Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

One for the refs

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I one4oned my own brother, deal with it lol. I saw him take a shot on his hopper and watched him stay posted and ask the ref on the opposite side of the shot for a check, to be fair the ref didnt check him properly and called him clean from the side line, he played on so I ran over and made the call. He was pissed, but your hopper is a self check area after all. It still puts a big smile on my face when I think about it.

If I get shot and pulled then ok, if I'm bending the rules and pulled its a fair cop, if I'm being pulled for something I know is wrong, the ref's going to know about it!
This is really frustrating because i don't see why a player should be penalised for a referee's error. if a referee incorrectly checks a player and calls him clean and another ref sees this error i would expect them to only eliminate the player. shame it works out different in practise usually.

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
This is really frustrating because i don't see why a player should be penalised for a referee's error. if a referee incorrectly checks a player and calls him clean and another ref sees this error i would expect them to only eliminate the player. shame it works out different in practise usually.

This happened to me a couple of times in Conference last year. I just think that it's part of it all - there's only one of you and several refs. If one of them sees something the other hasn't, then at the end of the day, they are still a ref. You're out. End of conversation. etc.... Everyone's reaction is different, but from a player's point of view, ref is (theorectially) god, and whatever they say goes. Then again, I have had a few premmature calls (i.e. calling out when it's bounced off the mask, that's happened a few times) - never quite sure what to do there.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
This happened to me a couple of times in Conference last year. I just think that it's part of it all - there's only one of you and several refs. If one of them sees something the other hasn't, then at the end of the day, they are still a ref. You're out. End of conversation. etc.... Everyone's reaction is different, but from a player's point of view, ref is (theorectially) god, and whatever they say goes. Then again, I have had a few premmature calls (i.e. calling out when it's bounced off the mask, that's happened a few times) - never quite sure what to do there.
yeah its absolutely the case that if i see someone playing with a hit then 1 for 1, but if i was to see a player with a hit across the field and the ref over there doesn't see it and tells him he is clean then i personally would only eliminate the player, even although it is strictly a penalty. i know i'm not making this terribly clear but if a player only plays on because a referee makes an error then they definitely shouldn't be assessed a penalty (assuming the other ref sees this error) a few seconds later by another ref.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
agree and disagree at the same time,
the first ref didn't see the hit BUT depending on how strict to the rules the refs had been told to be if the ref had seen the hit it would have been a 141 any if as you say the player stayed posted, the strict letter of the millennium rules state that the player may not make an aggressive move, posting your marker in a position to give you a shot at the opposition could be seen as this and therefore perceived as playing on, if you intend to call a ref to check you for paint then you should drop your gun.....also some refs would give a 141 for hopper hits as this is somewhere a player can easily check himself without needing a ref to call him out. Last season we were told that if a player needs to be told he is hit then give a 141.
anyone that says they don't feel or cant hear or see their own hopper getting shot is talking rubbish, as a ref i usually hear a lot more hopper shots than i see actually happen, you can hear the sound a mile away and it doesn't take long then to see who got hit.

at the same time this particular instance it sounds like the ref went to pull the player simply because it was his brother, the fact he gave a 141 us irrelevant as that should have been the call given by the first ref anyway.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
Then again, I have had a few premmature calls (i.e. calling out when it's bounced off the mask, that's happened a few times) - never quite sure what to do there.
unfortunately that one is down to human error, if it really did bounce then the ref is in error but if he has called you out then it is down to him to apologize later to the ultimate who will speak to the team captain. If he saw the ball break and the paint spray then its a hit, unfortunately sometimes when a ball clips the edge of something, mask, hopper, gun etc it doesn't always leave much of a mark but if the ref saw the ball burst then it counts, there is no minimum size for a hit anymore (thank god)

secret-squirrel

London Tigers
Nov 1, 2010
Herts
agree and disagree at the same time,
the first ref didn't see the hit BUT depending on how strict to the rules the refs had been told to be if the ref had seen the hit it would have been a 141 any if as you say the player stayed posted, the strict letter of the millennium rules state that the player may not make an aggressive move, posting your marker in a position to give you a shot at the opposition could be seen as this and therefore perceived as playing on, if you intend to call a ref to check you for paint then you should drop your gun.....also some refs would give a 141 for hopper hits as this is somewhere a player can easily check himself without needing a ref to call him out. Last season we were told that if a player needs to be told he is hit then give a 141.
anyone that says they don't feel or cant hear or see their own hopper getting shot is talking rubbish, as a ref i usually hear a lot more hopper shots than i see actually happen, you can hear the sound a mile away and it doesn't take long then to see who got hit.

at the same time this particular instance it sounds like the ref went to pull the player simply because it was his brother, the fact he gave a 141 us irrelevant as that should have been the call given by the first ref anyway.
everything you said applied to this situation, well except the last bitabout me just wanting to pull him, he's been playing long enough at a level high enough to know that if a player stays posted whilst asking for a check in a self check area its a 141.

As a player of several years myself, I ref the rules at a strictness assessed by the level of tournament I'm reffing at that time.

Last edited:

bug

Platinum Member
May 8, 2005
Essex, UK
Visit site
Being the brother in question, I need to amend a few things
A) it was a shot on the side of the googles not hopper, I could not see if it had burst or bounced( had numerous bounces that day due to the weather) so called for a check. Before it is pointed out its a self check area I have been pulled for using my hand to wipe the area and check before, so if I can't see it I call for a check.
B) As far as I was aware as long as you freeze you are not having an advantage, I stayed posted but was not going to pull trigger until called clear
C) the front of the rotor is notorious for getting shots and not giving the player any spray there were 3 instants alone at Bricket Wood this weekend, it is grey area that will remain as I always see self check area is something you can feel.
D) my real issue with refs is being static do not stay on the side lines all game the player can be shot from both sides so they need checking.
E) bro was probably getting me back for shooting him at the start gate or 141 over the years lol, but I did just walk and then call him a cock after

bug

Platinum Member
May 8, 2005
Essex, UK
Visit site
As a player of several years myself, I ref the rules at a strictness assessed by the level of tournament I'm reffing at that time.[/quote]

Oh and it was a charity event you git hardly a serious event lol