Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Now that France is over...

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
OK...Toulouse is over and I missed it (sob,sob).
I was really hoping I'd be able to go, so I could compare what I've heard to be the most superb of the most superb events to what I've seen over here in the states.
I know Pete's views on this subject, but I'd like to have some of you other blokes' and ladies' thoughts...so can you tell me, if you have been both stateside AND to Euro events, which is better? Why? Where does one or the other need to really work to get up to par with the other???

Also, since Chicago was arguably one of the best if not THE best NPPL event ever (at least, in my opinion, the best I'VE ever been to) all things considered, I'd be especially interested to hear the thoughts on this from those of you that were in Chicago AND Toulouse, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

;)

Thanks in advance, and lotsa love as always...

Justin Owen
Saberwolves

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Hey Justin,

Have you read my review on warpig of Toulouse? That gives my views pretty much on Toulouse.

Why was it better than the states? (I didn't go to Chicago) It just seemed better organised than the events I have attended in the USA, better atmosphere, ran on time or in advance, less bickering and fighting and wild accusations. Safer.... Better presented to the local community...

I guess read my report and then relate that to what you thought of Chicago.

But I do hear the NPPL is on the up so I hope to see more NPPL events this year and next.

manike

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Hey Nick, can I suggest another difference - Chicago made a profit and Toulouse didn't?

I'm not meaning to sound glib, and I visited neither tournament, but there sounds a big gap in the old expenditure. Laurent is looking to the future, cripes we need a few visionaries, and I guess he's worth a few bob as well, but it's touch and go if this event will mean diddly-squat. If spectator-paintball is sutainable then he'll take a large amount of credit (and cash) for waking people up, if paintball falls short then it could be an expensive exercise.

What I think is interesting is if others will (or can afford to) take up the challenge. When's the start of the World Series? This time next year?

If Niall's still awake - I guess it is too late to react for Campaign, although it sounds like you've pulled off a blinder anyway, but what lessons did you learn in Toulouse?

Last thing, I'm glad to see Bully's a board member now, and perhaps the UKPSF should consider spending 100% of their time working with the next two/three big events in the uk to popularise them through the press, regional tv and those people local to the event. Face it, if only a few hundred paintballers had spectated Toulouse, I wouldn't be writing this and everyone would be the better for it.

Is all that bollocks?

Cuma

Jul 11, 2001
Istanbul
turkishtigers.com
as we have been to both ends of the world tourneys, I would like to share it too. being there for the last toulouse legs, twice to germany ,once to mayhem and once to orlando 2000, there are many differences even between the millennium legs. I know last years orlando waas extreme, there are some things that makes the difference of toulouse which I have not even saw these differences in other millennium legs.

Firstly, toulouse gives a big effort for the spectators to watch the event comfortably and make sure the spectators like the sport. the tv cameras was on the field there were pon pon girls (cheer leaders as many say) music and etc.

I think Lauren the organizer saw the future of our sport, fun of the game... the first year we have been there in 1999, there were few spectators in the stadium which this year the stadium was full and even on the opposite site there were over 1000 people watching the finals.

rain and storm had no effect as well which we see in mayhem in 2000 it was Mud Masters!!! this proves that with sufficent employees and good organization, nothing can spill the fun!!!

the trade shows were good not as good as the orlando which I can understand this is europe and the other one U.S and there are 4 million of people playing this game.

the marshalling was excellent, not once I have seen an arguement or so, it is getting better and better every year.

there were many varieties such as two on twos and facefull magazine opening which gave a taste to the event. also the french girls are soooo pretty!!!

one thing I complain, is about the scoreboard. at the end of first day of prelims, all the teams have waited for the results for about an hour. I have a tiny suggestion for the guys if they accept:

when you write down the results on the white board, simultaneously write them down to your laptops. use the Microsoft Excel, then sort the teams by group (pro, amateur, novice) and then by their points and bam! you have the ranking and as well as the schedule of the next day. then use a projector that is linked to the laptop and show it on the whiteboard...I can volunteerly make a program on this subject if the organizers do not have time. just a tiny suggestion I already said.

nothing else to say, everthing was excellent although we played like donkeys to be honest... last year we came 6th in Amateur class, this year I could not even dare to look at the results table!! something went wrong, which can happen of course we will do our best next time for sure!!!!

Anyway, best luck to y'all and take care!!

PS: Robbo, since you do not want to come to Turkey because of the midnight express, why don't you be our guest, we'll show you around see some beautiful girls and in exchange you train us for two weeks!!! :) :) ;)

Can Papuccuoglu

Team Turkish Tigers

Justin,

I would just like to say that I love your articles in PGI and I look forward to sharing page and field space with you in the future.

With regards to Toulouse, sadly Flashpoint couldn't make it for various reason explained in next month's PGI, but next year...

However, my two cents worth is this: for all the good will in the world, Paintball will always struggle as a televised sport for obvious reasons - no ball to follow as in football/tennis, the difference between Pros and ams being difficult to spot to the uninitiated etc. - but kudos to Laurent for trying anyhow.

Ain't it about time the visionaries at PGI ran a tournament somewhere cool like Hawaii, or on the side of a volcano, or somewhere totally rad?

Peace out.

TJ

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
However, my two cents worth is this: for all the good will in the world, Paintball will always struggle as a televised sport for obvious reasons - no ball to follow as in football/tennis, the difference between Pros and ams being difficult to spot to the uninitiated etc. - but kudos to Laurent for trying anyhow.
Exactly the point I was making with many in Toulouse.

I know diablo tried a different format before to give the game more focus and 'lenght'. I heard it worked well but have heard nothing since. Anyone know any more about it?

I've been thinking about this quite a lot and believe it may need to be done to make the next step forward in the sport. The trouble is many people do not like change and it will be difficult to orchestrate.

We need a set length and set focus to make our game more media acceptable...

manike