Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Marker advice

briggsy1uk

Sep 29, 2014
Hi. Just starting out and woukd like advice on ideal marker to start with. Budget probably up to £200 and don't mind 2nd hand either. Whats out there?

nick hare

Jul 23, 2013
Bristol
firstlly welcome, feel at home here.

Depends what type of paintball you're into. i would suggest that a tourney type marker would be best as it would allow you to play all types of games rather than limit yopurself to woodsball etc

For that price second hand is definately the way forward. You can find alot of second hand rails, ions and minis for that price. If you really search and get a bit lucky you might come across a early geo/ego.

Just have a look round the classifieds

Ive said it before to others and ill say it here, dont be fooled into buyimg a marker and chucking money at it for uprgades. get a sorted marker save the cash and spend on paint instead. Most markers sold on this would happliy keep up with the various site restrictions on BPS.

Try and find one with a LCD display as it so much easier to set the marker up rather than counting blinking lights. Dont be put off by anno wear and certainly dont be put off by a marker having had 50,000 balls through it. That just means its properly sorted and should be shooting really smoothly.

Any money saved buying a marker put towards paint or a really good mask. There is no substitute for a good mask - ive tried :)

Reactions: Bolter

briggsy1uk

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for reply. Tried a friends mini last week and was quite impressed, then he let me have a go of his ego 9 and was very impressed.do you know if ego 8 had lcd display (seen a few on the classified s)

renie

Mar 2, 2008
ego 08s do have the lcd screen but what you do have to be aware is spare parts for some older markers are hard to find,
don't let the LED board put you off there really easy to use, a second hand etek or etha would be a perfect start

nick hare

Jul 23, 2013
Bristol
Completely agree with renie although the LCD display isn't all tht it just makes it easier.

Having said that my first marker an ion didn't have a display and I love it. I never liked the mini as I have large hands and am tall so it just doesn't feel right.

I would recommend u try as many as possible. Go to any walkon day and I'm sure there'll be someone that will let you try their markers.

Oct 4, 2014
U should go for second hand equipment, as u will spend half as much and get twice the reliability and quality. Also if u decide that the sport is not for u, u can sell ur equipment and get back most of what u paid for it.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
ego 08s do have the lcd screen but what you do have to be aware is spare parts for some older markers are hard to find,
don't let the LED board put you off there really easy to use, a second hand etek or etha would be a perfect start
Also, planet no longer service the 08 - but do service the 09 onwards.

briggsy1uk

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the comments,greatly appreciated. Think I may be veering towards a 2nd hand etha as they seem to have good feedback and shouldn't break the bank. Also look quite good with emc kit fitted

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the comments,greatly appreciated. Think I may be veering towards a 2nd hand etha as they seem to have good feedback and shouldn't break the bank. Also look quite good with emc kit fitted
You will love it. To me the "expensive" markers, or some people call them "high end" still just shoot 10.5bps just as well as the budget version of the same gun. The differences depend on the manufacturer but include millions of settings compared to a few basic settings (I see it as a million ways to f*ck it up), slightly lighter, slightly more garish colours, it may talk to you, and be slightly easier to take apart.

Basically, the "budget versions" are still excellent markers. There is no real need to buy the high end guns, if you dont want to.

Also, when you buy a gun, dont be tricked into thinking some carbon bolt, or visible eyes, or some swanky board is going to "upgrade" your gun in any way. If it doesnt work right, it needs cleaning/fixing, not upgrading. Better to spend your money on playing in my opinion :)

So in this instance an etek or an etha would serve you well for a good few years if you wanted it to.

Reactions: nick hare