Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Noob in a budget (same old same old)

Reptile Smile

Aug 14, 2014
Brizzle
Hi all,

Back in paintball after a 7 year break. When I stopped playing, I had two gats - an Ion (loved it) and an Ego (admired it but never really fell in love with it). I know that this isn't received wisdom... Apols.

Awakening from my cryogenic sleep, as I recently have done, I really need to get completely tourney set up as cheaply as poss, and therefore it will be about what comes up in classifieds at the right time at the right price. That said, in the meantime (in terms of getting my post count to 20!), it would be silly to not try and research a little more.

Ultimately, to be honest, I'll play with anything that's half-decent, but I always enjoyed the Ion, and small, slim-bodied guns always suited me well. It seems that Mini's are as cheap as chips (like, around £125) though don't seem to come up that often. Any thoughts about them? Any good? Unreliable? Why so cheap?

If not that, then what else might be cheap (I suppose I'm thinking about £150 second hand as being cheap)? Proto rails? My thinking is to get up and running and then whatever I end up with can either be sold on, or kept in the bag as a spare...

Any advice is always gratefully received - and I know the answer is to get to a field and play with a few/hold a few, but it's also at the moment about getting a setup together such that I can get to a field in the first place.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and advice.

CameronS

Sep 30, 2013
Kent
Avoid proto rails, they are nothing but a pain in the butt ! i would hold out for a mini, there is a few around at the moment, or if you can stretch to £200 pick up an Etha or an Etek!

Reactions: Reptile Smile

Reptile Smile

Aug 14, 2014
Brizzle
Great to know - thanks for the heads up. Am surprised by the Rail - I always thought of proto as a really reputable company..?

reaperuk91

Mar 11, 2012
durham
alot of minis tend to crop up from 120-180 even some next to new ones. axes have seen at 230. only problem is empire can be inconsistent in the sense that they are either fantastic or if unlucky can be a sod however they are very cheap to get parts and very very easy to work on and maintain. for the money of a mini its prob the best gun to go for if you can get a cheap good condition one. reasonably accurate, good efficiency, and light. keep up with other more expensive markers and for me never chopped a ball. you wouldnt be dissapointed with one.

Reactions: Reptile Smile

Llexas

Jun 1, 2012
Vilnius, LTU
Everything is fine with Rail. I'm using 07PMR. Looking now for Reflex 11-13 or even same with UL frame. Rail gives just everything you need to play. Step forward- DM's, MakDev's. You see I'm bit of spooly guy.

Ashfire

Sep 3, 2014
is the axe a worthy upgrade over the mini. Seen one at a good price but unsure as to whether or not i want to go for one. if the mini is cheaper.

shaunyo

Aug 20, 2014
Tamworth
Nothing wrong with the Rail mate and I'm not just saying that because I have one for sale ;). Honestly though I have never had a single issue with the Rail, as long as you look after it (clean the bolt and lube O-rings) then it should be fine, other than that it is a really nice Marker to shoot, a really smooth shot like you would expect from a Spooly