Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

is it illegal to fire your paintball gun in your back garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Invert

Oct 27, 2008
N.Wales - Wrexham
www.outpostpaintball.co.uk
Hope not! I've test fired my marker in garden, I think the secret is to do it during the day (as long as your neighbours aren't out enjoying a quiet afternoon sunning themselves) and fire into or at a safe target.

As long as your safe and don't take the mick it shouldn't concern the authorities.

Even on your own land, you could still potentially get bitched at for making a nuisance to your neighbours (noise and the like). It si a good idea to inform your neighbours if you can (if it is likely they will hear/see you) even suggest they have a go if you like. Also try and make sure your back stop is a quiet one.

very true the police could arrest you on a section 5 public order offence

Skeet

Platinum Member
very true the police could arrest you on a section 5 public order offence
Well. If there was evidence to suggest that you had made an excessive amount of noise, not taken precautions regarding the paint, been an ******* about it if a neighbour questioned you, then been an ******* when the Police arrived, yes probably. But, it is worth noting, that markers aren't governed and if you are on your land, you have a right to be there.

Of course, if your neighbours were that bothered, then they could just say you threatened them. Then you're buggered, with only anyone else's word to your character.

Which is why, I always used to check with my neighbours (at least the first time) before shooting off. Besides, I see no real point in blatting loads of paint down the garden, it serves little purpose. I only used to do it when testing markers after teching them, briefly.

You may argue that you may want to practice snapping etc in the garden, but, if you have a big enough garden, then it won't worry your neighbours and if your garden is small, then you won't achieve much anyway.

The most important thing to remember, is not to be a knob. At the end of the day, Jo Public is not used to dealing with guns of any kind and regardless of if your are legally in the right, you're still the weirdo with the gun.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
I believe it IS illegal to carry compressed air on public transport though, so carrying a full bottle might not be as kosher, but as pointed out the police are unlikely to search you on the bus.
But why would you be carrying compressed air on public transport anyway, don't you empty your tanks after playing or training ;);):D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

womble100

www.team-gbh.co.uk
May 29, 2008
Reigate
It is also illegal to carry compressed air in your car if you dont have an compressed air sticker on your car/ van. This is very easy 2 sort you go to your local dive shop give them £2 they give you a Stiicker. You should have allso have it in diff part of you bag 2 your gat. The plus side to the sticker is they wont tow your car away:)

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
It is also illegal to carry compressed air in your car if you dont have an compressed air sticker on your car/ van. This is very easy 2 sort you go to your local dive shop give them £2 they give you a Stiicker. You should have allso have it in diff part of you bag 2 your gat. The plus side to the sticker is they wont tow your car away:)
Where did you get that info from? Is not that legislation for work not leisure?

Note if you have a "sticker" in your car, you are in an accident and you do not have compressed air in the vehicle you can be prosecuted too :eek:

womble100

www.team-gbh.co.uk
May 29, 2008
Reigate
I was told by the very nice traffic policeman that pulled us over on the way back from a tournament. I dont know the legislation on work or leisure? But i have put a sticker on my car.

Note if you have a "sticker" in your car, you are in an accident and you do not have compressed air in the vehicle you can be prosecuted too. On all our work vans we have stickers but only carry compressed air once in a blue moon but by law we must have them on our vans for when we do so not sure how the law stands on this???? Anybody know??

Skeet

Platinum Member
Right then. Had a look at a few websites. What appears below is from one forum and would seem to be accurate:

The stickers are required by law in the UK if you are transporting gas for work purposes only.

If its for personal use, e.g. no reward, then you are not required to use a sticker.

Knowing a few fireman though, they prefer it if people put the stickers up if they are carrying compressed gas, regardless of whether its for work or not. It makes things a damn site safer if you do have an accident, and cannot tell the fire brigade what you are carrying. If you aren't carrying gas though, but leave the sticker up, it delays rescue attempts.

We carry diving gas quite often, and have a compressed gas sign stuck to one of those "baby on board" sucker pad things. Lives in the car and is very easy to put up/remove.

Also, make sure your bottles are well secured. A 12l 232 bar cylinder (std dive tank) contains roughly the same energy as 2 hand grenades, and it the valve is knocked off will do some serious damage.
And, someone after my own heart, who likes to insert quotes from legislation:

I have checked the 'Carriage of dangerous goods' section of the UK Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regs.

As Storm Monkey has already said, "The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals intended for their personal or domestic use or for their leisure or sporting activities." is an exception under the regulations.

However, for those of you who are in business the following should be noted:

"The regulations described below are complex and it is only possible to give an outline summary of the very detailed requirements. It is advisable for any operator to have complete copies of the regulations and the associated document — ADR — to ensure full compliance.
Note: There is no quantity of dangerous goods as defined by these regulations that is totally exempt from the requirements, this means that plumbers, builders and other tradesmen may be subject to the regulations. There are concessions for small quantities and certain transport operations (these are explained below)."

The above are direct quotes from C&U regs for information.

Also out of interest (boredom?) I took a look around a local caravan agent, and all new caravans in stock had the warning diamond on the gas bottle stowage locker. This does not appear to be required under the regulations, but is probably considered to be 'good practice'.
So there you have it.

- You are not required to display a "Compressed Gasses" sticker in your vehicle.

- If you have an accident, with compressed gasses in your vehicle, the emergency services would appreciate knowing.

- If you do display a warning, it may delay a response in event of an accident.

Get one that is easy to remove.

It is also worth noting, that most insurance companies will require you to inform them that you carry compressed gasses for recreational purposes. If you don't and you have an accident, they will use that fact to get out of paying. Most likely not caring if the compressed gas had any impact on the accident.

As for public transport. Who will know? Consider what you would do, if you had just been to the shops and had bought a Soda Stream or bottle of balloon helium. There is no mention of what pressure the gas is stored at, with regards to an upper or lower limit, it just states "compressed". This could easily refer to deodorant or squirty cream.
I did see mention elsewhere, that carrying anything over 200L of compressed gas, requires a License. I would imagine that this refers to the cylinder capacity and not the expanded volume of what is contained within it.

manufc0

Apr 17, 2009
manchester
so if it's your land or the land owners permission it's legal as long if the paintballs dont leave that space or it's too noisy.

i have a garage in my back yard that takes up all my back yard basically so could i make my own paintball arena and invite friends round to play.
baring in mind i have a huge garage or would there be yet another law stopping me inviting friends to a freindly game. (and if we wore masks aswell for safty reasons)

section 8

doggy dog...
Feb 24, 2006
southampton
Visit site
Ive seen people on youtube who have done it in there backgarden so i dont think its illegal ?
i think this has just become my new favourite phrase!!!! going in the sig!

as for the op... it is your own land (or you parents) which being classed as private means you can fire your paintball gun, air rifle (up to .22 unless you have a valid firearms certificate) and airsoft marker...

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.