Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

justice

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
AK spangley as i said punishment too fit crime now this is what we forget,we are judged by our peers a jury they hear all the evidence
now as you have said and others there can be reasons why so these should be heard and then you get the right sentence but once it is give that is what you should serve

Reactions: ..A.Kaye..

..A.Kaye..

Aberdeen Fusion
Oct 4, 2011
Aberdeen
I think the only way to have some sort of solution is to tighten up the justice system and as Biscuit stated; make the punishment fit the crime. But should only be implemented in extreme circumstances where the individual has the intention of commiting the crime for 'fun' or 'personal gain' and has no remorse or guilty conscience. For those who committed a crime to gain gaining basic needs or an addiction to which they cant help, and show signs of remorse should be locked up for a prelonged time and again as Biscuit stated "life is life, 18 months is 18 months" etc which tightens up the system and attempts to deter people away from the ideas of committing crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biscuit

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
AK spangley as i said punishment too fit crime now this is what we forget,we are judged by our peers a jury they hear all the evidence
now as you have said and others there can be reasons why so these should be heard and then you get the right sentence but once it is give that is what you should serve
No one has said anything about people not adhering to a courts ruling, that's not really the issue. It's more about what that ruling and sentencing should be. And as I said in my previous post, I don't believe the criminal justice system should be setting out to 'punish' anyone, I believe the aim should be to reform them into law abiding, functional members of community. Yes a lot of the time this is through what can be viewed as punishments but when a system is only setting out to punish and not reform all it is doing is sating a desire for vengeance on the grieved party's behalf, rather than serving it's higher purpose of improving our communities and society.

*edit* I have just re-read your post and realise you are referring to how quickly sentences can drop, through early release and such, and yes I do agree that this happens altogether to often and in to an extreme manner. However I do also believe in the principle that there should be a system in place that can knowledge and reward inmates who have truly demonstrated a change of character.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
AK that`s my point,so if the local chav gets pissed and and causes trouble yes he get community service but it is in public view and serves the community that he or she as offended etc etc

Reactions: ..A.Kaye..

..A.Kaye..

Aberdeen Fusion
Oct 4, 2011
Aberdeen
No one has said anything about people not adhering to a courts ruling, that's not really the issue. It's more about what that ruling and sentencing should be. And as I said in my previous post, I don't believe the criminal justice system should be setting out to 'punish' anyone, I believe the aim should be to reform them into law abiding, functional members of community. Yes a lot of the time this is through what can be viewed as punishments but when a system is only setting out to punish and not reform all it is doing is sating a desire for vengeance on the grieved party's behalf, rather than serving it's higher purpose of improving our communities and society.
110% agree with you! (y)

Reactions: The Coalthief

..A.Kaye..

Aberdeen Fusion
Oct 4, 2011
Aberdeen
AK that`s my point,so if the local chav gets pissed and and causes trouble yes he get community service but it is in public view and serves the community that he or she as offended etc etc
Yep, how it should be done...putting something back into the community. But again the public criticises the punishment believing its the 'soft option' and not really reforming or attempting to punish the criminal. So the cycle continues...very difficult to come to a 'win win' solution :(

Last edited:

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
spangley this is where comunnity services comes in but as i work with probationers some people take it as a joke ,some want too get on,and some it is a joke why they are there

..A.Kaye..

Aberdeen Fusion
Oct 4, 2011
Aberdeen
spangley this is where comunnity services comes in but as i work with probationers some people take it as a joke ,some want too get on,and some it is a joke why they are there
Some people will just never change, unfortunately alot of the population is made up of those unwilling to change to benefit others...just selfish

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
You're totally right on this point, this does happen quite frequently and serves little deterrent and has little actual impact on the persons character, instead all it does is inconvenience them for some time. If I was to have my way these kind of sentences would comprise of both conventional community service and some method of education on the matters relevant to the crime so they they can learn to impact of their actions onto others. They would also have no set period or time scale and instead would involve periodic reviews by an officer in a sort of case worker roll, who would decide when the sentence was complete based on their observations and assessment of the defendant, almost like parole reviews.

*edit*Thanks biscuit, it is a change to have an actual discussion on the internet haha

Last edited: