Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Maths Nerds......

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
16% was correct. That was a question from entrance exams into university to study business.

Here is another one.

We have two clocks. One runs slow 2 minutes in an hour and the other runs fast 2 minutes in an hour. They start at the same time when it is 12 o'clock. What time do they show when they next time show the same time?
3 oclock? every hour the gap reduces by 4 minutes, so would take 15 hours to reduce that gap by 60 minutes, making it the same time again, and 15 hours later should be 3 oclock.

P.S. i stupidly sat writing out every hour until i actually noticed the pattern.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
P.S. i stupidly sat writing out every hour until i actually noticed the pattern.
The science of observation and the science of maths
Observation gathers the information
Maths forms a theory
Repetition and observation proves the theory

(Like the plum answer, in maths we assume there are constants such as the sugar, practical experiments and analysis would prove the answer/theory, or gather more information to refine)

The mathematician deals in facts, a scientist does not believe in facts

ToniH

May 26, 2014
Finland
3 oclock? every hour the gap reduces by 4 minutes, so would take 15 hours to reduce that gap by 60 minutes, making it the same time again, and 15 hours later should be 3 oclock.

I hate you, You make it sound so simple. We had a big debate if the result was 6 or 3.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I hate you, You make it sound so simple. We had a big debate if the result was 6 or 3.
Well in between calls in work i sat writing out the time on both clocks each hour for about 12 hours, until the pattern clicked. If i wrote it down another few times i would've solved it through nothing other than having too much time on my hands :p

Reactions: Reptile Smile

Llexas

Jun 1, 2012
Vilnius, LTU
Last one was for speed... (I've just skipped all thread)
Now about two clocks...
It will take 15 hours to match minute hands in position 6, and it will take 6 cycles of that to mach hour hands at 6. So 90 hours will pass to match BOTH hour and minute hands again. A little bit of calculations and answer is 6 o'clock.
Let's assume it's Monday 12 AM, so hands will match each other in Friday 6 AM.
Or am I wrong?
OOPS! Sorry I'm wrong. I didn't mentioned that after 15 hours will pass, each hour hand will move only half of hour respectively to that is this clock "speeding" or "slow"... so it will take 180 hours. And it will be 12 PM next Monday.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2014
That is a trick question, since we dont know whether the distance you ran is the same on the way out to the distance which is the way back in

Llexas

Jun 1, 2012
Vilnius, LTU
But if you would look into the velocity graph you would still se him moving somewhere
Depends on period of time your'e oserving the object. If you do first point exactly on start moment and second time you'll fix object after some time but on same spot- virtualy it's not moving.