Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Marker Board with bluetooth for programming via smartphone app

~Solo~

Sep 13, 2007
Kent
Still can't see any real benfit, and sure i will be too much hassle for organisers/ marshalls to monitor and enforce
Really? Imagine if the victorians had just said " you know what guys, everything's just perfect as it is, there's no need to innovate anymore, don't develop any new technology. It'll be too much hassle"

Thanks for your negativity - really helps the thread.

Prime

Nov 8, 2012
Awesome idea!
Even if you limit it to a USB lead to a tablet so settings can't be adjusted during play.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Not negative.. Just being realistic and practical

There have been plenty of 'game changing' innovations, which fell well short of expectations.

50cal for example

Gazeddy

Jun 16, 2013
seems a good idea but bluetooth isnt the best. for me it would need to be wired. not so much for stopping the changes on field its just bluetooth is expensive and unreliable

skitto2013

Morning Wood
May 26, 2013
Stoke-On-Trent
Loving this idea. nothing worse than fiddling with tools and screws to adjust settings. but i do agree it would add a hefty price to markers so low level ones probably wouldnt have it fitted, which would be a shame.

F3Z

Mar 17, 2003
Bristol, UK
To be honest what ever you do in board design, if somebody want's to cheat they can. It's been getting increasingly harder but the same work around have always existed. This wireless method gives you real time monitoring of all the settings at any time but there's nothing say you can't create a board the reports false settings over the wireless signal.

pocoyo

Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2006
north west
Already being done.
Have a look at the Macdev Clone GTI.

"The new GTi electronics system features a brand new high performance microprocessor, and ram chips to handle the new advanced sensing system exclusive to the Clone GTi (patent pending). The GTi will have an on board speaker for tones, and a full colour OLED for graphics, both of which will be user adjustable. Bluetooth expansion and on board USB will give a range of communication options, which combined with free rolling firmware updates will ensure that your MacDev marker is always ahead of the game."

~Solo~

Sep 13, 2007
Kent
Not sure that Bluetooth is really that expensive. I bought a USB Bluetooth radio for a desktop PC for a couple of quid. From a reliability point of view the availability of BT headsets and the adoption by the automotive industry for music streaming proves that it works well enough.

Is the Macdev Bluetooth for programming or just the updating of firmware?

IPhones don't have NFC yet and only a few Samsungs do so the preferred would probably be wireless or BT.