Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Newbie Question

JoolsHouston

Mar 24, 2015
I have played paintball frequently 2 years ago and now I have started to pick it back up again. The predicament I am in is the fact that I am taking a liking to speedball and I have a tippmann alpha black. I want to know weather I should sell the tippmann and get a 2nd hand gun like a slg or a azodin blitz or do up alpha black as I do not know if speedball is popular in the UK. Any feedback would be great.

benepv

Aug 13, 2011
UK
I was in the same situation as you not too long ago. I had an alpha black but I wanted to get a tourny marker so instead of selling my alpha black I bought an SLG too. I now have both markers. So there's no need to sell your Tippmann just save up for an SLG. I got mine for £40.

Also, consider the cost of tournament paintball. If you can barely afford to get yourself a second hand SLG or something similar, then your probably not going to be able to afford the costs of entering and playing in a tournament. You'll have to pay the entry fee, travel costs, food and also the paintballs. All of which cost hundreds.

JoolsHouston

Mar 24, 2015
I was in the same situation as you not too long ago. I had an alpha black but I wanted to get a tourny marker so instead of selling my alpha black I bought an SLG too. I now have both markers. So there's no need to sell your Tippmann just save up for an SLG. I got mine for £40.

Also, consider the cost of tournament paintball. If you can barely afford to get yourself a second hand SLG or something similar, then your probably not going to be able to afford the costs of entering and playing in a tournament. You'll have to pay the entry fee, travel costs, food and also the paintballs. All of which cost hundreds.
I haven't really taken anything else apart from the tourny marker cost into account but I think I will be able to sustain myself with both guns if you can pick an slg up for that cheap. Also I have just recently moved back to the UK permanently so could you direct me to where I could play/train or regularly in Sheffield?

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
if you want to be able to play a tournament game you need a gun with the correct millennium series firing mode. You can pick up an old planet eclipse ego/etek or proto slg which should do the job, but guns that old can be in various states of disrepair and there can be a distinct lack of parts for guns that old.
you have urban paintball in retford which has open training and is probably the closest to sheffield.

one bit of advice is that no matter what new gun you get, if its a tournament style marker it will be superior to the tippmann in every way (other than aesthetics if you like the milsim look) so its probably not worth keeping both guns, I'd sell the tippmann to fund your next marker.

JoolsHouston

Mar 24, 2015
if you want to be able to play a tournament game you need a gun with the correct millennium series firing mode. You can pick up an old planet eclipse ego/etek or proto slg which should do the job, but guns that old can be in various states of disrepair and there can be a distinct lack of parts for guns that old.
you have urban paintball in retford which has open training and is probably the closest to sheffield.

one bit of advice is that no matter what new gun you get, if its a tournament style marker it will be superior to the tippmann in every way (other than aesthetics if you like the milsim look) so its probably not worth keeping both guns, I'd sell the tippmann to fund your next marker.
I am finding it near impossible to sell my tippmann at the moment as I do not know whether or not you can post it without a box because if would look a bit dodgy and parcel being delivered in the shape of a m16 and no one seems interested in it.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
i would at least package it in a cardboard box stuffed with something to pad it e.g. polystyrene or newspaper. Once you have contributed enough to various conversations on this forum you can attempt to sell it in the classifieds. Its not a priority though, not the end of the world if you can't sell it. could even loan it out to friends to go play for a day, encourage them in to the sport too!

Speedball is very popular in the UK, I'd wager there's about 150 active teams all over the country so you should be able to fit in somewhere, and if there's no team local with space for new players you can always try starting your own if you like a challenge.

JoolsHouston

Mar 24, 2015
i would at least package it in a cardboard box stuffed with something to pad it e.g. polystyrene or newspaper. Once you have contributed enough to various conversations on this forum you can attempt to sell it in the classifieds. Its not a priority though, not the end of the world if you can't sell it. could even loan it out to friends to go play for a day, encourage them in to the sport too!

Speedball is very popular in the UK, I'd wager there's about 150 active teams all over the country so you should be able to fit in somewhere, and if there's no team local with space for new players you can always try starting your own if you like a challenge.
I am sure Sheffield have a team as it is a large city, I am determined to get into tourny paintball because I have wanted to do ever since I was 10. I can try get some mates to loan the gun to do which should help and I will put some adds up at the local fields.