Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New size paintballs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech

Jul 19, 2006
Airsoft bb's are fired about 300 fps. So I would see no reason for us to change the velocities.
Airsoft fps varies depending on the fire mode, semi or auto.

Auto AEG's are regularly capped at 360 fps but single shot AEG's can go up to the fast side of 460 fps, all of this despite the UK saying that 320 is the limit!

.50 used to be the norm but there were a few bouncing issues and I heard it was a tad more painful.

Airsoft fps varies depending on the fire mode, semi or auto.

Auto AEG's are regularly capped at 360 fps but single shot AEG's can go up to the fast side of 460 fps, all of this despite the UK saying that 320 is the limit!

.50 used to be the norm but there were a few bouncing issues and I heard it was a tad more painful.
But the upper limit is measured in energy. 12 ft/lbs for a rifle, 6 for a pistol.

I imagine a plastic BB at 360fps is nowhere near the limit.

Fire a paintball at that velocity and it will have more than twice as much energy.

So, if you reduce the weight of the ball you can increase the velocity.

Quick approximation of the volume puts a .68cal at 2.5 times the mass of a .5 cal. To get the same muzzle energy your 300fps can increase to 480fps.:eek:

Either my maths is wrong or its gonna sting!

jumbaleo

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Much much easier and cheaper than that. Only the rollers need to be changed and a number of paint producers have already purchased new rollers.

I have to say if this is true (and for the life of me I can't see why) then players are going to have to buy new guns (for the reduced breach size etc) & new barrels etc..

Why on earth in the time of a global recession would an industry standard be changed which will only result in the increased cost to the everyday player???

I think this is all a pathetic wind-up, but if its for real then I can see that a lot of people are going to get out of the game.

Looking at the marking ability of the ball, its clear that it would be harder to see a break, not only that, but the velocity would have to be cranked up substantially to make it effective at breaking over the length of a paintball field, and further for woods ballers.

The benefit would be a straighter trajectory with the increase in speed (as long as it stayed at 12'Lbs or less). But then close in muggings could become a serious safety hazard, which could even require the mandatory use of neck guards and a possible re-design and therefore expense of new protective masks.

If the industry is considering this then they need a f**king good reason to do so and it will be on there heads in paintball goes down the pan because of a ridiculous increase in equipment cost to the everyday player.

Someone is taking the piss!

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
You really don't want that to happen then??

Marking ability will be quite good actually, I have had a rattle with the new .43 calibre kingman training rounds and they are plenty visible.

As for new equipment, I'm certain some boffins somewhere can come up with a simple sleeve/insert or something for each marker breech to reduce the size.

Everything changes, everything evolves. There was an uproar when moving from pump to semi, then semi mech to electro markers...

Mactoshdog

LIKES RED
Oct 12, 2008
North East, Sunderland
well, even if the major brands did change to .5, ill bet you anything in the world, some other compay would still make .68, as there would still be a missive damand for them. it realy would make no sens for any company to switch.
for all i care it could be nike, as long as there .68 ill be buying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.