Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Marker Design Characteristics

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
So, I'm one step above terminal boredom at work, and have very little to do between renders (averaging 3 hours each).
With this in mind and the fact that I have access to a CNC mill downstairs, I thought I'd try my hand at designing and making at least a prototype marker.

So, anyone got any ideas as to what it should be?
I'm torn between a proper lightweight tourney marker or a bullpup'd scenario marker. Any suggestions and/or ideas regarding design characteristics (i.e. weight, efficiency, acceleration profiles, gas flows, etc) would be nice.

So... thoughts?

renie

Mar 2, 2008
poppets are the easiest to make in my opinion as there's less to think about on the operation, spools take a bit more thought due to the way they work (bolt stick, volume etc etc) Patents are the biggest issue ;)

emisnug

Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
How about custom bodies for older Egos eg; 11.
And empire axe also ;)...
I'm tempted to stay away from custom bodies, especially for Axes - that's Simon's (Inception Designs) domain and I hugely respect that guy, so don't want to crash his party.

@renie Patents will probably indeed be an issue, but thinking at the moment is veering towards a poppet. I've tinkered with a few spool designs in the past, and the tolerances are only as good as your machinist. Seeing as that's me, spools will probably be an issue.

renie

Mar 2, 2008
I am also a cnc machinest just don't get enough time to do my own stuff :(
Spools are easier to machine as you can get them out of round bar and pop them on a 4th axis for the milling etc so no real need for jigs etc, you only need a decent mandrel setup :)
even better if the lathe has live tooling
Or you have a 7axis twin turret multimill :)

renie

Mar 2, 2008
I've drawn up loads of designs but just haven't the time to machine them :(

emisnug

Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
We've got a Haas V-2TR if I recall correctly. Might be a VF-2TR. Either way, it's one of Haas' big ass 5 axis ones with a fairly large table. Would love to know how to program it properly - 100% of everything I know about CNC machining is book taught and the occasional error when I had some spare time/money for materials.

I did do a test run of sorts with a spool engine a couple years back with the intention of having a very low pressure spool. Always had an issue with O ring tolerances and could never quite work out the best method of doing them. Zdspb has helped with that a lot though.

renie

Mar 2, 2008
Yeah getting orings right is a bit tricky but there are some good online calculators that help ;)
Programming not a problem once you learn the software tbh.
I'm on my 4th different software now lol.
Delcam power mill is really popular but over completed for simple stuff, my favourite is onecnc does everything u need and far less complicated,
It hasn't got as many tool path strategies etc but still can produce high quality cnc work I really rate it.