The Home Of European Paintball

Ion Goods and Bads

Paontball Mad

Bourmouth Riptide!!-!!-!!
Jun 17, 2006
Dorset
www.freewebs.com
Ok

to finish this once and for all or at least for about a month ;)

give me your opions on the smart parts ion

Plus points:
cheap
easy to upgrade
popular (easy to find spares)
quick
good for starters and as a back up

Negatives:
hard to maintain
not unique
you can spend to much upgrading them when you could get a shocker for the same price!!!
build quailty is bad
not very good as your main marker
made from plastic spoons (better as plastic spoons)

give me your views :confused:

cheers Tim :cool:

yngndrw

Jul 23, 2006
Southport, UK
hard to maintain
Personally, I don't think it is any harder than most other markers. The bolt does take longer to remove than quite a few however.

not unique
Not always true, with aftermarket body kits and frames, you can mix and match to make a more unique marker. You have a lot more choise than say, an Ego. However yes, most people seems to go for red and black. (Me included :p)

you can spend to much upgrading them when you could get a shocker for the same price!!!
True, but you can split the payment over x months instead of having one lump sum. Also you can build a second ION out of the stock parts that you take off, which can be used as a spare or can be sold.

build quailty is bad
Of some parts yes, but in general they are alright stock.

I use an ION as my main marker ? Okay it isn't stock, but why not ?

Yes dear. :rolleyes:

Just my opinions. :)

lemonadeX

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
(near) Southampton
Negatives:
hard to maintain
build quailty is bad
Not sure I'd agree with those. Although moreso than other high-end guns, it will take you the best part of 10 minutes to dismantle - And by that I mean down to the bolt with the solenoid etc removed. But that doesn't need to be done too often - Only after a days 'balling where you might wanna lube up the bolt or clean out some paint.

Also, I would personally prefer to buy an Ion and spend money on buying the upgrades I want than spending lots more on a completely stock upgrade - You can then choose the upgrades you want which keeps the cost down. For me, there is nothing I see vital to upgrade but I have bought an aftermarket trigger to help walk it (although the stock one isn't terrible) and an On/Off to make it easier to unscrew the tank after use.

For those who cannot afford to shell out £500+ on a DM/Ego its a great option and all of the upgradeable parts allow for it to be tailored to your needs. The shell seems plasticky but is made from a polymer which makes it scratch-resistant and easy to clean. New body kits cost ~£25 whereas a body kit for an Ego or DM is likely to cost more than that, and harder to install.

So sure, it isn't as good as other high-end markers but its a fraction of the price and the saved money can be spent on a decent air system, hopper, kit etc.

There, my 2 cents :)

-Will

Paontball Mad

Bourmouth Riptide!!-!!-!!
Jun 17, 2006
Dorset
www.freewebs.com
ok the shocker is the most used pro marker its small quick can be upgraded which unlike its ion little brother it doesnt need to be. There only £380 new so i cant see the reason in spending £400 on upgradeding a nonfield strip gun

also theres lots of angels around for the same price and after getting my G7 fly i will never go away from an angel :D

Negatives:
hard to maintain, true its not the quickest to get the bolt out of but thats not exactly means its hard to maintain, plus if there is something wrong that you cant fix there are that many people around that know how to fix them and can fix them its no real problem at all

not unique, lets see you say that to some of the upgraded ones, true its not unique stock but no gun thats stock is unique unless its a limited run really

you can spend to much upgrading them when you could get a shocker for the same price!!! depends really, i dont know about you but i like tinkering with guns, plus that way you have a more unique marker, depends what you think needs upgrading on it really, i can think of 4 major parts, the rest dont really matter as much (the parts that need upgrading being trigger, feedneck, asa and barrel)

build quailty is bad, in what way really it only gets bad when people start to strip the screws inside imo, its not fantastic but its not really an issue either

not very good as your main marker all depends on what you want as your main marker and how much you want to spend on one

made from plastic spoons (better as plastic spoons) Im not even gonna answer that

-Mat

ok the shocker is the most used pro marker its small quick can be upgraded which unlike its ion little brother it doesnt need to be. There only £380 new so i cant see the reason in spending £400 on upgradeding a nonfield strip gun

also theres lots of angels around for the same price and after getting my G7 fly i will never go away from an angel :D
well it depends, i cant find a store that will sell shockers for 380 inc tax unless you know someone, in which case you can get ions for £110 BNIB if you know someone as well

also shockers arent really field stripable either are they?

-Mat

beanbag83

I'm either drunk or high
Feb 12, 2006
King's Lynn, Norfolk, England
+ points:
Cheap
Fast
Good Value for money
No need to clean them because they're disposable, after a days balling just chuck it away. :D :D :D (Thats a joke so no need to get all uppity)

Feel Cheap (in my opinion :rolleyes: )
Have you seen what you get 2nd hand cockers for now days???:confused:
Can cost you as much to upgrade as to buy a top end marker.

Just my 2p.

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
Not sure I'd agree with those. Although moreso than other high-end guns,

negatives

Its not a high end gun despite what you think
build
gripframe is awful to hold
tacky
no fluid lines that you get with a nice milled Metal body
feed neck strips easy
takes time to change and clean bolt unless you get a mod
cheap and nasty
The 1.99 bbq of the paintball world

Plus points

Fires like a mid to high gun
cheap and nasty
lots of upgrades and I do meen lots
pretty light
small
compact

And before anyone says it is a high end gun

high end
Ego
dm6
shocker pl
timmy

mid
pm6
etek
shocker

low end

ion
a5
diablo wrath
promaster(but more mid)

scum
blowbacks

Jakey C

Jake Cross
May 28, 2006
wirral
If you class shockers as mid range markers...and ions as low end markers...You got somthing ticking too loud in your head...Shockers easily high end...Ions mid range
Low range is the likes of spyder's and mechs

There is no scum..If it shoots paint at over 250fps and under 300fps its low end :)