Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Insurance help

Reece Jeffery

Jun 17, 2014
Hi guys, I hope I have came to the right place here. I am hosting a paintball event for my business studies coursework, but am having trouble with 1 thing. It is an event for 1 day only and I am struggling to find any insurance companies that do paintball and for 1 day only. It is for charity fundraising so profits will not be kept. Hope you guys can help.
Reece

did243

Luxe/GOG Tech
Feb 17, 2012
Hi guys, I hope I have came to the right place here. I am hosting a paintball event for my business studies coursework, but am having trouble with 1 thing. It is an event for 1 day only and I am struggling to find any insurance companies that do paintball and for 1 day only. It is for charity fundraising so profits will not be kept. Hope you guys can help.
Reece
hosting an event? do you have a paintball field? setup and ready? with all health and safety factors in place. along with it being a business. just a few factors why an insurance company wont offer out....

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Let me tell you two stories of amateurs running paintball events:

1) a non standard venue, used for airsoft was identified and was of interest to paintballers
There was one, or occasional limited use, by a small number of players with very limited paint
An established event organiser planned an event and a lot of interest was generated (aiming to use powder balls)
A small paintball team secured an earlier date, for limited numbers and limited paint, for their first ever event

The venue was a shopping centre in the centre of reading (the mall)

The costs of the venue were high and limited numbers/limited paint were making things unviable, so it changed to unlimited paint, unlimited numbers

Things went badly wrong, and from bad to worse
They had bit off more than they can chew, it promptly turned into a pool of clear paint, players were due to be helping the clean up, but were leaving early
Money was owed, paintball was banned from the site, the team ceased to exist, the rest is history

2) two blokes played scenario for a few years, they badgered their local site for running an event for years
They gained a third, formed a team, and were granted a date to take over the venue. Then the panic began - would anyone book - yes, with their history (and timing), friendships with other teams - people actually booked and turned up
Then the next panic - were they realy capable of running an event?
It was not perfect, but it worked

Why did this event work -
It was perfectly timed, for 'run by players for players'
They had spent years seeing how some of the best games were run
They partnered with the site - for the venue, the facilities, the staff, the logistics, the risk assessments, the insurance, the booking system, the paint, etc

They provided the scenario, extra labour to tweak game zones, etc

By cooperating, identifying responsibilities, discussing the differences between punters and scenarioists etc the key factors were covered
Nothing went wrong to require use of the insurance, but the team, the site and the insurers were all happy

In the second example the team still run events, and have learned a lot of lessons along the way
There are two ways to run an event - in conjunction with the site, or by renting the site by the day. By doing so in conjunction with the site you MAY be able to use the sites insurance, however every site is differnent and their insurance is strongly linked to their risk assessment and measures / policies they have in place

How are you running an event? Are you using an existing site? Are you experienced in paintball? Have you got risk assessments? Have you the money to fund the insurance?

One off event paintball insurance is available

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Reece
Why not host it at your local site? Im sure if you talk to the owner, they will be able to accommodate you!

crumbla146

Sep 17, 2012
farnham
slightly off topic but say you had the land, the bunkers, the air system and the players, by buying and selling paint, and providing air (safely), without officially being a business would it be legal?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
slightly off topic but say you had the land, the bunkers, the air system and the players, by buying and selling paint, and providing air (safely), without officially being a business would it be legal?
Not necessarily illegal, but:

The taxman would be interested
Not 'officially' being a business can have legal connotations
If it is a business then HSE legislation applies, you need public liability insurance, etc

If you have access to land then what's the status of the land? Is it private ? Is it realy private?
You (or the landowner) are liable for anything that happens to people, even if they are not meant to be on the land
A very dodgy area is farmland / land owned by a farm. This is not private in the legal sense with regard to liabiltity if you run paintball on spare land. As a business farms are workplaces for the staff and publicly accessible by other businesses such as truck drivers, vets etc

crumbla146

Sep 17, 2012
farnham
Not necessarily illegal, but:

The taxman would be interested
Not 'officially' being a business can have legal connotations
If it is a business then HSE legislation applies, you need public liability insurance, etc

If you have access to land then what's the status of the land? Is it private ? Is it realy private?
You (or the landowner) are liable for anything that happens to people, even if they are not meant to be on the land
A very dodgy area is farmland / land owned by a farm. This is not private in the legal sense with regard to liabiltity if you run paintball on spare land. As a business farms are workplaces for the staff and publicly accessible by other businesses such as truck drivers, vets etc
yea thought so, team interest, private PRIVATE and big enough to accommodate a few people, wouldn't exactly want to advertise it. public liability was interesting though, because i am convinced i read something about how paintball sites only actually have to insure staff, not players?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
yea thought so, team interest, private PRIVATE and big enough to accommodate a few people, wouldn't exactly want to advertise it. public liability was interesting though, because i am convinced i read something about how paintball sites only actually have to insure staff, not players?
Use of land by a team for training purposes would be different to running as an unofficial site
Keep it safe, control access, comply with distances from roads and pathways etc. The legal issue would be if something happened to someone and there became a liability

Businesses have legal obligations to their staff, and the law can require their liability to be covered
They do not legally have to insure for their customers. But are then open to a claim - lack of insurance requirements do not remove liability
But for a business to operate it has to comply with laws and local council regulations, probably needs a licence to operate (which can set rules on the type of use, what can be done, time restrictions etc - all affected if there are residential areas nearby) councils will want to know it's being run properly with risk assessments, in line with the rest of the industry etc