that's generally for the main thread into the actual bottle and not for the gold part in the image above. Ill give rap4 a bell during the week and see what they have to say about it. Although I realise I took the option of abandoning the tank it has a hell of a lot of thread left beyond how far it came off and emptied rather quick. Nice to know there are a lot of safety precautions in place to prevent mis haps.

Thank you for your help

matj

Mar 22, 2013
I can answer my own question haha

Came up with a brainwave and decided to find a video of the top flange being replaced and to use that as a guide as long as it was by a decent company etc.

The top flange is simply tightened by Allen key with no extra help from adhesives or loctite whatsoever. It seems I was having an extremely bad day and the top of my tank had worked itself loose over time resulting in the leak I had. I say bad because 30 mins prior my mini was also leaking and had to be repaired. Fun times...just as well it was tested after maintenance I guess. I'm also glad both situations were minor issues.

Thank you for the help