The Home Of European Paintball

On field Chrono... Intresting

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
On-field Chrono

Having one "chrono-on" chrono that is different than the "on-field" chrono that a judge can use to check your 'gun during the game is a recipe for disaster. I've seen different chronographs register speeds as variable as 30 fps difference. That's bad, bad news for those of us (such as myself) that like to run our 'guns as close to the limit as possible, confident that our 'guns won't shoot hot (that is, unless we're subjected to such a wildly variable chrono during the game).

I see two options right off the top of my head: First, calibrate all chronos that are going to be on a field together so that, before play starts, you know they're registering the same. Check them a couple of times during the day to make sure they're not splitting. Or second, if you're going to use an on-field chrono (the hand-held models), then use it as your "chrono-on" chrono as well. This is what the Snake Hyperball field in Chi-town was doing.

As always, my humble opinion...
Justin
Saberwolves

DARREN

Semi *** member
Jul 6, 2001
Bristol
Chrono`s ?

I couldn`t agree more that ALL the chrono`s at any tourney should be accurate !!. In our first tourney at Temple england we lost 3rd place to a "Hot" gun,when it was chronoed on the field we were playing,and yet the chrono everyone used to set there guns still said it was under by 15fps,
The moral of this is ALWAYS (if you can) set your gun over the field you are playings chrono.
Oh and we weren`t the only team that had "hot"guns during the day,and they were just as surprised as we were !!!.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Um, hello guys...isn't there a simple solution to this problem too which can be RIDICULOUSLY EASY to implement? Just have the referees check the field chrono to be in agreement with the on/off chrono by shooting several guns over each to see if they are consistent with one another (within an average range) before the whole thing starts. It can't be too hard to do that.

Wookie

Grumpy Sys*****
That's what they did!

The chronos they had on the field werre all tested before the games started so that they could be "roughly" set against the main field chrono.

What happened to Andy Piper was that (as far as I know) he was over 30 fps over the field limit when the onfield chrono got used. Big John had stated at the captain's meeting that all it took was _one_ reading over 300 for a player to be eliminated. That was the one reading. the fact that Andy tried to tell the marshall that it was inaccurate is another matter. At that sort of level you _have_ to obey the marshalls. When all is said and done, they are in charge of safety.

Wookie

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Then what was the damn problem?!

If it said (next question was it accurate) he was over by 30 fps, it's pretty sure that within that range he WAS in fact shooting hot. I've used handheld chronos before and they're definately consistant enough to where such a measured velocity is well within their right to be called hot. If it was around 3fps or so, then he definately had a case for himself. But this? I'd have told him to shut his pie hole.

go-one

Nout wrong !!!

Toulose had it sorted, chronos by the player tent to set to (Roughly). Field chrony ON, all players had time to adjust if they wanted. ( I tweeked mine between fields if needed to compensate for the different chronys) On field only used if someone seamed to be WAY over. I never sore one used in three days play. If your 30 over NO EXCUSE. End of the day if you go over the on field @ 301 the marshel SHOULD use his common sence and do another shot or two, I would !!! Go over @ 320, take a walk !!!!!

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Geez...look at all the trouble people get in trying to squeeze out that extra fps or two, or simply using ****ty regs that don't work. NO COMPETENTLY SET UP GUN SHOOTS THAT HOT NONDELIBERATELY. There is no way that cannot be his fault. Anyone should think more of the entry fee they've spent and the expenses of their team instead of using a gun that either is set up improperly, inconsistent, or deliberately dialed up to shoot hot. He and his team paid the price for poor choice of equipment. Anyone should know what they're using better than that long before stepping out into any serious venture, particularly involving any sizeable amount of money.

jeff

Banned
Jul 10, 2001
Surrey. England.
Visit site
Just a quickie to say that Andy 'THE PIE' Piper is one of the most honest, safety conciencious guys that play the game!!
He would never knowingly play with a hot gun, dial up a gun during a game or argue with a marshall unless he was convinced he was being treated unfairly.

Other than that, he is a fat, ginger t**ser!!!!!!!!!

...(sorry Pippa)

NIALL

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
My Side of the whole story (Piper)

Right why not ask me what happened instead of posting all this crap! I have been playing now for approx 10 years and in that time I have had a handful of hot guns, we all get them it happens. Now the whole Ferral Jesters game went like this:
The marshall puts the hand held chrono over my gun then goes away in the time he came back I had used half a hopper of paint. All he said was I was out, now that is fine I have no problem with that, but aleast tell me why. So he said I have a hot gun fine off I go. hen he 1 for 1's me. Now the whole argument starts. Why 1fo1 me for a hot gun? Cos it is in the rules I am told ok fine show mw where it says that and I have no problem with it. Guess what it is not in the rules........ So the marshalls made a mistake that happens aswell........ As for me being30 fps over I was 20 fsp over and the main chrono read 280 and 2 of the on field chrono read 280 and the one I was chronoes on read 320. So you tell me how 3 chronos can read so differently? Oh yeah I forget to mention that the field chrono's have to be regulated against the main chrono every 5 games and that one chrono was not done for 10 games!
As for Jeffs comment about being fat and a tosser....... Tell me something I don't know! As for being a cheat you people obviously don't know me!!!!!!!!
See Ya
Piper:D :D