Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is Ramping on its way out?

Richiemonk

Jul 24, 2005
Norfolk
PSP have recently released that they are going to set 10.2 as the new bps limit in the pro division this season.

Now not being funny, im sure even the new playas out there can achieve 10 bps buy running the trigger. if it drops any more then it will get to the point of ramping being a dissadvantage as it will be slower than humans can shoot on there own.

This also brings up the question, can companies now justify selling a marker for £1200 when all it has to achieve is 10.2 bps?? A mechanical Spyder with a 12volt revvie can do that!

i think its time companies have a word with them selfs and start looking at the way the game is going and adjust accordingly.

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Not a chance, although being able to walk the trigger at 10+ bps while standing posted is reasonably straight forward it's a lot more of a challenge to do while running. The thing about ramping is it levels the playing field, everyone is shooting the same and leagues don't need to cock about testing trigger pulls and trying to police elaborate electronics. It's much easier to judge ROF with a modern chrono, not to mention that if everyone on the field is shooting 10bps it's bloody obvious to the ear when someone isn't.

People don't pay for high ROF when buying a new shiny marker. What matters to people is reliability, ease of servicing, support, appearance, 'smoothness' of shot and many other personal preference factors. It's been no secret for many years that technology has plateaued but the fact is, as long as there is enough rich people around to buy the latest DM then the companies will keep selling them the new shiny.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
When I was first playing tournies, I used an Alias - I measured it at over 20bps shooting "Semi" and am constantly amazed that I was never pulled for it - for some reason it would pass the "thump the tank" test every time, but bounce like hell over 6bps or so...

Ramping makes it dead simple to keep the rules the same for every team, and eliminates some of the arguments there used to be. And, as said, we aren't paying £1200 for bps - the Ego range took a big turn around the 2010 models with slower bolt speeds and smooth shooting of fragile paint being major selling points...

Reactions: NSKlad and H

Marc0

IronWolf
Feb 18, 2004
Sleeping in Bracknell.
www.p8ntballer.com
Firstly in my opinion ramping is not going anywhere. The RULES on ramping were only brought in to regulate the ramping which was already going on with cheater boards, bouncing triggers and response triggers etc etc.

Secondly and possibly unrelated I feel the rate of fire cap being introduced for 2014 is going the wrong way, Europe should be raising the ROF to 12.5 NOT PSP/US lowering it to 10.2. I know players who have used both over recent years and they ALL say 12.5 is better for PLAYERS.

storm9

Feb 8, 2006
The Netherlands
Like above it's great that markers can be tested so easily now.
Instead of the old days with the bouncy trigger yes or no.

The fire cap will always be regulated by commercial interest

slam

Euro, ICPL and ECPL ref.
Feb 27, 2002
North Yorkshire
in my opinion ramping isn't going any where. Before ramping reffing the illegal guns was a nightmare as in semi you are trying to guess how fast someone could walk the trigger. Of course there were people that tried to cheat with boards and bouncing triggers that had the settings adjusted so that it was obvious that there was something up but if someone had there gun set up to fire 15-20 bps then you were in the realms of trying to catch then activating that mode or catch the bounce in the trigger(which some refs got very good at). With ramping there is no need anything over the rate of fire cap and your gone. It makes the benefit of shooting faster or using shady modes far less than the cons.

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Bit like our cars ? when one pays over £100,000 + for it and can do over 200 x miles an hour ... But still can only do the max of 70 mph same as a cheapy cheap. and we still keep buying them
I too think the 12.4/5 bps is the way to go ? but in Semi only.
The 7 x man at CPPS once a year with uncapped Semi and growing in numbers is proving what we`re saying is really what`s required ?
things have changed with the M5 x Mode really regarded as a begginer Mode, Most players have upped their game to play Race Too, So why are we going backwards in this SPORT ??

Reactions: Biscuit