Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Magfed as a beginner?

jonwaa

Jun 29, 2016
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself and after not playing any paintball for many years I have bought some magfed markers and had the intention to sell them on but after testing them there is a bit of a itch that needs scraching and intrigue has taken over! So the big question, is it a stupid idea to start on magfed or should I gain some trigger time with a hopper and start simple?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself and after not playing any paintball for many years I have bought some magfed markers and had the intention to sell them on but after testing them there is a bit of a itch that needs scraching and intrigue has taken over! So the big question, is it a stupid idea to start on magfed or should I gain some trigger time with a hopper and start simple?
Play with what you feel like

I can't get on with most magazine designs, I'm fine with the dam, hammer, Tpx etc but with the more magfed specifics I just can't load magazines properly - either too hard and paint breaks or too soft and it doesn't engage properly and releases a paintball before its in place

It also depends on how and where you will play magfed:

at a normal paintball walkon on event you are restricting yourself with limited paint and reloads and will be at a disadvantage against hopper players - I have done that many times with magazines, pistols, pump actions. As long as it doesn't put you off that you're going to lose more encounters unless you have support then it's highly satisfying when you get a kill, or even if you have performed 'less well' you know that you have challenged yourself and played harder

At a restricted paintball event, or in an unusual location then the advantage / disadvantage becomes more balanced

At a strict magfed event then everyone's equal as far as equipment is concerned

if you don't try it you won't know if you like it

Vorner23

Jun 7, 2016
Let's face it, Magfed looks the nutz . But yes you're at a significant disadvantage if you want to play against anyone but other magfeds.

The simple answer is do magfed events. They're a friendly and welcoming bunch .

And of course buy another marker for everything else!

jonwaa

Jun 29, 2016
Thanks, I palyed a bit with hopper markers years ago but it didnt really set my world on fire so never took it any further, it just semed like a spray and hope deal ( this was over 15 years ago) with no tactics just run at each other and hope for the best! Then I had the oppertunity to buy a couple of magfed and thought this looks like fun and I kind of like the idea of having limited ammo and having to make shots count! Saying that I will prob just brick it and unload a whole mag at once.
Oh and I have a .43 pistol and have read on another thread that they are not allowed at some places, whats the reason?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Oh and I have a .43 pistol and have read on another thread that they are not allowed at some places, whats the reason?
Could be a few reasons:
Site / event / trader paint - that way it makes you the odd one out with 43 and not worth their while in sticking it. But you can ask and they may get you some in (especially if it's a traders paint event as they may already deal in 43 and then just need to know you want it so they bring it)

Clear paint events / unusual sites such as army training areas. The licence to use the site will be restrictive on what paint is allowed, and may specify that it is the brand / range that the organisers demonstrated to the owners / mod / dio / landmarc

Variable quality and age of paint - when players can bring paint the non standard sizes can sometimes result in low quality paint (especially 50 calibre when it was newly back as people may have brought the 'toy' 50 calibre paint from gadget shops etc

Also there may have been grumpy occasions with some players wanting to have a higher velocity because on a legal limit basis they have less mass and a lower impact.
"No, we have told you the event is 280fps/250fps, you want to play with a smaller calibre - that's up to you"

I would think dedicated magfed events are more likely to allow 43 as it has been a common choice of magfed players for the more 'realistic' size pistol

jonwaa

Jun 29, 2016
Makes sense, do most sites have a chrono as i dont know what my markers are putting out?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Makes sense, do most sites have a chrono as i dont know what my markers are putting out?
Yes
Any site that runs walkons, events etc will chrono check all own gunners

Sites that are primarily punter sites may not have a chrono to hand. I have even seen such sites that chrono an own gunner by getting them to shoot at a specific tree stump!
Back in the old days I would always bring my own chrono which saved me queuing as long when there used to be only one or two chronos at an event of hundreds of players
(Still have to do the official check but no need to go back & forth adjusting)

jonwaa

Jun 29, 2016
Thanks guys some great info, just need to get to fitness and start rocking the ball!