Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Marker, old vs new

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Hey guys,

I have been wondering of late as I am contemplating a "new" marker. At what point is a new(ish) lower end marker better than an older high end marker?

To explain more what I am trying to understand, a 2nd hand Etha is around £200 in good condition. But what is its equivalent in the Ego range? Is an 05 Ego a better purchase? I have seen 08 Ego's go in the £200 mark.

But more generally, how would you compare markers over the years and across the manufacturers range?

If that all makes sense...

movingcanvass

couldn't stay away!
Jan 8, 2009
nottingham
Lower end markers follow suit of previous high end markers, sometimes with a difference in something such as the gripframe material or slightly more naff parts. I've always been a fan of a older higher end marker because at some point they were the flagship marker. Where as the low end markers have not nor never will be.
But to negate everything I've just said go for the marker with the features you need/want for the cheapest price, be it old or new

alexd

http://essexaces.co.uk
Feb 17, 2006
Essex
www.facebook.com
It makes absolute sense...

I presume before you are buying this you have got a decent set of goggles! Plus have a loader and air system presuming you have that then this is my advice

If you have approx £200, then the Etha is a better choice than a Ego 05 for one reason. Spare parts for an Ego 05 is increasingly difficult to find and are not officially supported by PE for maintenance given the spare restrictions. So despite PE markers being robust you want to know that you have that backup from PE. I think Ego 08 is just about supported, but cant be long before they are not (given their age etc)

If you increase your budget in £50 increments it will bring other high end markers into your option list. But to do that you need to calculate if that is for you (will you play regularly)

Personally I prefer PE, for a variety of reasons and would be considered brand loyal. Others are passionate about other manufacturers or markers, but I think PE offer great products and top notch backup, hence my bias!

One final thought is that it's no good spendiing all your money on kit and then shoot poor paint... using better paint and spending less on your kit will make you far happier than doing the inverse!

Last edited:

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Thanks guys and Alexd, thats along the lines of what I have been wondering. I found the PE wiki was very helpful in explain what parts from the Ego ended up in which Etek ect.
The question was aimed to be generic rather than "Gun A vs Gun B" to aid in how to make the decision rather than asking someone to make a decision for me.

Time will have to tell tho, I am going to NvS which will be my first game of PB in 9 years. Should it go as I expect I will get back into it like I did before (Walk-ons for the most part) and will look at a nice marker (Think I am settled on an Ego 11). It will be a MASSIVE upgrade on my current marker, a low end marker from 10 years ago that was never sold in the UK... It still works well enough to shoot paint and have fun, but it could be better.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Just to throw a spanner in the works, you could always put up a wanted ad and see what you get offered for your budget.

There is, or was, a lovely DM12 being offered I think for £280 not too long ago.

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
Thats the plan Dusty, I am VERY tempted to do it before NvS (and will if my maker is poked, tank is being tested this week and can test the marker afterwards).
But £300-£450 is a lot of cash to throw into the sport after having to kit myself out with everything else over the last few weeks (NvS was a last minute decision).

As for a DM, never shot one. I plan to throw some paint down the range at NvS to test out the markers from different manufacturers as I have only shot a limited selection in the past. So this should give me an idea of what a DM feels like to hold, and shoot.

Fizzgig78

The Cartel
May 17, 2011
London
www.facebook.com
There was indeed a DM12 for £280 including postage and PayPal fees, and got to say they are beautiful to shoot and very light, smooth and quiet and only 2 years older than the current model, sadly I use the past tense as with all good offers they don't hang around.
I have never owned a new marker till this year (GSL :) ) and like with new cars they loose value quickly depending on what it is and current popularity so you can get some real bargains, just shop safe and always pay the Paypal fees ;)

Reactions: Gaz #68

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
I saw a 2nd DM12 recently but am controlling myself for now.. As for PayPal fees, I always pay them. Ever since my first purchase on here I have paid the fees.

I honestly don't see myself ever getting a new marker, when a year or 2 old one is so much cheaper. In my digging I was looking at the ego 10 until I realised how much better the 11 is.