Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Noob over hear!!

ThickerMonkey

Nov 6, 2014
Evening guys and gals,

I'm very new to PB and even newer to the forum! Must say it seems to be a very nice set up and through reading some of the posts, very knowledgeable and friendly!

Both my mrs and I played last weekend and are totally hooked!

I know a lad through work who plays a fair bit of woodsball, we've been invited to join their small team!

Both the mrs and I are looking at getting the tippmann Sierra one ultimate package as we both like the style of marker, however, the team we are potentially joining all have full autos so the Sierra package will struggle to keep up, what are ppl's suggestions for a full auto reasonably priced marker?

We have both decided on dye i4's, can anyone suggest which marker/air package to go for in the £300 range?

Thanks in advance
J

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I would do plenty of research before buying a marker. just because you are playing in the woods does not mean you MUST have a "Woodsball" style gun. IMHO, the reason these guns are popular for the woods is purely because they look like a "real" gun and playing in the woods masks their inherent disadvantages. A marker designed purely around shooting paintballs will be a better coice in the long run.

I wrote a guide to the different types of marker a while ago which may help - http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/marker-buying-guide-for-newbies.154589/

Reactions: Bolter

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Evening guys and gals,

I'm very new to PB and even newer to the forum! Must say it seems to be a very nice set up and through reading some of the posts, very knowledgeable and friendly!

I know a lad through work who plays a fair bit of woodsball, we've been invited to join their small team!

Both the mrs and I are looking at getting the tippmann Sierra one ultimate package as we both like the style of marker, however, the team we are potentially joining all have full autos so the Sierra package will struggle to keep up, what are ppl's suggestions for a full auto reasonably priced marker?

We have both decided on dye i4's, can anyone suggest which marker/air package to go for in the £300 range?

Thanks in advance
J
Hi mate welcome to the forum :)

biggest hint i can give is type in a few key words from any question you have in the search bar and you'll probably find people have asked the same questions before, will give you some more info and save you waiting on a response.

that buying guide kevin posted is a great starting point and well worth a read. If a realistic looking gun is really what you want then by all means go for something from tippmann/BT. However if you want performance then you will want a tournament style marker from companies like planet eclipse/proto/dye/empire/invert.

If you want to keep the cost down, personal recommendations would be something second hand, best bang for buck i'd say is planet eclipse etha, followed by a cheap invert mini. That should leave enough cash to get a decent hopper like a halo/scion or go for something better like an empire z2/dye rotor/virtue spire. and finally a second hand air tank which is 68ci in size and 4500psi pressure, or a 48ci in size for the missus if she is quite a bit smaller.

should be easily achievable for £300 each doing that :)

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Evening guys and gals,

Thanks in advance
J
Welcome! (y) You will get great impartial advice on these forums as you can see above! Any problems or issues, dont be afraid to shoot me a PM.

ThickerMonkey

Nov 6, 2014
Hey guys,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and swift replies! I must confess I read that write up Kevin, it was awesome but I can't tell if certain guns are semi or fully auto from their descriptions!
I think both the mrs and I would benefit from a tourney style gun! She's very slight so the lesser weight would serve her well and I'm 6'2" and 16 stone so a fairly big/slow moving target! I quite like the etek 4, can anyone give me a lehmans terms rundown please

Regards
J + Annie

P.S I'm not being lazy, but there is a hell of a lot of tech speak and jargon, even on the websites. I literally know less than nothing. Sorry

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
No marker should be full auto.

The faster firing markers are essentially semi auto, with a "ramping mode" which will kick in when the user hits a certain rate of fire. The ramp mode will then take the gun to the maximum allowed game limit (normally around 10 balls per second) as long as you keep up the trigger pulling.

Semi auto is defined as one ball discharged per trigger pull.

Full auto is defined as the gun will continually fire if you hold down the trigger. This is NOT allowed. Ive never seen it allowed in a game, and only as a fun thing on a range.

Semi auto can be fast though, this is a video I did in 2008 semi auto Invert Mini (now called an Empire Mini)

Reactions: ThickerMonkey

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
What you will be looking for more is mechanical vs electronic

The Sierra is a mechanical blow back
It all works with the trigger releasing a sear that holds back the bolt. Then everything runs on springs and air pressure. When you shoot it is restricted by physics and the movement of some big chunky parts
You have to physically move the trigger a minimum distance to release the sear

Electronic guns have a micro switch operated by the trigger. You just have to move the distance to click and release the switch
You can get electronic upgrades to mechanical guns, but these effectively just upgrade the trigger to a switch. You are still restricted to the physics of the moving parts
Dedicated electronic guns, particularly the speedwell style, are also ergonomicaly designed and optimised for paintball. There are less & lighter moving parts; air also replaces springs, it can cycle quicker

Full auto on either mean the trigger is held in and the gun just cycles and continually shoots
This isn't allowed and has safety issues

Semi auto requires you to keep pulling the trigger. The rate of fire achievable is a combination of how quick you move the trigger, it cycles and when the next ball is in the breach

Electronic guns have numerous modes, but these have history in mechanical guns
Eg in theory you can only shoot one ball per pull with semi, but 'bounce' could operate the sear more than once per pull - hence bounce mode

In elecrtronics you are operating a switch. With a carefully adjusted trigger you can click the switch at great speeds, add a mode and the programming will take over - eg as long as you pull the trigger within a time frame the gun will continue to shoot, 'ramping' - once you have achieved a rate of fire the mode will continue as long as you keep pulling the trigger even if you slow

Your best option is always to look around and see what feels good for you. Check out what the rest of the guys have

Reactions: ThickerMonkey