The Home Of European Paintball

Inter-Uni Tournament :):)

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by unowho
UWE has joined?!?! cool:D yeah they from brisl, where i come from! didnt know they did paintball, learn a new thing every day...
They had a club a number of years ago, but from what i could gather it had become inactive when the committee had graduated. Unfortunately a not uncommon problem. But they are starting up again now which is good.
Originally posted by feloneous
Starting to get one together at Brighton, I'l keep you posted
Excellent mate. :D Best of luck getting getting started. Hoefully you'll be up and running in time to join us for some inter-uni paintball next term.

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
Aberdeen Uni is running its first tourney...
Truly old-school woodsball tourney... Twisted ankles for everybody!!
Fingers crossed we pull it off and manage to start something worthwhile... If it picks up, we'll start doing something for more Unis and Colleges across Scotland...

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Hull University now has a recognised club. Bringing the total of recognised clubs to 13 (Aberdeen, Birmingham, Coventry, East-Anglia, Hull, Imperial, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, Teeside, Warwick, West-England, & York). And there are 4 clubs hopefully starting in Keele, Staffordshire, Brighton and Scarborough.

Don't worry, things are still ticking over sorting out our options for a tourney next term. :)

Ryan(pb alexandria)

Clan Killer
Sep 5, 2004
Loch Lomond
Visit site
Originally posted by AUPaintSoc
Aberdeen Uni is running its first tourney...
Truly old-school woodsball tourney... Twisted ankles for everybody!!
Fingers crossed we pull it off and manage to start something worthwhile... If it picks up, we'll start doing something for more Unis and Colleges across Scotland...
If you need a hand mate give me a shout.

Ive been trying to get a tourny/pb interest at my uni (Glasgow uni) for ages but thiers not alot of interest.

but i got some tricks up my sleeve for after xmass.

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
Originally posted by Ryan(pb alexandria)
If you need a hand mate give me a shout.

Ive been trying to get a tourny/pb interest at my uni (Glasgow uni) for ages but thiers not alot of interest.

but i got some tricks up my sleeve for after xmass.
Fancy coming up for this? I think the other team would appreciate some skilled assistance... The 2nd of December... Its a Friday, but theres always places to crash here etc... Let me know...

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
Originally posted by Chris110986
i need help guys!

i want to set up a team at my uni (winchester) but all there interested is running out into the woods and pretending to be solders!

any idea how i could get more interest in super-air?

any help would be good!
And whats wrong with running around woods pretending to be soldiers? Dont tell me you dont enjoy it!!!

With our society, most of the members are once-a-month recballers, with about 10 of us serious about tourney. Most clubs will be like this, tourney is too expensive and too serious for most members. But do as the previous guy suggests, go to a place with both and let them try, preferably not with site markers, with some nice fancy guns if you can!!!

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
There has been a fair amount writen on the need for a core of recballers in a uni club from which to recruit tourney players. It is much easier to build up a strong base recballers and then convert them over to tourney ball, than it is to recruit students straight over to tourney. Mainly because recball is an awful lot more accessable to players as well.

- They don't need their own kit. Yes i know you can lend people kit, but its so much simpler just to turn up to a site and get handed everything you need.

- The site basically sorts out the whole day for them. Just turn up and play, no real preparation required.

- It is what they are more familiar with, and more likely to have already tried, or know people who have tried. People like the familiar.

- There isn't such a serious competitive nature to it making it less intimidating to the newer player, its just for fun is the best way to try something. If you like it you can take it seriously, but to start out serious without even knowing if you like it will put people off.

Build a club of recballers. Have regular trips to a local site. If it's one that has a sup'air field, do a half day in the woods on a usual package type thing. Then in the afternoon hire out the sup'air field, get your tourney players to ref/coach/etc and let them all try a bit of sup'air. It worked for us, I'm got more people wanting to join the tourney team than i know what to do with this year.