Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

My advice for learning to shoot off-handed...

z_mann_z

Nov 11, 2001
Southeast
Visit site
I am one of few left handed players out there. Ask my team what hand I shoot with though, and they'll say either. This is because I try to do everything right handed. Eating, writing, opening doors, everything. I have found that after doing alot of things right handed, I have increased coordination alot. With this ability, I can do anything right handed or lefthanded. This makes it feel more natural to shoot with my off hand because it is getting "experience". Another obstacle to over come with shooting off-handed is your eyes. Every has a dominant eye. It usually coincides with your dominant hand, meaning righties usually have right hand- right eye dominance, and vice-versa. When shooting off handed, It will feel natural to try to look out the bunker with your dom. eye even though you are using the opposite hand. This makes you reveal alot more of your head which gives me alot more hard plastic and skull to score a break on. The only treatment I have found for this is covering up your dominant eye with something in your mask and using your wweak eye to aim with for both hands. Every day, I will gas up, put a block over my dominant eye, and shoot fifty rounds with my normal hand and fifty with my off hand at different targets in my yard. I don't know about every one else, but I target shoot every day with my main marker, so I know where it shoots in different situations. This just makes me more accurate. Hope everyones learns a little from this and thanks for reading! Email me if you think I write well, as I am trying to get a job writing for a magazine. Happy paintballing!

JustBeenBunkered

Nov 27, 2001
Visit site
Yeah, like when I picked up the bass guitar, I realized that I had to learn playing righty if I wanted to be successful :( but I also shoot ambidextrously, and I'd have to say that I could very well be more comfortable shooting right handed than left handed, at this point, since I practice it a lot. Oh yeah BTW I'm left handed :)

Brokemelon

Permanent Newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Los Angeles
I've tried to get more used to shooting with my left hand while sighting with my less dominant eye while target shooting at home, but my accuracy suffers and even with practice I can't get my left trigger finger to cycle more than 3 or 4 bps, about half of what I can do with my right. I haven't been trying for that long though, and hope to improve as it seems to be a valuable skill. You have posted some excellent ideas that I hope will aid me in developing my technique.

Oh, and your writing skills are good. Very clear and concise.

Paul (fusionUK)

Need Nickname?!?!?!
Jul 9, 2001
Manchester UK
www.planettribes.com
Originally posted by TheRo0sTer
I read an article on P8ntballer once where the guy said he watched a footie match and shot David Beckem every time he was on the screen with his off hand! Tried it with a movie and it surely helps getting things motivated!
Pain in the butt wiping all the paint of the TV though! :D:D:D:D:D

Gretik

Below Green, Yellow maybe
Oct 26, 2001
Derbyshire
Visit site
THe only thing...

I have ever seen that my short sightedness gives me is the fact I have no particular dominant eye. THey are both crap. This does however make it slightly easier to shoot with my left hand, and since I had an accident a couple years ago which knobbled my hand for about half a yaer completely and made it difficult to do anything with for a further six months i can shoot off hand quite well. It ain't worth it though, a three inch scar on your wrist and glasses for life from birth...