Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Interview with Marcus Davis - One of the Most Successful Brits of All Time !!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Back in the day of woodland teams and events [circa 1988-2000] the notion of training was a lot different than today's.
I cannot think of any team who really trained, we just played ball, and that was it.
The vast majority of pro teams trained every other week at the most.
The advent of arena based events required a whole new approach which necessarily involved reductionist approaches as most other sporting disciplines.
We evolved .... and so did training.

Reactions: Spikerz

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Back in the day of woodland teams and events [circa 1988-2000] the notion of training was a lot different than today's.
I cannot think of any team who really trained, we just played ball, and that was it.
The advent of arena based events required a whole new approach which necessarily involved reductionist approaches as most other sporting disciplines.
Hence the Sandbaggers, who have been the #1 woodand team in the UK for a while now, have a training schedule they stick to religiously.

The night before the event, they go out and get ratted.

Seems to work.

Reactions: RST and Spikerz

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
A very interesting and poignant point that Robbo and Marcus just made on the video, and something that the local field manager just mentioned today to me.

"A boxer never loses his punch"

"You my friend are an old wolf, not as fast but still know what to do and kill"

Most of our game is won between the ears. If you have it, you have it. I've won games (and reffed them) running on 90 minutes of sleep and hungover to all hell.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Marcus was a one-off and unequaled in international paintball - I'd even go as far to suggest that as a captain, he was about the best I've seen.
The reason I venture this is because a lot of the Yank teams had a better team roster in terms of individual talent - the Preds weren't a bunch of great players though they were a great team.
Marc never really needed to be tactically astute, nobody really did back then but Marc's talent was getting the best out of his players and moulding them into a team.
They all had their roles to play, and they were as consistent as hell - on top of that, he was a magnificent motivator.
He protected those guys both on the field and off - all he asked was that you fulfilled the role he assigned you.
Whenever you get a bunch of guys together in any competitive environment, those teams who had a dominant male seemed to be able to go that one step further than the rest.

One other thing that sometimes gets lost amid the accolades that the Preds attracted was the fact Marcus was a great player.
As most of you may know, we both used to box back in the day and I truly believe that the skills learned in the ring enabled both of us to do well at paintball and I will readily admit to believing Marc was a better player and captain than I ever was,
He was an inspiration to not only his team but to his peers, and I doubt we'll see his like again in paintball.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
You trained us Robbo. Split Personalities had several sessions with you in the mid 90's, while playing in the 10 man Home Counties League. I think we might have been the first woodsball team you coached at that time. Chris Hoare - 3rd from left in the front row, went onto play for you in Shockwave a few years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spikerz

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Quite correct, you were the first team I ever did a seminar for but you lot did the hard bit and put it all into practice; as far as I remember, didn't you guys then go from last in the league to 2nd or something like that?

Just goes to show, a little knowledge can go a long way; I've ways maintained that anybody can tell someone else what to do but unless you understand the reasons behind what you've been told, then all you've mastered is how and not why.